airdvr

How many jumps before first mal?

Jump 18, Ripcord deployment, on Telesis rig.
Hop n Pop deployed unstalbe off my back.
Bag went through leg, spun me through the risers, had line twsited around my ankle and my arm spun up in the right riser.
Got the lines off my ankle, wrenched my arm out, looked at the shit above me and chopped on an SOS.
Results.
sore ankle, line burns on arm and leg, and very humbling experience.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

First jump, IAD, looked up saw what looked like bag lock, looked at handles peeled cutaway handle just about to pull then herd good canopy jumper #3.
carefullly put handle back and then landed on my own as the radio went dead. was no bag lock i just looked up to soon and had no concept of time.
after that i knew i could cutaway if needed.
1300 jumps later still waiting. knock's on wood!

Michele - Not only a great story, but great narrative skills...

Ciels Bleus a toi aussi

nick

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

First Malfuntion a ball of garbage over my head that was not going to open. It was a Papillion.. and I attribute it to EXCELLENCE in PACKING.. on my part. Pulled the Capewell releases and chopped.. Got my kicker plate from my bellywart reserve back.. it was in the main;)

That was sport Jump #5

First Malfunction in my second jumping lifetime..( 22 year layoff) a little over a month ago...I was going very fast and when I tossed my pilot chute.. I had an insta-canopy with 5 broken lines.. I chopped.. and landed a standup in the peas...all my trash landed within 100 ft of the peas... I guess I had a good spot:)

#1:
Jump #731, 18/01/1999
Tension Knot in outside A/B lines on my largest formation jump (even upto today)

#2:
Jump #809, 10/4/1999
Broken steering line, spinning and lots of line-twists...

#3 to 8:
All tandem Malfunctions
Lineover (2x)
Broken steering line (1x)
Broken riser (1x)
Sticky lines (slider high) (2x)

One of my friends had to go for her reserve last weekend on AFF 7. When she pulled the ripcord it got caught and would not release the main, she did really well though. I almost had to go for my reserve last weekend on AFF 6, couldnt find the ripcord at pull time. I ended up pulling at 2,500' which is way too low for me at the moment. :S
www.TerminalSports.com.auAustralia's largest skydive gear store

MY 3OTH JUMP ITS IN THE INCIDENTS SEARCH FOR HICKS. I IMPACTED IN A CORN FIELD AFTER RIDING A DOWNPLANE FROM APROX 5800' TO 100' AND THEN A SIDE BY SIDE. MY DESIRE TO SKYDIVE AGAIN HAS HELPED ME THRU RECOVERY I'M IN BETTER PHYSICAL CONDITION THAN I WAS BEFORE. I'M TARGETING 15 MAY 04 MY 31ST JUMP.

Jump number 60 - Had one line group wrapped around two others - My first thought was "how the hell did I pack this crap?" then I went into Plan B mode. - It was like I was watching some one else's hands going for the handles and pulling, it was so automatic for me. (TOUCH YOUR HANDLES OFTEN, KIDS!)

Once my reserve was over my head, I checked to see where my freebag and main were coming down (Both on the DZ, close by the main landing area) and picked a spot to land - I was right over the main landing area so I did a couple practice flares and went for the peas, stood up the landing, and really liked the way my reserve handles! Thanks, PD!

Sucky part was is was the first jump for me on a really nice Saturday, there were no rental rigs available and nothing I could bum off another jumper except for small ellipticals, which I'm not into. No riggers available at the time, either. DAMN!

So that kinda screwed my weekend -

Lesson learned - Don't pack with a good beer buzz going on a Friday night.

Jump #401 - tension knot and line twists, hard spin on my back, needed both hands to pull the cut-away handle, RSL beat me to the reserve handle and I found myself under my reserve with 4 line-twists. Had just enough time to kick out of the twists, fly rear risers back over trees, a pond, more trees and finally the airport. Lost the freebag and cutaway handle, friendly neighbor brought the main back.

Blue Skies
Billy
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Had a reserve ride on AFF Level 1 (was my second jump ever, if I count the tandem)! :S

Tension knot on the right side. Started spinning immediately after opening. I pumped the toggles, and tried to inflate the end cells because I thought that was the problem. But it wasn't, the canopy actually looked ok (for the eye of a first jump student).

I remember thinking "WTF, it looks nice, so why does it spin???"
Continued for something like 5 to 8 revolutions, until I was really sure that "it wasn't me". I didn't check my alti (my bad) but could see the ground, and it looked fairly high (pulled at 1500m).

