funks

Is the risk worth the reward?

Skydiving makes me feel alive. Close calls in anything not just skydiving really makes me feel alive. I don't feel the fear as much as when I started, but I can tell it is still there just that I am more used to it. I like close calls, just not too fond of the sick feeling in the pit of my stomach when something happens that makes me feel that I am certain of dying or being seriously injured. But if I make through intact, then I get really excited.

Skydiving is a dangerous activity. There are alot of risks. The majority of the risks though can be mitigated by: 1) Proper Education, 2) Proper Preparation, 3) Proper Execution, 4) Using Common Sense & 5) Being honest with one's self about one's abilities.

Most fatalities can be traced back to a breakdown of one of those steps.

If you follow steps 1 through 5, chances are you can reasonably expect to have a long prosperous career in this sport.

People will say "You can do everything right and still die." Yes, correct. However, chances are, if you do everything right, your gonna survive.

Lacking 4 & 5, Common Sense and Honestly assessing ones abilities, are two of the biggest causes of canopy fatalities/injuries these days.

So I would say, yes, the perceived risk is worth the reward, and I intend to keep jumping as long as I can.

--
My other ride is a RESERVE.

I voted "other". My answer is yes, but not to the extent that I can answer as certainly as the "yes" in your option.

The risk is only worth the reward to the extent that you as an individual are prepared to minimise that risk as much as possible. For example.... someone jumping a highly loaded canopy at 100 jumps who rushes a pack job and doesn't bother to get a gear check is loading the "risk" part of the equation.

I haven't been around long, but I've learnt some very sobering things - like people can kill or seriously injure themselves even under large student canopies, and that you can't be complacent about planes "because you can jump out if something goes wrong", and that people can fall out of harnesses, and... you get my drift. I love this sport, but I can't discount the fact that one day I may decide the risks are not worth it.
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

Well?:|

tough one, I mean it's only snow and cheese flavored biscuits. But you could run into a tree or even hit a raccoon. I don't know, I'll keep the scooter until I decide otherwise.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Skydiving is a dangerous activity. There are alot of risks. The majority of the risks though can be mitigated by: 1) Proper Education, 2) Proper Preparation, 3) Proper Execution, 4) Using Common Sense & 5) Being honest with one's self about one's abilities.

If you follow steps 1 through 5, chances are you can reasonably expect to have a long prosperous career in this sport.

People will say "You can do everything right and still die." Yes, correct. However, chances are, if you do everything right, your gonna survive.

Lacking 4 & 5, Common Sense and Honestly assessing ones abilities, are two of the biggest causes of canopy fatalities/injuries these days.

So I would say, yes, the perceived risk is worth the reward, and I intend to keep jumping as long as I can.

Same here, well written & well said.

If anyone answered no to this question, I'd be surprised they're on this website.

I agree with that.

I voted "other" - simply because I feel "hell yes", while most of my relatives would say "no". Also, because the answer varied as my stage of life varied. When I was single and childless, my own answer was yes. When I was raising my kids, the risks (to my wife's & then-young kids' lives) outweighed the reward (mostly to me only). Now that my kids are older, the pendulum's swinging back.

If anyone answered no to this question, I'd be surprised they're on this website.

You may be surprised how many people on this website have in fact given up jumping due to the risk factor.

I'm sure. And some of them may never come back, while others might do what I did - take a long time off during their current stage of life, and then come back during a later stage of life.

Of course it's worth the risk, we take that risk every time but do our best to minimize the risk while enjoying the reward...

Do you think the people that have died would agree with all these statements saying that it is worth the risk?

(if of course dead people could express their opinions;))

Of course it's worth the risk, we take that risk every time but do our best to minimize the risk while enjoying the reward...

Do you think the people that have died would agree with all these statements saying that it is worth the risk?

(if of course dead people could express their opinions;))

Knowing the risk they were taking in advance, assuming they did everything they could to be as safe as possible while taking said risks? I think they would say yes.
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...

For me the risks are fully worth it unless the people I get to jump with lose their safety consciousness.

Jumping with devil-may -care types REALLY sucks
especially when they start bumping & bouncing around you after not listening to 'fuddy duddy' reason.

It especially sucks if the bouncees friends continue in their BS anti-safety mode.

Then its a good time to find some new sky-buddies..... not necessarily a new sport.

:)

No. I base this on how I know people who have been seriously hurt and wish they had never jumped.

Most people who say they don't care if they get hurt don't really have a clue of what they are thinking. Spend a day with a guy who lives forever in a wheelchair due to his bad choices and see if it changes your mind.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

100% agreement. By the way, I didn't vote because the only YES option does not include people like LawnDart21 and me who like to jump in spite of the risks but not because of them and we do our best to minimize them.

HISPA # 18 POPS # 8757

If the risk isn't worth the reward, why would you jump ? The only two or three reasons I can think of are: 1.) to escape from an aircraft that's on fire and/or breaking up midair, 2.) professional/occupational (military, smokejumper, etc.), or 3.) because you LOVE it and it makes you a more complete person.

I actually did leave the sport in 1980 because too many people around me were going in or having close calls and I wasn't enjoying it anymore after six years. It was no longer worth it. Now I'm back all these years later because it's revitalized my life and because I believe I can be safe and because it's too beautiful not to jump.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !