bastichu

Do you tell your employer that you do skydiving?

Ive learnt not to tell any employer anything about my free time. I dont know if they become jealous or annoyed because they feel your not giving them 110% but I left 2 of my old jobs over similar things.
Losers should try to live a little >:(

Once upon a time I went to an interwiew and told my employer-to-be that the Herc boogie was sacred.
A year later he argued when I was about to go there.
Simply told him that there were two options:I go there and come back afterwards.
Or I don`t come back.:)

I also think so. But i could also imagine that maybe management associates with skydiving that you are willing to take the risk even in your job which could be successful in many cases. But it surely depends on the kind of enerprise you are working for...

Sebastian

I was told that management does not like any extreme sports in their employee's vita.
When I'm applying for an internship I often wonder whether to keep it or not in the free time section.

So please tell me - how do you handle this?

http://www.ziehleine.de -> SKYSPORTS

Generally speaking, the less you tell other people the better position you're in.

The major exception to this would be if the boss is an actual skydiver (as opposed to a 1 jump wonder).

Saying nothing does essentially no harm.
Saying anything leaves interpretation up to the listener.

The listener -may- think of you as reckless or worse. The listener -may- think you are an additional heath care cost risk.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I started skydiving after working at my current job for a year. Most people/bosses thought it was cool and always are interested in details about it. The president of the company gave me the "only idoits and bird shit fall out of the sky," but he was more or less joking.

When I was doing my AFF I told my boss's boss that it helped with my job because it was a great tool for stress managment and quick thinking. If you can stay cool and focused while falling at 120mph then having 10 people on your shit about something that isn't going to kill you is much less stressful. He seemed to agree and always talks about doing a tandem. It can also provid good BS material at work functions/dinners . A handful of people I work with have done either AFF, Static Line, or a Tandem but no regular skydivingers. I don't know if I'd put it on an application but throwing it out in an interview could be usefull in that they might remeber you from a stack of 15 resumes'

The majority of my personal statement submitted to law schools was centered around skydiving. I'm not sure yet if it was a good or bad idea because I am still waiting to hear back. However, I would say it could be an advantage to bringing that up with an employer. The first reason being that if it's going to cause a conflict, you might want to deal with that before taking that job. Second, I've found most people are very intrigued by the sport and it makes you out to be an energetic person which most companies look for. Good luck.

.-.

Im with you on this one Hazarrd. When Im hiring people I like to know what type of person they are, not just what jobs they have done in the past.

Also from the employee standpoint. If you are up front with them about it to begin with it will make it very hard for them to fire you for it down the road.
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, th

If you are a graduate with little experience i guess you could use skydiving to help in answering some questions (where appropiate) you have no answers for. Whether thats a good or bad thing will probably depend on the interviewer.

I'm a graduate and i use my experience in running the uni club and also to differienate myself from others.

But i do wonder if i'm doing trhe right thing.

A friend of mine (whuffo) recently went for a job in defence. He said the first thing they were told, was anyone with motorbike licence or who skydives leave now, because you are too high risk. "It would be like hiring a 99 yr old"
I find this very offensive personally, as a skydiver and a motorcyclist.

A friend of mine (whuffo) recently went for a job in defence. He said the first thing they were told, was anyone with motorbike licence or who skydives leave now, because you are too high risk. "It would be like hiring a 99 yr old"
I find this very offensive personally, as a skydiver and a motorcyclist.

Sounds like discrimnation, employment tribunal please!

My regional manager knows I jump glad I told him as I went to a boogie last summer and one of my staff was there too, while we were away someone put in a complaint to head office that we had gone on holiday together (work realationship policy gone crazy) him knowing why we had gone meant I didnt have to go through 'a chat'. He also is quite impressed by the fact I jump and has openly said it has changed his opinion of me in that out of everyone he least expected me to be a skydiver.

I think it depends, my employer knew i was into what she would consider as unusual hobbies from the start, and because of this, is happier to allow me time off for boogies and days off at short notice if a sunny spell occurs
LittleDJ!!- There is no such thing as a perfectly good aircraft!!!

I told mine, actually they got me started, they sponsored me to do AFF1 (£500 to charity).

Showed him video too, he just thinks I am crazy.

In the UK we have a health service very different to the USA, so if I break my leg I don't need health insurance it's paid for via your taxes that every working person pays.

All that said I have been there a while and my job is very safe. Doubt I would have said anything if I had only just started.

BOOM Headshot

I was told that management does not like any extreme sports in their employee's vita.
When I'm applying for an internship I often wonder whether to keep it or not in the free time section.

So please tell me - how do you handle this?

http://www.ziehleine.de -> SKYSPORTS

I told my employer during my interview that I jumped and that I compete and will need random dates off for it. they hired me on the spot.

but I also have skills in a field where it is hard, VERY hard for the employer to find someone like me, so if they didn't hire me, there competitor across the street would have. so for me it is kind of different.

come to find out later, that my boss has done a few tandem jumps and so has his wife.

I started after I'd been in my job for a year and all of the guys at work are great - their local pub is only a couple of hundred metres away so they joke about watching me fall out of the sky! :D
How is it that we put man on the moon before we figured out it would be a good idea to put wheels on luggage?

If you tell an employer that you skydive, it can be risky. There are more reasons to deny employment to a skydiver then there are reasons to take a chance at hiring one. Why would an employer want a "risk taker"? Most employers want safe consistent drones that will help ensure their own job security. They would prefer that you view your job as your life.

Think about how the majority of society views our sport. Then think about how many cool bosses you have had in your career span.

Not too many cool bosses out there, why clue them in on a cool sport?

UntamedDOG

It should be very hard for any employer to fire any employee based on what they do on their own time unless it is specifically written into a contract.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

a company not hiring a skydiver on the basis of 'they might get hurt' isnt very different from saying they wont hire women because "they might get pregnant" [:/]

Oh? I think it's -very- different.

The second case is protected by law, the first is not.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver