Chris-Ottawa

Why did you start skydiving?

Hey Everyone,

I'm curious to find out why everyone started skydiving. Can you please post info on when you first jumped, why you decided to jump, did you go alone or with friends, what did your friends/family think and what you remember from your first jump. Also include anything you thing is unique or interestig about your first jump.

As for me, and I'm sure this is pretty similar to alot of people, but I was 20 yrs old, jumped for the first time on Oct 22, 2005 and loved it. I wanted to jump since I saw skydiving on TV when I was about 10. So last year, I was living on my own, making decent money and said screw it, I'm going to jump from a plane. I went with a group of 7 and we all did tandems and we all got video. Needless to say, I was immediately hooked and am currently on Lvl 4 PFF and have 9 jumps including 4 IAD's and the tandem. As for my family, they encouraged me, they knew I understood the consequences and accepted that, plus I plan on dragging them up there soon.

I'm sure some of you guys and gals out there got into skydiving for interesting reasons, such as dares, bets, bachelor parties etc? Let's hear it!
"When once you have tasted flight..."

when I was 5, I watched a demo at an airshow. the skydiver landed, and was very nice to me.

I "at the age of 5" looked at my dad and told him I was going to be a skydiver. of course he laughed, but we still laugh about it till this day.

I started when i was 21, and I turn 32 this year. I never did a tandem, because I decided when I was 5 that I was going to be a skydiver, so I figured it was a waste of money. I passed all my AFF levels in two outing's.:)

When I was 6 or 7 I made a "parachute" out of a backpack and a hefty sack. Then I jumped out of a tree, I also tried jumping out of a swing on full swing. The parachute didn't work so well, but I didn't get hurt.

Fast forward to when I was a teenager. I loved reading military non-fiction and fiction. Including a LOT of special forces type stuff. Of course that had jumping in it.

When I was 20 I finally did a static line at Eagle Flight Skydiving knowing before my first jump that I would jump the rest of my life (or until I was too old and feeble to jump). After that jump I knew I wanted to be an instructor.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

1: 1974, 20 years old.
2: Drunken bet.
3: With 3 friends who were part of the bet.
4.: Family didn't know anything about it.
5: The smell of avgas on power off.
6: Felt totally alive, 10 foot tall, and bulletproof.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

Similar to you. Actually saw skydiving on the XGames and stuff like that as a kid. Then when the Power Rangers were really popular they had a movie and right at the beginning there was a big scene of freefly skydiving. I knew that it was something I HAD to do. I have always been interested in flying and skydiving is the closest thing.

Made my first tandem in August 2005 with two close friends. Made my second tandem just this week, plan on doing AFF some time this Summer.

I wanted to see what's it like to jump out of an airplane for a long time, so in the spring of 2003 after going through a divorce i thought it was time .. Did 2 tandems in 2 weeks and decided i wanted to learn this .. It did take me 15 jumps to finish AFF, but i am SO glad i did :)

A couple years ago, my cousin and his girl did tandems in Hawaii. When I watched their videos, I knew it was something I had to try.

...Fast forward to this past January...

I moved to Florida back in November, from Korea. A couple of my new Florida friends got into jumping not much before I. When I found out they skydive, I told them I wanted to go with them their next outing.

On a fine Saturday (1/7/06) I made my first tandem, and was back the next week for AFF. On that same load, my buddy Jaye did his AFF-4 and my buddy Mike jumped with a coach, learning to sitfly about 30 jumps post-AFF.

My folks weren't surprised that I did my tandem, but it makes them nervous as hell that I've taken a liking to the sport. I did get them out to the DZ when they came to visit and they watched me jump, deploy, and have a tip-toe landing. I think they're more concerned about how skydiving keeps making my credit cards hotter and hotter :o.

