NewGuy2005

There is no "muscle memory"

You're right, if you want to get technical, I guess. Kind of like years of soccer and baseball and playing as a youth have taught us to react quickly without thinking about it. If someone throws something my way, it's usually caught even if I'm not looking or paying attention. If you just catch a glimpse in your peripheral vision, the brain will cause you to react appropriately. I guess you could almost call it a reflex. Anyway, muscle memory was a term used in the gym when you would have some time away from working out. Your muscle memory would let you get back to the point you were quicker than if you had never been to that point before. That's the only other time I could remember hearing "muscle memory" before I began studying skydiving.

Anyway, we all know what it means and it's a good place to be.

Ok beer light is on:)

At Perris we call it 'Green Light'. Don't know when it got changed from 'Beer Light' but it has.

Or is it just a more 'politically correct' term in this commercial day and age? :ph34r:

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

At Perris we call it 'Green Light'. Don't know when it got changed from 'Beer Light' but it has.

Or is it just a more 'politically correct' term in this commercial day and age? :ph34r:

ltdiver

Interesting.. only time I've ever heard green light was in the plane :)

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

ltdiver

Interesting.. only time I've ever heard green light was in the plane :)

Both mean "GO!" don't they? :D

ltdiver

There is TOO!! How else would zombies walk? DUH!

Remember that there are two different kinds of Zombies. There are Zombies infected with Solanum; and those that are created by Voodoo! Voodoo Zombies feel pain, have memory, show thought, recognize their surroundings, and they recognize fire!

The zombies that I think you are speaking of are essentially a corpse.They are infected with solanum before they die, and reanimate after death. Their circulatory system, and digestive tract do not work.(the meat simply sits in it's original undigested state in all tracts of the digestive system and remains there until the stomach bursts.)The lungs and brain are still used though not in the way humans use them. The human respiratory system is obsolete to a ghoul. It does not separate oxygen and carbon dioxide as the zombie needs both to exist. This is how zombies are able to walk under water. The mental capacity of an average zombie is somewhere below that of an insect. Their brains are oxygen dependant, but have never shown the ability to employ reason or logic.
The life span of a zombie is dependant on it's environment and how quickly the body decomposes. The walking dead tend to move at a slouch or a limp. Even without injuries or advanced decomposition, their lack of coordination makes for an unsteady stride. Speed is mainly determined by leg length. Zombies are incapable of running.The fastest zombie has been observed to move at a rate of barely one step per 1.5 seconds.The strength of the dead lies in their amazing stamina and endurance. They will function endlessly (zombies do not need sleep) until their muscles disintegrate. Zombies have little hand eye coordination. In the case of ladders, where simple hand over hand coordination is required, only one in four zombies will succeed.Balancing or jumping is beyond their ability.

Oh... one more thing.... you don't kill a zombie by chopping off it's head! The head will still be alive and IT WILL bite you and infect you if you walk by the severed head in a close enough proximity. You MUST destroy the brain by any means possible in order to kill the zombie.

Just a couple of things to keep in mind if you find yourself in a post apocolyptic wasteland.

Blue skies :)

"Being in the loop"
What the hell is being in the loop? It sound like someone is trying to commit suicide or working at a circus.

I think it probably refers to the Boyd Loop - the action, thought, reaction cycle that some guy came up with during WWII for predicting how battles are fought. If your Boyd Loop was shorter/quicker than your enemies, you got 'inside' his loop and you would probably beat him because you could react faster to his attacks than he could to yours (in short!) :PB|

"Gut feeling"
What the hell? Guts ain't got no feelings!

Speak for yourself! Mine do the morning after a curry and several beers...:)

"Instant potatoes"
That's impossible - adding water takes time!

A sign of the supermarket generation! Potatoes come out of the ground - not out of the packet! Whether they can be cooked instantly... they do, of course, take time to grown, just like pixies ;) :D

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

>At Perris we call it 'Green Light'

In San Diego too. Edge had an actual green and red light bulb he'd turn on and off to indicate the 'state' of the loft.

Must have been awhile ago ;) Never heard that in San Diego :P

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

I keep hearing the term "muscle memory." There is no such thing. It would be more appropriate to call it subconcious control or some otehr term that gives credit to the brain. Muscles have no capacity for anything like memory.

Ever heard of a childhood memory? It is a memory OF your childhood. It does not imply that your childhood is a memory-having entity.

My point is that the term "muscle memory" does not imply your muscles have a memory. You inferred that. It describes a phenomenon that has to do with both memory and muscle control.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

when you get your instructional ratings you can call it whatever you wish

nice

that said, using generally accepted phrases is sometimes not the right thing if your audience includes someone foreign, etc.

that said, semantics threads get old - quick

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I saw a show on the discovery channel last week that actually mentioned that scientists are finding that muscles and even organs can store limited amounts of actual memory. There have been documented cases where a person received a donated organ and inherited a chunk of the personality of the donor. Sometimes, when the donor's death was mentally or physically traumatizing, the patient even remembered the entire course of events that lead to the donor's death.

In one case they mentioned, a kid had committed suicide by a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head, and the woman who received his liver was able to remember the last conversation that he had with his girlfriend, and was able to sing along with all the underground rap lyrics he had listened to, and she even liked them. (this 40-year-old lady originally hated rap)

I guess the theory is that muscles and organs still have complicated networks of various types of nerve cells (many of the same cells that are found in the brain) and these systems are capable of developing the same connections that the brain does, resulting in 'cellular memory' or something. I dunno.

Maybe muscles do have memory?

Aagh guys, please don't take the mickey, although "until you get your instructor's rating" did make me giggle...

Muscle memory is not an exact term, but using it in skydiving validates the more that you use the correct muscles to fly and are comfortable with using those muscles, sub-conciously you use them, hence utilising your body to fly the best.

The term "muscle memory" has been passed down to us lesser mortals from the best in the sport to let us understand in the simplest terms - remember, skydiving is not rocket science!

As a student, if you look into things too technically, you will get confused - do as your instructor says and do NOT think independately - "Simon Says, Simon Does;)

Liz

Muscle memory is not an exact term, but using it in skydiving validates the more that you use the correct muscles to fly and are comfortable with using those muscles, sub-conciously you use them, hence utilising your body to fly the best.

Muscle memory, the term, is used alot in my profession as well. Physical Therapy. All it means is 'position sense'. We have many receptors in our body to tell us the position, pressure, and tension that our body is under to exact a response.

Someone mentioned 'proprioception'. Yes. A knowledge of not only -where- a body part is but -what- it is doing and -how- to exact the response that you're looking for.

Muscle Memory is a term used by therapists, athetic trainers, and kinesiologists alike. It's a good term that we all can understand.

ltdiver