Skylark

How many jumps before you purchased your own rig?

Bought used (125 jumps on the main and 50 on the container) the day I did my A check dive. Didn't get to jump it until 30 though, because I used student gear for a 4-way scramble for 26-29.

Why? Because those big student canopies are slow and boring. More importantly, renting isn't cheap. I'll use this gear for 200 jumps, which will pay off the rig, and then sell it to "down"-grade.

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

I actually bought a Reaktor 4 and Fox 245 before I bought a skydiving rig, at about 70 skydives. In terms of skydiving, I was dirt poor and sick of borrowing. My grandfather sympathized and gave me $1,000 to put something together. So I had grabbed me a Racer, Sabre 120 and MicroRaven 135. Yeah, loaded up at 1.5 at a little over 100 skydives. Thank God I survived.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

On jump #44 I put on my brand new Javelin with custom colors, containing my brand new custom colored Spectre, brand new Raven, and brand new Cypres. Ahhhhhhhh.........

Blue 111-
Jeff

"When I die, I want to go like my grandmother, who died peacefully in her sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in her car."

13th jump was on a used rig (150 jumps) which my husband and I bought to share . Student gear put so many bruises on me that my own mother didn't recognize me. We wanted consistency and a better fitting rig that was ready to jump when we wanted to...also cheaper than renting 2 rigs. Found a GREAT deal on another rig just for me by jump#23. :ph34r:

Old age ain't no place for sissies!

I bought my first rig at around jump 10 or so because I wanted a BOC system and a rig that fit me better. I never did jump it because around jump 18 or so(and 2 years later) I bought my customized Mirage and a newer reserve to fit that.

I kept the main from my first rig though and I still jump that.

I'm with Ivan on this one.

I bought mine early in the game, though my dz wouldnt let me jump it until I got my A and was off student status.

It laid in my room, whispering to me. I played with it, constantly, it was rather sick of me, but I so wanted to jump it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol
It's a gas, gas, gas...

Mine just got here about two weeks ago, jumping it for the first time this weekend.

Bought it as soon as I got my A, I figure there is no point in paying money to rent gear when I can just buy something that fits me properly.
:)

And you shed not a single tear for the things that you didn't need
'Cause you knew you were finally free - Death Cab For Cutie

I jumped my own rig for the first time last weekend. It's expensive to rent gear at my dz and I plan on jumping for a long time, so it seemed like the obvious choice.

See you tomorrow Lainey! You realise you owe beer as soon as you jump that rig! I owe beer still for my first jump on my rig last weekend. Lotsa cases tomorrow night at the dz!
www.TerminalSports.com.auAustralia's largest skydive gear store

I bought mine around jump number 100.
Reasons:
1. Rental fees in Germany are way lower (at least at my DZ) than in the US. Actually, if you join the skydiving club at my DZ over there, it´s for free.
2. I first wanted to try several rigs/canopies under several conditions. Strong wind/no wind, ...
3. I wanted to "downsize" from the huge student canopies to something I felt comfortable with for the next hundred(s) of jumps.
4. The (used) one I actually bought was a good offer at that time and it fitted nearly perfect. I'm still jumping it.
vSCR No.94
Don't dream your life - live your dream!

For got to say why.
I got mine used so I jumped it on 17. The reason: I did not feel like spending 25 bucks a jump for gear rental and I knew I would be jumping every weekend that it was possible. It was a no Brainier
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Jump 22 was the first on my own gear. Use of student gear was paid for in my jump package.

for some reason there are quite a few people @ my dz that believe a you can not jump your own gear till after AFF graduation. i don't know if that's true or not, just putting the thought out there.

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)