Two handed cutaway, threw, two handed reserve pull, and even brought back the silver like we were trained to do (slipped it over my hand so it would dangle on my right arm). :D
I didn't realise that I had a student RSL, I remember wondering why the reserve was open so quickly (read: instantly) after pulling silver. :P:$

I walked away happy (though I didn't stand up the landing). The only thing that kinda spoiled my day was the smarta$§ in the packing hall who was laughing at me "Reserve ride on Level 1, you didn't find the toggles huh?". He had not been watching like the instructor on the binoculars who said that I did the right thing.

After "coming down" and drinking a coffee I thought about quitting, because I was scared. Went up 3 hours later for AFF Level 2 anyway, and was almost scared to death, thinking about all the other possible malfunctions that could happen. Haven't been so scared in my whole life, and never since. After an uneventful Level 2, my life was just great. B|B|B|

Conclusion:
I'd say the reserve increased my trust in the equipment and my abilities rather than "scaring me off" the sport. It seemed like a few jumps later I was much less scared than most of my fellow students.

Today 2 yrs and 300 jumps later I'm happy that I didn't quit. It's still the best thing to do besides breathing, eating and sex. No more reserve rides up to now. B|

Ich betrachte die Religion als Krankheit, als Quelle unnennbaren Elends für die menschliche Rasse.
(Bertrand Russell, engl. Philosoph, 1872-1970)

My first cutaway was at jump 113 a line over, sloppy packing on my part.
I am sure this does not count but as a student on tandem level three we had to cutaway because of broken lines. Two skydives for the price of one.:)
Memento Mori

293 jumps.....I was beginning to want to ask the C.I to take an extra rig on the front to do an intentional when my "nice" canopy openings of some 200 jumps turned sour. Can still see it as I have the whole thing on video.......Dumped stable , then the prick(et?) did a 360 degree turn , stopped completely then kept turning the other way till chop chop. I was doing a video of a four way fun jump but my lovely RSL made sure that I received a reserve that had around 8 line twists in it. (HATE RSLS!!) Kicked out and landed safely. Go Cypres! Ban RSLS!! BSBD! -Mark.

"A Scar is just a Tattoo with a story!!!"

I have had 4 that I let go, I admit that the first 2 I could have probably kept but they were both before 300 jumps and I was still too green to try anything else, the last 2 were at around 900 and 1100, both of those were under a highly loaded canopy ( 2.4 ) and things went to shit too fast.
I still believe I did the right thing cause I am still here.
:ph34r:
Still here after all these years

Clayton

On my 28th jump; had my own gear, but was in a 4-way scramble right off the A-check, so the DZO told me I could jump student gear. Managed to take out 2 end cells with the spring-loaded pilot chute. At first didn't notice I had a mal, but the stupid canopy kept taking hard left turns, so finally discovered my problem. Played around and discovered I could trim the canopy with about 3/4 break on my right toggle, but boy was my arm hurting when it came time for that final pseudo-flair/PLF. The funny part is I still made a proper landing pattern and only landed 50' from my target.

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

it was like a hundered years ago lol.In june of 1979 0n jump # 26 was my second releative work attemped and my partner cooked by me at mach speed but he did grab an arm on the way past .This flipped me over a couple times I regained stability and waved off, tracked ,reached for my front mounted ripchord when lo and behold it was gone lol.I could feel it hitting the back of my helmet but i tried to get it twice then went to the front mount reserve.Thats a lot of fun watching everyhing right in your face lol.Once on the ground i ask my 1st jumpmaster what I should have done and he told me I should of followed the housing to the cable and that would have lead to the ripchord.Humm would have been nice to know that in advance.Anyway I stuck to the plan reach twice go reserve.I actually made 2 jumps the following week

Jump 8, AFF7

i got the ripcord out about half a foot from my rig and pulled as hard as i could with both hands a couple of times but it just wasn't coming out any further, apparently the pin was lodged in so tightly it was caught on something and just wasn't going to release my main. Went for my reserve and landed it standing. Was a little shaken but didn't think i was all that fazed by it until they made me jump the same rig on next jump back two weeks later. That kind of made me a little nervous on my ride to altitude, it all went off ok but i spent the better part of the 20 min ride trying to convince myself i would be ok and i really did still want to be jumping (whilst holding back any possible tears). Now i think it's good they made me jump the rig again, i've jumped it twice since and now i have no fear of it, best to get right back on the horse rather than allowing something to become and issue in your mind.

And you shed not a single tear for the things that you didn't need
'Cause you knew you were finally free - Death Cab For Cutie