sangiro

WFFC - What's going on?

What a long ass post

My opinion which counts for absolutely nothing.....

A long ass post it was! It was long on rhetoric and short on originality. All the arguments nomar (whomever that might be) made have all been made before (some are factually incorrect). Just a lot of whining.

You're wrong about your opinion counting for nothing ... it counts orders of magnitude more than some anonymous whiner with one post rant who hasn't filled out his (her?) profile.;)

[:/]

So to all that are worried or just like to whine....get over it and come jump your ass off.

Beautiful Landings!

Streaker

Hey Streaker! Don't invite the whiners!!:S:P I think we'll all have a much better time in Rantoul if the whiners don't show up.

Edited to add: Well, on second thought, if they get over it then by all means, they should come on over! :D:D

The last time I jumped there, I didn't have a problem with getting on freeflying loads, and I don't even fly headdown.

You know i luv ya val, but i gotta say something about the FF organizing. I couldn't get on any loads any of the years i tried. When i went to the tent i was told "well we're kinda busy for a while, can you come back in about 3-4 hours?" Another year, i could never find the FF organizers. In my opinion that is unacceptable. I shouldn't have to wait 3-4 hours for organizing. I got frustrated and just continued jumping with my friends (and had fun anyway). But i would've really liked to get some organzing.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Maybe if they didn't give away their products to every tom, dick and harry that promises to promote their products, blah, blah, blah, they would have more money to spend to get to events such as this.

Or, stop giving it away to all the boogie bag crap that cost thousands of dollars to every, tom, dick,and harry that ask for it for their "great" boogie.:S:S

Things are a changing, the question is can the boogies keep up???? I bet there is a way for the events to give back to help the manafacturers and make their trip worth while.:)
Time will tell, dont ya think?

Boogie on!

I have read all 5 pages of this thread. The whining, complaining and bitching from one side and the lame ass excuses from the other side.

Some of the complaints appear to be the actions of day care center kids not getting their own way and the responses from those running WFFC, or complete lack of, are a joke.
Saying we are just volunteers and we are doing the best we can does not get the job done.
This guy Don must live under a rock if he is not aware of the problems.

I have only found one post, and it was from a different thread, where someone is taking action to improve the situation. And this post was from someone who does not work for the convention.

Kudos to the author of this post.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2306774#2306774
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Or, stop giving it away to all the boogie bag crap that cost thousands of dollars to every, tom, dick,and harry that ask for it for their "great" boogie.

or both.;) I would suggest giving away a couple raffle prizes for people who demo the rig and fill out a form. Send paying customers the patches and a little goodie bag stuff (pull up cords, etc.) AFTER they order the rig.

Just think of the money that could be saved and those savings could be passed along to ALL the customers or used for R&D.

Back in the good ole days when skydiving was thriving, the manufactures spoiled the skydivers with all the freebie stuff (pullup cords, closing loops, key chains, etc). Well times have changed and some skydivers are going to just have to quite whinning and loose this whole entitlement attitude. It may take another year or 2 for everyone to get it.

Just my thoughts on it.

j
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

"Back in the good ole days when skydiving was thriving, the manufactures spoiled the skydivers with all the freebie stuff (pullup cords, closing loops, key chains, etc)"

:oahem Skydiving is thriving more than ever, just ask the tandems, DZO's and their worker bee's.

The cost of jump gear has continued to increase over the years and the cost of the goodie bag stuff in comparision is chump change compared to one demo canopy not being returned to the manufacture>:(

If the "Business" of skydiving wasn't thriving every DZ would still be useing a cessna. Fun Jumpers have turned into the farm team for the DZO worker bee's.

After reaping the cost of AFF, gear, etc some DZO's & staff are to busy to mess with new fun jumpers.:o

Not wineing just the way it is, IMO.:)

R.I.P.

Thank you again sparky.

I was replying to a pm a minute ago and in it I said

" It would be shame on all of us for losing the biggest boogie in the world"

After thinking about that a bit more, I wonder how much truth is in that statement. I bet more than we think.

There is a saying that is something to the effect of, "If you continue to do what you do, you will always have what you have." Excuse me if I butchered that, but you get my point. I like this saying because you can apply it to anything. Business, health, relationships etc..