My friend walked up to me and said "you want to go skydiving this weekend?" I never really thought about it before that moment. I said "yes" cause I couldn't think of a reason to say "no". We made 2 jumps at the end of the season and we were back at the begining of the next season to get our licenses. It's one of the best things I've ever done, and I can't figure out why I didn't do it sooner. Thanx Steve!!
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

http://www.myspace.com/jump_land_pack_repeat

I've ALWAYS wanted to do it. Anytime someone I knew did I was jealous, and whenever I talked about my list of things I had to in my life, skydiving was on it. I am almost obsessed with feeling free and the thought of flying and being one with nature, and I just really wanted to try skydiving...I knew it must be something.

This winter, a new friend mentioned casually that he was going on skydiving. I freaked out and invited myself. I think he didn't quite believe me, but I bugged him all week about it, and even drove up to dz with him and another newbie. As soon as I landed from the first tandem, I asked "when I can I go again?" I did another tandem that day.

I, at first, put off AFF, because I was scared of the financial and time commitment required to graduate. But the next week, I was at the drop zone again and did an insane 3 more tandems, which we did in a progressive style(pulling, learning to turn and do forward motion, and canopy control). And I knew it was futile to continue to resist. I started AFF the next week, and now have my "A", and am completely won over by this sport and the amazing people I have met through it.
~Dottie

“Everything looks perfect from far away.”
Postal Service, Such Great Heights

My dad made my first parachute out of cellophane, string, and a toy soldier when I was six years old. I thought parachutes were wonderful. Sometime around then I saw a Navy frogman make a demo jump into Lake Ontario at an open house on a Navy ship. Then when I was seven, the "Ripcord" action adventure TV series debuted on Friday nights and I watched that sucker religiously. I always knew I would do it.

My parents wouldn't give me permission, so I had to wait 'til I was eighteen. Then there was a meeting with a movie (Carl Boenish's "Masters of the Sky") at the student union at my college and I signed up for the FJC. We got a good group discount - $35 apiece !!

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

When me and my sister were kids, we used to tie umbrellas, buckets and empty cartons to our belts thinking it would help us fly.

Most little girls had barbie dolls, I had an action man and I made him a parachute out of a napkin and threw him out my bedroom window. When I eventually did get a barbie doll, she was made to bungy jump (before I even knew what it was)using belts from mums dressing gowns.

I used to jump off our garden wall holding four corners of a blanket as a canopy above my head but never knew why.

I decided I wanted to skydive when I was about 11. I must have seen something on TV but cannot remember

I booked a tandem for my 18th birthday, but cancelled when someone died there the week before I was due to go

I then did a tandem for my 21st birthday.
Amazing experience in freefall but canopy hell.
Chest strap was so tight i could not breathe
Iinstuctor resused to loosen it
I started seeing stars and felt dizzy
I landed with no vision and no hearing
sight and hearing came back after a minute

hmmmm

It was still the best day of my life

Asked about AFF, and knew I could no way afford it!

played the tandem video to death for years

decided to fly a plane for my 22nd birthday. totally loved it, but knew something was missing

My sister went to live in NZ last year. She took up skydiving and a year later, I joined her. we now both jump in one of the most scenic places in the world.

I have always been scared of heights. If I stand on a chair my ankles go funny, and I could never ever do a bungy, weird eh!
xxxx
Miss3sixty

Skydiving- it has its ups and downs

Growing up, I spent a lot of time at the airport and airshows. Saw a lot of demo jumps. Thought they were cool. Fast forward to a vacation in Mexico and did a tandem. Fast forward some more when a new coworker said she was a skydiver and she kept pushing me to start. Finally did my AFF and spent my savings and most my income ever since.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I have a thing for nylon... I have since I was very small... so I suppose it was bound to happen sooner or later.

Naw... the idea of skydiving was brought up at a party once... I said something like I've always wanted to do that... and after my friend said "You should"... I did... B|
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

When I was 6 or 7 I made a "parachute" out of a backpack and a hefty sack. Then I jumped out of a tree, I also tried jumping out of a swing on full swing. The parachute didn't work so well, but I didn't get hurt.

Hahah AggieDave, this brings back a really funny memory that I completely forgot about. I remember my mom yelling at me for taking a sheet off the clothesline and getting it all grass stained from jumping off of a tree stump in our yard. It didn't work too well, but I guess that was my first "jumping" experience. I was very young then, maybe 8 or 9. Thanks s much for reminding me!

This is great, I never expected this much activity for a random post, but it's neat to see that everyone had a reason to do it.

Thanks again everyone!
"When once you have tasted flight..."

I am a third generation Army Paratrooper and LOVED making military jumps. When I was close to getting out of the Army (had about 6 months left to go) I realized the only way to keep jumping was to learn to skydive. I took a course at the Green Beret Sprot Parachute Club at Ft Bragg. When I found out how much FUN skydiving was I was kicking myself in the ass for not learning to skydive seven years sooner.:S I would still love to military jump again (but highly unlikely) but they are a different kind of fun and a LOT more work.
Kevin

Muff Brother #4041
Team Dirty Sanchez #467

I'm an adrenaline junkie and up until 2 years ago, knew it was something I wanted to do, but never the ways or resources to go about doing it.

When I did my first internship out here in Colorado in 2004, a guy i worked with was going through AFF and he took a group of us. I decided to go and make a tandem. Little did I know that I was hooked from that point. I was raving about it and my parents (more my mom than dad) was shocked that I did it.

The next summer when I came back again to do a second internship here, I couldn't stop thinking about it. I enrolled in the AFF course and it took me all summer until the day before I had to drive back to michigan for school to pass AFF and then made my first solo the morning I left.

Now its the third summer out here (hopefully the last before I move out here permanently) and I have my A license....my dad has no problem and my step mom kind of worries about me. My mom tries to deny that i do it and my sister doesn't understand....oh well

I'm putting my dad and step mom in the tunnel here when they come out for my birthday in 28 days...:P
Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----

when I was two I jumped my first object

years later after some hefty life issues I got dragged up to the ranch and found my new home

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

A friend and I were sitting around getting high one night (December 1977), I can't remember which of us came up with the brilliant idea to go skydiving. The next day we went out to the Fort Hood Parachute Club and signed up for our FJC. Back then it was 2 hours/night for 5 days followed by a jump on Saturday.
Saturday morning rolled around and we show up at the dropzone. We get geared up while looking at the overcast sky figuring we wouldn't get to jump when our ride (UH-1H) flies in. We loaded up and took off... cloud cover was down to 3200' so that's where we jumped from (static line). That jump scared the shit out of me and I swore I'd never do it again.....
Fast forward to last summer, I was visiting my brother and the conversation turned to skydiving. My sister-in-law wanted to try it as did my nephew and his friend so we checked it out and I decided to join them. Due to work and other circumstances we didn't get to do a tandem jump until mid-November. Two weeks later I was back going thru my FJC and I'm glad I did......
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...

It was summer of 1972. Since I had broken my left leg a few years earlier, I just thought it would only be right to break my other leg. (see attached)

The REAL reason I started skydiving is that I was taking flying lessons at the time, and my flight instructor was drilling me about all the things that could go wrong with an airplane. Since then, I have experienced most of those bad things while flying, but none of them has ever caused me to really want to leave the aircraft just because of the emergency.

Several years later while getting my instrument rating after having becoming an experienced skydiver and DZO, it was the FAA Flight Examiner's "duty" to create a distraction for while on short final doing an instrument approach on the IFR checkride. (I was flying "under the hood") What he did to distract me was to reach behind me and pop open the window. When I heard that rush of air, I instinctively wanted to exit the aircraft, but alas, were were on short final, IFR, and only 200 feet AGL!

When I was a kid the Army would come into my towns annual celebration and do a demo. They would jump out of Hewie and all hit the same targer in the same spot one right after the other. They would also do some other cool shit like rapelling. It was awesome.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Its the only activity that gets !00% of my attention, and fully clears my mind. Its like hitting CONTROL ALT DELETE on your PC....a total reset. :)

Oh my god...someone who says it the same goofy way I do.
CTL+ALT+DELETE=restart.
Blue skies to forget the BSOD