jumper03

Does anyone drop streamers before first jump anymore?

if the winds are kinda funky (ie. uppers in the opposite direction of ground winds), we drop one on the first load, otherwise the first load is the 'wind drift load'. we almost always do before the first student load of the day. i don't think i've ever seen one dropped out of an otter (in my limited experience), i guess that went the way of spotting.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

We drop them before the first lift of every day, and before resuming student parachuting if we've been stood down for wind. We also often drop them if for whatever reason we haven't dropped students till later on in the day to check things haven't changed since the morning. And we often drop them before dispatching students on rounds just to double check.

Making WDIs is one of the first ground-skills our students are taught, and they love it :ph34r:
----
Yay! I'm now a 200 jump wonder.... Still a know-it-all tho..

WDI's are still used on some demo jumps that I'm on, especially the tight ones. I think with the advent of near instantaneous wind and weather reports via phone or radio for a certain area, people don't depend on WDI's much anymore.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

The last place I jumped at we used them on the first load of the day. I've never seen it done anywhere else though. I figured they just did it there because they had round reserves and some big lakes close by.

We never bought them though. We made our own with 4 pages of trade-a-plane rolled up and taped to the end of a 10ft by 1ft piece of crepe paper.

Naw, We use students....;)

We generally drop WDI's on the first load everyday depending how squirrly the winds are. We hardly ever put students on the first lift so by the time they jump, winds, landing patterns and spots are pretty well defined by the up-jumpers.

BSBD
Home of the Alabama Gang

The USAF Academy uses them on the first load of the day, and after a weather hold. Interperating WDI info properly can lead to a good amount of knowledge of what the winds are doing. It's a lost art, but it is very helpfull, that's for sure. I have scene that hot air baloon dudes release a small party balloon into the air to see what the winds are doing. That could be helpfull too, but it won't tell you if there is lift or sink out there.

Ahh.. the lost art of spotting....CSPA rules sez,a wind drift is to be thrown before 1st. load of the day,If there hasn't been a load for over 90 minutes or there's a significant change in wind direction... all good stuff.
At our DZ the DZO had a standing bet...at the first WD throw,the thrower could put up 10 dollars to try and win 100 dollars, by throwing the WDI at the guessed spot and attempt to land the WDI in the bowl, Vic Boghese never had to pay out in 32 years

Only if I was jumping a round.

I let someone else throw the damn thing at LP for the Water Jump.. and shit.. he threw it 1/4 mile short and it looked like it was headed for the trees.. SOOOOOOO on jump run I checked the white caps..( old trick at Homestead) and adjusted the jump run accordingly.. geee I managed to land right in the middle of the lake like I wanted to and not the dayum trees:)

We drop them before the first lift of every day, and before resuming student parachuting if we've been stood down for wind.

For all of those who said "before student operations".... What type of student operations, SL or AFF....

Ahh.. the lost art of spotting....CSPA rules sez,a wind drift is to be thrown before 1st. load of the day,

Technically it does say "wind drift indicator or rate one turn". (Canadian PIM 1, Sec. 3.3. No change for many years.)

So drop zones have an alternative to a WDI.
But when I go to a Canadian DZ flying a Twin Otter or King Air, I don't seem to recall seeing either... :)

At the DZ I jump most at, we still use WDI's. A bit of a bother but they are very good at showing the winds!

Not a lost art, just no longer needed with the advent of multiple R'navs in da panel! Your jump ship captain knows how to use deez gizmos and put you right on target correcting for winds aloft and dem on the surface!

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHT

Thats why NO one ver lands out anymore.

Our DZ does throw a WDI before first load daily. People need to remember that the WDI doesn't give you the spot, it can only tell you about where you want to be open... We throw it at around 3 grand. If the uppers are really moving, you still need to adjust for freefall drift, and this really is a lost art... [:/]
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1