jumpinfarmer

Tandem or AFF for first jump

Not for me but a friend wants to jump and I'm wondering if I should steer him toward an AFF or a tandem. He says he wants to go all the way and get his license. His father used to jump and he really wants to become a skydiver has the time and thinks he has the money so what should I recommend?

Thanks

I agree. It takes alot of pressure off of the first jump. When he decides to go for his FJC (or not), it will take alot of the unknown away from it and he can experience "sensory overload" with an alert, trained professional attached to him.

A tandem is a good thermometer for beginning to understand what skydiving is all about and if someone can handle it. I don't regret doing a tandem 1st. To me, it was money well spent, not wasted.

I don't know that I would have gotten into the sport had tandems not existed...but that's me and who knows what I would have done if tandems didn't exist. :)

Kim
Watch as I attempt, with no slight of hand, to apply logic and reason.

i say tandem too, Not just because of the over load thing. He might do it and decide it isnt something he really wants to keep doing?? :S
why anyone wouldnt is beyond me but i know people that loved it but had enough with one tandem.
I may not agree with what you have to say but i'll defend to the death your right to say it.

I did a tandem first then AFF.

I think if you can afford to do the tandem and then the AFF I would say do the tandem first. AFF is a lot of money to put down and then not go through with it. A tandem is no stress...just a taxi ride..and like it has been said make sure the TI is aware he is thinking about going further.

The"oh my god what the HELL is going on" stuff is'nt there as much on the second jump. He will take it in and remember it more because of his previous exposure to freefall and knowing what to expect. I could not wait to get out the door on my level 1 because I knew what was coming. I think I would have been bricking it and VERY stunned had my first jump been an AFF1. But that is just me, and then again I actually got more nervous further on in my course.:S

I definitely encourage a tandem first. If you tell the TM you are planning to go on with AFF, they will usually more than happily work with you on altitude awareness and turns during freefall, then show you the basic of canopy control and explain landing patterns. Even tho where I started offered for you to go right into AFF(some place make you do tandems first) I was really glad I didn't. It was so overwhelming to jump unattached as it was....if I hadn't already experienced a little bit of freefall and being under canopy, I think I may have had sensory overload.
~Dottie

“Everything looks perfect from far away.”
Postal Service, Such Great Heights

AFF, no need to put the monkey on his back if he already knows that he wants to get his license. If his dad is a skydiver then he probably already know a little on what to expect.

I did AFF first and i have no regrets..

The world is full of willing people, some willing to work, the rest willing to let them.

Having him do a tandem in most places would be no more then a joke. He gets little or no training.

Someone said, go on the taxi ride, use the barometer Ect Ect.., . Give him an easy way. Give him an out. Then he can decide not to push himself. He can sit on the couch and have another bowl of ice cream instead of going to the DZ and jumping. Why is America full of fat lazy people, because everything is so easy. Go for AFF or static line Have him do it himself, get the sand out and take charge. Good luck.
HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.

Why not just let him decide for himself. I know that I didn't want to do a tandem and went straight to AFF and had a great time and came back for more. I wouldn't push him either direction but give him the pro's and cons and let him decide for himself.

I know ill go to heaven because ive spent my time in Hell.

I vote for tandem ...
followed by static line ...
followed by AFF ...

The best raining program combines all methods at different levels.
Tandem is a great way to ease students through that huge sensory overload on the first jump.
Static-line (and IAD) are great for teaching canopy control and solo exits.
If there was a wind tunnel nearby, I would send him there before freefall lessons.
Finally freefall skills are best taught by AFF Instructors.
No single method is "best", it is just "best" at a particular level.

A tandem as the first skydive is like actually riding in a car before you start taking driver's ed. Sure, people can learn to drive without every being in a moving vehicle before, but overall its probably safer and more relaxing to go for your first skydive with someone else driving.

But hey...I still got that new skydiver smell ;) Letting him decide on his own is probably the best idea...he knows his comfort level with such things.

AFF, no point wasting money if it is in his blood and he knows he wants to do it.

I have to say Tandem, I've seen too many that KNOW they want to be a skydiver and never come back after the first AFF jump.

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Why would you assume that someone who does a tandem first is a "lazy American"?

Even someone who has been exposed to skydiving for many years can find that it isn't what they thought it would be and freak out/freeze up/ and never do it again.

If someone has never jumped before, a tandem isn't exactly the "easy way out." You still have to have the balls to do it. Whether your instructor is attached to you or next to you, no first skydive is easy when you're putting your faith in their abilities and your own for rewards you aren't even aware of yet.

If progress in the sport is such a cop-out, then maybe we should go back to rounds, get rid of AAD's, decent jump planes, 3-rings, and other such nonsense. :P Hey, let's do away with in-air instruction all together. The pioneers didn't have anyone holding their hand, right? :S

Obviously, it's up to him how he chooses to experience his first jump. His friend can give him the pro's and con's of each method. Sorry, I see no problem with taking advantage of whatever option appeals to the individual and making their own choice. I'm all lazy like that.

Now, back to my ice cream...lighten up!

Kim
Watch as I attempt, with no slight of hand, to apply logic and reason.