Feeblemind

What do you look for in a boogie??

People. I like to go to boogies where I know I'll see a lot of my friends and have a chance to meet new ones. I'm less likely to go to a boogie where I know that I'll know absolutely no one.

Ease of getting there. Time and money are a factor, and if I can't get there, I can't get there. I have to make choices and boogies I can get to over a weekend or long weekend may win out over something farther away.

Location. Different from "ease of getting there." Is the boogie somewhere interesting/beautiful/ peaceful/whatever. Lost Prairie is the perfect example of this.

Good / fun organizing. The holiday boogie at Eloy is a great example of this - lots of different opportunities for different types/levels of skydivers. Anywhere Mad John is organizing.

That's what it's been so far for me...
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

For the AB, it's the helicoptor, the CASA, and Bradley's Beer.

For the Freefly Fest at Byron, it was the interesting zone landing contest (though sadly, winded out that Saturday)

Bridge the Gap - I already like going south for Excel.
Chicks Rock - same, plus Cal played UCLA so it was a well timed road trip.

I like boogies for seeing far off friends and making new ones(not you Brandon), doing zoo jumps from tailgates ( love hanging from the bar), laughing at all the people who had too much to drink ( yes, I can laugh at myself) and just getting my jump on.

The American, LP and Eloy sure fit the bill for AC. Byron was, well, I felt the Love.

And, tequila anyone?:)>:(
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Airplanes..... I want to JUMP... ALOT

People... I want to Party

Weather..... See Reasons Above;)

When you live in Seattle and have to fly elsewhere for like half the year to get to jump.. I want PERFECT WEATHER for my boogies.

Eloy in Winter

Lost Prairie in Summer

Chicks Rock in Fall

All pretty much fill the bill.

#1 Location.....I'm happy jumping around the Chicago area, so I don't want to travel far unless it's an area I'd like to visit

#2 Organizing....I'm upset I keep missing the Holiday Boogie because it sounds like they have awesome organizing there.

#3 Expenses.....I'm cheap. I want something to be worth my money

#4 People....I don't HAVE to know people at a boogie, but it helps if I know that there are going to be people that I like at one

All that said, one of the most enjoyable skydiving "things" that I've done was not a boogie...it was a skills camp. I probably won't go too far for a boogie (no more than a few hour drive), but I will go far for a good skills camp. I wish there were more!
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

*Facilities that can handle the boogie. I want enough showers with hot water and a good camping area.

*Friends or other cool people. I'm not really into the "huge boogie" thing where people have to start posting lists of which dzcommers will be there. I'm more concerned with knowing cool people i know are fun will be there.

*Reasonable registration fee. I'm sick of paying for other people to drink free beer. It's stupid.

I think the best boogies i've been to are the ones at Skydive Greene County. There is never a registraion fee, and Lee West usually feeds us some awesome food (for free). Great camping facility and clubhouse. It's truly and awesome DZ.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

All of the above!

Thinking back now, of the whole three different location boogies I've been to, I'd say the Food and Beer at Davis are tops. I appreciate good food, but can live with simpler stuff.

Tailgate planes and some organizing is really fun as well.

And of course, cool people!

I'm surprised to see that no one has mentioned the organizers. Perhaps this has something to do with time/experience in sport. Not that long ago, I was so driven to jump, that I didn't care what boogie I went to....I just wanted to jump. I just wanted to experience the whole thing with my friends. That's all that mattered.

As time has passed, the big boogies aren't that much of a draw to me as much as they had once been. I find that I prefer quality over quantity now, for one reason. Money. I want my jump money to go as far as it can. That means progressing as much as I can for as little cash as possible. The only way I could do this in the air was to jump at boogies that had plenty of organizers. Now dont get me wrong......the Holiday Boogie has TONS of organizers, but it also has TONS of people wanting to get on the organized jumps. Its hard to keep on focused organized jumps there. By focused, I mean all jumpers of basically the same level....cept for the organizer. ;) That is where you really start to gain experience exponentially.

The smaller boogies with a turbine and an experienced organizer are the best I have found. Case in point. The first Moab boogie had TJ Langren as the organizer and 2 turbines, a KA and Otter. I basically spent the whole boogie jumping with TJ and others as there wasn't much of a demand on him due the size of the boogie. It also gave me exposure to other good jumpers that I have come across at other places and was able to jump with them easily. My club also flew out Chris Salcone for our first boogie, and I was able to jump with another world class freeflyer. I also made a good friend, as Chris is one of the coolest guys I have met in the sport.

Little turbine boogies, with good organizers is the best way to spend my money I have found. As far as friends go, if you stay in the sport long enough, you'll find that no matter where you go....you'll have friends there. Thats the best part.

------------------------------

Controlled and Deliberate.....

I'm surprised to see that no one has mentioned the organizers.

Ahem... from my post above.... :P

Good / fun organizing. The holiday boogie at Eloy is a great example of this - lots of different opportunities for different types/levels of skydivers. Anywhere Mad John is organizing.

More on organizing ... personally, I like to mix things up a bit when I work with organizers. When I had just under 100 jumps I spent a long weekend at Perris working with their organizers, and I liked their philosophy of putting no more than a couple low-timers on a skydive. That way, we get to experience successful skydives, work within a functioning four-, five- or six-way jump, and get a good solid debrief that has more to talk about than "well, we funneled the exit and spent the rest of the jump trying to get everyone in the same piece of the sky." (And believe me, I've been on some of those!:)
I do see your point of working with people of similar experience levels, and I definitely have a lot of fun and have learned a lot on those jumps, too.

Oops......my bad.

I firmly believe that low timers should keep it really simple, read: no more than a 2 way. Now I'm talking freeflying here. So to clarify, jumping with others your skill level can be a good thing, and a bad thing.

Good thing first......its usually your friends, and its enjoyable. Your both experienced and safe, know each others movements and work well together.

Now bad.....its usually your friends, and its enjoyable cause you don't know any better. Your both inexperienced and no one else will jump with you, you don't know how to fly your body and you can't see a collision about to happen, and its a total clown act.

This is where having a good organizer helps you be safe at a boogie, and gain the safety skills (if the organizer is good), by pairing equivalent skill levels togehter and challenging them on a dive. The trick is to be totally honest with what you can do when asked by the organizer. This is no time to tell people you can do what they have planned, and really know inside that you are over your head. You will learn nothing and you will put yourself and others at risk. Obviously this goes to the newer jumpers, but it also pertains to experienced jumpers as well. I have told Amy Chem, Andy Farrington and such that they dive they are planning that I am in is advanced for me......so please put me in the slot that wont fuck it up for everyone. Not a single time have I been asked to sit it out, mainly because I have given the organizer the tools he/she needs to put me where I can succeed. Sometimes they tell me to do what is advanced for me, and that I can do it....that is where you really start learning. Yes, its riskier, but you don't learn sittin on the outside watching either. And those peeps are good enough to absorb my waffling if things get tough.;)

Enough on this hijack....I could talk about the benefits of good organizers all night. Its good for the visiting jumpers, it fills the planes, it keeps jumpers safer and it creates an awesome vibe when you can share the same airspace with the kind of people/skill mentioned above....and much more.

ps. I love jumping with Amy. She makes me feel world class every time I'm in one of her dives.

------------------------------

Controlled and Deliberate.....

Lift Capacity!...I want to jump....alot. Chances are I'm with a crew and if I'm not I'll have a whole bunch of new friends at the end of the boogie. If I'm at a boogie and manifest is 3 or 4 loads back I want to scream. Organizers...they're great, but if I can get in the air with people over and over, we'll get it going. Organized is better then not but I just want to jump, land, do it again till the sun goes doen. Then eat, drink...alot, wake up and do it again!

Oh yeah....everyone that keeps saying "All of the Above"? That Boogie kicked ASS!;)
Faith in a holy cause is to a considerable extent a substitute for lost faith in ourselves.
-Eric Hoffer -
Check out these Videos