bastichu

Do you tell your employer that you do skydiving?

mine knows, hasnt affected anything thus far. besides i had to find out if i was covered with the provided medical insurance so of course my HR lady wad wondering why i was asking about "high rish sports"

No problem. Im covered and now my boss asks if i went jumping when i see him. ;)

ExPeCt ThE uNeXpEcTeD!
DoNt MiNd ThE tYpOs, Im LaZy On CoRrEcTiOnS!

B|I’m a corporate dude with Blue Cross and Blue Shield, and have skydiving screen savers, skydiving wallpaper, skydiving mouse pad and the 2006 USPA calendar hanging up. My boss’s boss is going with me this year and his boss has got 15 jumps himself…. But witnessed a bounce and never did it again. However, as long as what you do outside of work doesn’t interfere with you being able to perform your duties or discloses company information… you can do anything you want!:)

It doesn't matter how anyone else lives their life.... it matter how you live yours!

If you tell an employer that you skydive, it can be risky. There are more reasons to deny employment to a skydiver then there are reasons to take a chance at hiring one. Why would an employer want a "risk taker"? Most employers want safe consistent drones that will help ensure their own job security. They would prefer that you view your job as your life.

Think about how the majority of society views our sport. Then think about how many cool bosses you have had in your career span.

Not too many cool bosses out there, why clue them in on a cool sport?

UntamedDOG

Really depends on the job you're applying for. If you're applying for a job where competitiveness, independence and the ability to handle stress and *act* when action is needed it may do you some good to mention it. Developer at a small software company or some such. Depends on lots of variables though.

If you're going for a cubicle job in a large rigid corporation, same attributes aren't necessarily viewed upon favourably. These guys have procedures and want the exact same thing day after day - predictability being a huge factor.

So whether to use whatever connotations skydiving has really depends on the situation and circumstances. Requires good judgement.

My boss had to know. Small software company and he's gotta be able to get hold of me even in weekends if the shit hits the fan.

For the majority of jobs out there though, being predictable is more important than being independent. Easier for middle managers and HR girls/guys to manage to workforce and anticipate needs that way.

I'm in Admin in one of those "cube farm" companies - Rio Tinto...luckily I'm on a mine site so we don't actually have those offices here. But I've got one of those really cool bosses that is actually reasonably interested (eg. I will be able to convince him one day) in doing a jump.

But I also think in any job being able to think on your feet is an advantage - and these days most employers will see it as such. It shows you can handle pressure - nothing at work will ever be as extreme as skydiving (to them anyway) so you should be able to handle any situation. Also I've found that no matter what people say, such as "You have to be crazy to jump out of a perfectly good airplane" (which of course the answer is: You haven't seen the plane) they are actually in awe of people who CAN do it...

My $0.02....
How is it that we put man on the moon before we figured out it would be a good idea to put wheels on luggage?

Its on my CV, under interests, along with music/drumming/being in bands.

Mentions that I ran the university club (management things), part of a 4-way team (motivation), we took gold at a regional grand prix (successful) and I want to be an AFFI when I grow up (instructional abilities and long term aspirations). I dont tell them there were only 6 teams in the junior catagory, weather meant it was only over 1 round and was at the end of the season.
Its something interesting for them (and me) to talk about as they probably havent talked to anyone about it before, so its something away from the ususal stuff. I think Its good for them to know how well I can convey information aswell.

So I think most of it isnt about skydiving, getting hurt, not being able to work at all. Its more about job/life skills they are looking for.

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

It should be very hard for any employer to fire any employee based on what they do on their own time unless it is specifically written into a contract.

How do you draw that conclusion? That would only apply if you are working pursuant to an employment contract. But the vast majority of people who have jobs do not have employment contracts. Most US states are "employment-at-will" states. That means that if you (like most people) don't have an employment contract, then as long as the employer isn't violating civil rights laws or something like that, an employer may terminate an employee-at-will for a good reason, a bad reason or no reason at all. In most cases, that means if your boss wants to fire you because he doesn't like the color of your shirt, or because you scratched your nose with your left hand instead of your right, or because you skydive, he may do so.

a company not hiring a skydiver on the basis of 'they might get hurt' isnt very different from saying they wont hire women because "they might get pregnant" [:/]

Oh? I think it's -very- different.

The second case is protected by law, the first is not.

that is the ONLY difference.. both are simply ignorant forms of discrimination about something that has little to nothing to do with the actual JOB... [:/]

I guess it depends on the type of person and the field of work you are in.

I am very personable and I do not mind telling people bits and pieces of me. Skydiving is something that I would share over many other things...

I am the boss at my work. My employees know that my job is super stressful and I am a workaholic, so they are actually happy to know that I have a release and something to get me out of town- thus away from the workplace!
Blue skies and SAFE landings!
~Amanda~

But I also think in any job being able to think on your feet is an advantage - and these days most employers will see it as such. It shows you can handle pressure - nothing at work will ever be as extreme as skydiving (to them anyway) so you should be able to handle any situation. Also I've found that no matter what people say, such as "You have to be crazy to jump out of a perfectly good airplane" (which of course the answer is: You haven't seen the plane) they are actually in awe of people who CAN do it...
My $0.02....

Yes, it depends on the job. If you were a paper pusher in a major company, they'd want you to follow internal business rules, have a stable productivity, be dependable and predictable. if your job entails mostly standardised procedures, there's little need for fast thinking on your feet. The overall "skydivers are wild madmen/madwomen" stereotype will do you no good. They may not want too independent a person who can get injured or killed and who's likely to want weird days off to go to some strange thing called boogies.

On the other hand, if you're applying for a job as a "firefighter" in a company, rushing out to fix hotspots in an ever changing environment where flexibility, reliance on good judgement and a good dose of personal responsibility is needed, mentioning skydiving might help.

Heh, guess it's just one of those annoying "eeeehm, depends." questions :P

It should be very hard for any employer to fire any employee based on what they do on their own time unless it is specifically written into a contract.

A company can fire you at any time they want as long as the reason does not involve age, sex or religious believes. If you do not part your hair on the the right side they can let you go.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

After showing a tandem video from 1998 of me of course to all the guys and a few of management they really believed I am a bit out of the Norm but again that is why they hired me in 2005. I keep them entertained with my new and different ways to do something extreme adn different..Also have gotten a few people wanting to come out when we are in town and not working....

Have always wanted to be a social butterfly but now I have the wind beneath my feet.

The reaction of your employer (or prospective employer) I think depends on your job level and type of organisation. I've always found it a useful attitudinal differentiator.
One of my final interviews for my previous job took the form of an invitation to the company courtesy suite during a rugby international in Johannesburg. I excused myself from the first half of the game and only made my way up to the suite after I jumped in at half time. That was an icebreaker!
You also need to get your employer behind you regarding skydiving activities when you need time off for a boogie or team practise.

Heres the trick, my boss is my 4-way team captain and one of my best freinds. He demands I take off for competition weekends, busy DZ weekends and important demos. The WFFC is also a company shut down for 12 days as far as he and I are concernd.
I would not tell if I were applying for annother job, they dont need that info unless it applys to the job.
HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.