Maybe we all need to take a different approach so we can see different results.

Anyways, just some random thoughts.

Have a great 4th!

Everyone's going to have criticisms about an event the magnitude of the WFFC. I have a few, but I'd rather offer a post that highlights the positives, which are many.

For me, the WFFC (I've been to the last 4) is my favorite 10 days of the year. If there are folks who've never been and are considering whether to go this year, here's my take on the best things about the convention (in no particular order)

1) The people -- I can't stress this part enough. Over the last four years, I've gotten to know a great bunch of folks just by jumping on organized loads. I only usually see them once a year, but when we arrive in Rantoul it's like time was suspended those other 355 days of the year. We pick right up where we left off and welcome newcomers into the fold.
2) The RW organizers - Super nice folks with tons of skydiving knowledge. I can't recommend the RW tents enough for everything from low pressure 4-ways to the bigger, more complex stuff.
3) The facilities - The place is huge. There's plenty of outs and the volunteers are the friendliest folks around. It's pretty well maintained for an event of its size.
4) Lots of Jumps -- I live within 2 hours of 6 turbine dzs, but there's no where that I can make more jumps in 10 days than the WFFC - hands down. Calls are almost always under 20 mins. Last year I did 82 jumps and we had a few weather days.
5) Socializing -- Finish jumping at sunset, grab a shower and bite to eat and head to the entertainment tent for a bit. The music isn't always my style, but what could be more fun than hanging out with a few hundred like-minded folks who love skydiving.
6) Aircraft -- Specialty aircraft provide a fun diversion and something to talk about. I know people want more of this, but a few variety jumpships fill the bill for me. Everything else is a bonus.

It seems fashionable to be down on the convention this year. Some of the gripes are quite deserved. I've been to several other boogies, large and small. They all have their merits and shortcomings.

But the overarching theme I've found at the WFFC that keeps drawing me back is the overwhelming feeling of friendly camaraderie. It's nobody's home dz, and everyone's home dz at the same time because it only exists for 10 days a year.

For those who've seen past the nay-sayers, I look forward to meeting you there.

I'll be in the RW organizing tent, just before 8 a.m. on the first day, waiting for those awesome songs to play (national anthem, then "over the rainbow".) Hopefully, I'll have just landed from Mullin's dirty-bird load.

national anthem, then "over the rainbow".) Hopefully, I'll have just landed from Mullin's dirty-bird load.

No shit? Are you serious? the National anthem?

LOL

As it is the WORLD freefall convention, are any other national anthems being played?

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

national anthem, then "over the rainbow".) Hopefully, I'll have just landed from Mullin's dirty-bird load.

No shit? Are you serious? the National anthem?

LOL

As it is the WORLD freefall convention, are any other national anthems being played?

Bring yours on CD, it will get air time. There will be a sign telling you the frequency of our radio station, so turn on your car radio when you arrive and listen to the official WFFC radio broadcasts, with manifest announcements (available anywhere in Rantoul).
Btw for those of you who don't know, the first thing you see when you enter the WFFC grounds is Avenue of the Flags. These 36 flags have been brought to us by returning skydivers from around the world. If you would like us to fly yours, bring one, and we will!
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

Btw for those of you who don't know, the first thing you see when you enter the WFFC grounds is Avenue of the Flags. These 36 flags have been brought to us by returning skydivers from around the world. If you would like us to fly yours, bring one, and we will!

Slalom racing through the flags has always been fun too, even when "someone" accidentall tried to take out Great Britain. :D

Since i live in Sunny's Little Bubble, will you fly my flag? :$

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

I can say whatever I want to, but I don't argue with anonymous posters, no matter how many "points" they may seem to score with those who have a beef with the Convention.

OK, how about if I just copy and paste his questions? I am not anonymous, I like the convention but will not be going due to those issues and think his comments are bang on.

Avoiding those kinds of questions does not help your cause. I would like to see the convention back the way it was, but why go if I can do the same things at my local DZ boogie? Or why pick the convention as the only boogie I would do?

The WFFC used to be the "Must Attend" boogie. Now it seems to be an "also ran".

What are you doing to change that?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

...These 36 flags have been brought to us by returning skydivers from around the world. If you would like us to fly yours, bring one, and we will!

Lemme know if you have a Danish one...
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

...These 36 flags have been brought to us by returning skydivers from around the world. If you would like us to fly yours, bring one, and we will!

I am back at my home for the week, so I don't have the flags here. Do you have a cut and paste so that when I get back to the WFFC office, before we put them up, I can check and see if I have one?
We actually have more flags than posts, because you guys have been so generous thru the years. We will put up the cleanest nicest flags from the lot, unless there are specific requests.

ANd yea, I'm pretty much EVERYONES friend at the WFFC, especially when I unplug toilets!!! LOL!!
Will you be my friend too, and try to not plug them up?

HEY SUNNY! Yea, your little bubble counts! I like your world!
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

The first WFFC (2003) that I attended was awesome. Lots of LO's, gear dealers/reps available, great jumps, DZ.commers, known friends and to be discovered ones, and a cool goodie bag - a truly fun time. Same 'ole planes that I had already jumped but I didn't go for the planes. I went for the jumps and seeing friends. It was expensive but I was able to be there long enough for both weekends to make it worth my while.

After 2003's WFFC, I was looking forward to another wonderful boogie when I attended the 2005 WFFC.

However, it was a different story. Attendance was down. Planes were same 'ole, same 'ole. I didn't receive a goodie bag and the ones that I saw - I'm glad I didn't as there was nothing worthwhile/useable in it. Not as many LO's as 2003 nor gear dealers/reps. Way too expensive for the little time I was able to be there. And, give me a frickin' break already...I don't drink beer and there are a lot of people that don't. For those that don't drink beer - give them an alternative beverage or discount their admission. And the food selection -although there were others available, if you wanted good food the only choice was CarboneZone. The nice thing about the 2005 WFFC was the permanent showers and restrooms.

Maybe something will be done to turn WFFC around and make it worthwhile again. But the way I see it going so far from what's been posted and is available on the website...it's not worth the drive to go there and I'd be better off going to one of the other boogies.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Check out this picture (and the next 3) to see if you see your flag. I believe I got all of the ones flying there last year.

http://www.lightdiver.com/2005/050806.htm/pages/IMG_5772.htm

Great boogie. Meeting alot of new people was much more fun than the jumping, IMHO. Guess a big-dz mentality where I come from spoils the aircraft scenario for me. :P Oh, except being in the very first group to jump the CarVair. Now -that- was worth it! Pilot's brief for us was something like this...."We have 4 engines. If one quits that's okay....this baby flys on 3 just as good as 4. If 2 quit, that's still okay. We have 2 remaining ones and this bird can fly just as safely on 2 as it can on 4. If 3 go out....GET THE HELL OUT OF MY AIRPLANE! I will land this one on my own." :o:D

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Check out this picture (and the next 3) to see if you see your flag. I believe I got all of the ones flying there last year.

http://www.lightdiver.com/2005/050806.htm/pages/IMG_5772.htm

Hmm... Don't see it. Oh well, I'll se what one costs.

Trivia: The Danish flag is the oldest national flag in use.
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

I couldn't get on any loads any of the years i tried. When i went to the tent i was told "well we're kinda busy for a while, can you come back in about 3-4 hours?" Another year, i could never find the FF organizers.

That's odd because I have been to the WFFC ever since it moved to Rantoul and spend a lot of time in the organizer tents including FF since Anomaly was one of the organizers for 3 years.

The complaints I heard from the organizers mirror yours. One year there was no one wanting organizing; we would sit in the tent and bullshit all day long. When Dave Brown was busy, at least one of the 3 Anomaly guys was sitting around. Guano seemed to keep busy, but they were not the only organizers.

As this went on during the convention, some of the organizers would start showing up later and leaving earlier, or taking longer lunches because they were doing nothing but standing around.

One year they spent a lot of time jumping with the Golden Knights becuase the Knights weren't getting many people to jump with them either.

Granted they were not as organized as the formation guys, who had someone a jumper could go to to find an organizer. Maybe that is one of the things that needs to be changed.

But you had the best of the best FF people there Max Cohn, Dave Brown, Anomaly, Guano. You could even jump with Amy C if you asked her really nicely! Alchemy wasn't there because they have the Perris and Summerfest gigs.

Blue skies,

Jim