matt1215

Closing loop life span, fuzzy = frayed?

I like to change mine just before it breaks:P

Ok seriously I change it when it looks pretty worn and it makes me nervous. I don't really have anything specific that shouts out change me. After having done around 800 pack jobs for myself I kinda just know when it just doesn't look right. If you aren't sure just get the most experienced packer you know to take a look at it.

I was told if it looks more than 10% damaged, Which is kindof a grey explanation. I think if you are even asking yourself if it should be changed then change it. they are very very inexpensive.
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, th

Seriously? I change mine when it looks nearly ready to break. I have never had one break in freefall; only while closing the rig. I have gotten over 500 jumps out of a closing loop before. If you are not ripping out your pull-up cord or packing tool you will generally not do any noticable damage to your loop.

I change my closing loop if it is not in perfect condition.

Often times, I will change my closing loop and the guy packing next to me will put it on their rig!

Better safe than sorry.

-
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Seriously? I change mine when it looks nearly ready to break. I have never had one break in freefall; only while closing the rig. I have gotten over 500 jumps out of a closing loop before. If you are not ripping out your pull-up cord or packing tool you will generally not do any noticable damage to your loop.

I know I dont know anything but this sounds a bit reckless to me. I mean just because it hasent ever broke dosent mean it wont.

I would much rather just change it than get wrapped around the tail of a plane or ripped threw the side of the plane or any of the many other bad things that can happen.
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, th

It takes about 30 cents and 30 seconds to make a closing loop. It's so easy that there's no reason not to.

I have my rigger change it out every reserve repack.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

It takes about 30 cents and 30 seconds to make a closing loop. It's so easy that there's no reason not to.

I have my rigger change it out every reserve repack.

This is what I do. I change mine at every repack if it needs it or not, and I take a good look at it every time I pack. I only get about 50 jumps per year so I'm changing it about every 20-30 jumps. It might be overkill, but for an extra buck it seems like cheap insurance.
------------------------------------------------
I've done so much, with so little, for so long
I'm now expected to do everything with nothing forever

ive changed several on rental gear just to make sure it was good. never cost me a dime theirs a big spool of line all got to do is ask for a little piece and they give it to me along with the tool to make it
light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

Unless you jump a pull out the risk of a closing loop failure is not worth it. As others have said its cheap to do. Change it whenever you think it needs it, whether it truely does or not.

PM me and I can tell you as a first hand witness what can happen if the closing loop breaks :(

Nobody wants to deal with a horeshoe malfunction.
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

I have gotten over 500 jumps out of a closing loop before.

Not smart.

I change my closing loop if it is not in perfect condition.

This is smart.

I know I dont know anything but this sounds a bit reckless to me. I mean just because it hasent ever broke dosent mean it wont.

You know enough to use good sense.

It takes about 30 cents and 30 seconds to make a closing loop.

When to change it? Any time that you think it might need it. It's so easy that there's no reason not to.

Best post in thread.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Dunno. When it looks like I need to. I have a finger-trap needle and some appropriate line in my gear bag for those eventualities, and I try to remember to always have a ready-made loop there too.
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

As others have said, when I think they start to look worn at all. I try to always have several in my gear bag so that I am never stuck without one (learned that one the hard way at one of my first boogies when the DZs rigger was up on a load and I was scrambling to find someone to make me one), and I can always have one available to share with someone else if they're in a pinch.

Recent story: I had changed my closing loop and put maybe five or six jumps on it. I had a packer packing for me, and I was standing near him talking to someone else while he was closing my rig. All of a sudden I hear a loud SNAP. I think "WTF? I just changed that closing loop" but I looked over to see that the closing loop was just fine ... he'd finally killed a very worn out pull-up cord. :D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke