katiebear21

Have You Ever Fudged YOUR Jump Numbers?

Nope, I keep my logbook exact and my DZ.com profile serves the same purpose.

I see no purpose in inflating my numbers. I could lie and say I have 1200 jumps, but I'd rather people judge me based on what I'm actually doing in the sport. And to me, I feel more proud of my accomplishments knowing they come from a 677-jump wonder. :):$
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

In the spirit of "one eleven experiences"...

At the Keys Boogie I knew I had just finished jump 666 so I pulled out my Neptune to show a friend my mark of the beast jump. It showed that jump 666 was done at 11:11 on 11/10! :o
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Yes,... at boogies and when visiting other DZs. So I could get on the hot skydives with all the really good jumpers. This was many many years ago. Obviously, I don't need to do that anymore. When I only had 100 jumps, I would say 500 or more. It worked for me to lie. I never F-ed up thank god. I always had the skills to pay the bills. That was the problem, I had the skills but unless I said I had more jumps people wouldn't give me a chance to show it. I never failed to show them I could do it,. Most of the time I was faster and better then most. So I used the lie to get what I wanted. I never failed to tell them eventually, It was fun to hang with the hot hot skydivers, be included in the super cool group. Then at the end of the day say"oh I only have 82 jumps, I lied sorry.

As a organizer, I get people who lie all the time. They want just what I wanted, to be on the experienced load and do hot skydives. Thats OK with me as long as they can do what they say. Jump numbers are nothing, it's all about your ability. If you are a natural, do what you have to.

I find it hard to believe that more people weren't honest on this thread. Skydivers are generally very driven ambitious people. If they have it they do it. They do what they need to to get ahead.

Maybe I shouldn't have done what I did but it got me to the places I wanted to be. I never blew it, so it was all golden.

I don't have 4600 jumps either:o..., I have 4684B|. Sorry I lied.
HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.

Shit.. I was probally one of the few that actually qualified under the new jump numbers even before they took effect! :D My lazy ass got a C and then ever applied for the D until I wanted to get a tandem rating then sent it in with over 500 jumps even though I only needed 200.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

No. It is a bit hard when all your jumps are on a tracking board for the MAJ and all the staff to see each day.

I did think about it, but soon realized I would meet the deadline with out having too (this was many years ago, and besides it was your Father in law checking me and I wasn't getting my neck pinched for nothing![:o).

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Don't forget to do something devilish for your 666th Katie. I took a wingsuit out of a hot air balloon over an urban environment. But you don't need to be that devilish. Just make sure you mark the occasion in your own way. ;)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I don't really see how inflaiting my numbers will help me out. considering I only have 32 jumps I have a very minimal skill set, so if I said I had 132 jumps people would think I was a shitty skydiver.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Nope. Never. No how.
My numbers only help ME know how Im doing in my progresssion. I know jumpers with many more jumps than me, who arent to my skill level, but on the other hand, I know some that have less jumps than me and are of equal or better skill.
Yet, if my protrack ever died, id be lost, b/c I go weeks or sometimes months without updating my log book.

I'll finish this year out with over 200, my best year yet. B| I had a great year. :)
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Nope, never lied about my jump numbers and I have no desire to. This proved interesting when I was approaching 3 years in the sport and I wanted my TI rating. I was doing a shit-ton of hop-n-pops with every rig on the DZ that I could jump (back-to-back-to-back, etc) to get the last 30 jumps I needed the two weeks before the course.

I *could* have just "ghost logged" the jumps and made them up later, but I considered that to be bullshit as well.

I don't keep my paper logs current, but my electronic logs are kept current. My DZ.com profile is updated every 100-200 jumps instead of updating it all the time.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Before I answer...what if you fudge down so people won't think you really, really suck for the number of jumps you have?

...and what if a number of them were a while back and you don't count them since you came back into the sport?

...and what if you just plain suck and it doen't matter HOW many jumps you have anyway so what's the purpose of logging?

just asking.
:D:D

and yes, I log every jump and I know exactly how many I have including those in years past and no I've never "upgraded" my jump numbers.
:S
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

What has me positively dumbfounded is that some people will do it when most of their contemporaries know their actual experience and jump numbers. I have been very, very good friends with several people over the years who have bumped their numbers up thousands of jumps per year when me and everyone else of consequence knew for sure that they were positively full of shit. I could name at least four people right now, but I will refrain.

Here is one example of such a thing and how their amazingly-stupid embellishment put an end to their positive experiences in the sport. An old four-way teammate of mine and a then-regular at the Green Beret Parachute Club on Fort Bragg, Sherri Giarrusso (Dick Giarruso's daughter). Sherri was a fantastic skydiver and she had around 500 jumps when I had around 200. She jumped alot when the jumping was free at the club. She also jumped alot at Raeford. She had all her ratings and was very current. She changed jobs in the Army and became a CID warrant officer. She basically quit the sport due to her job requirements. That did not, unfortunately, keep her from logging 1000 jumps per year (minimum) even though every one of us knew that she was deployed overseas to Bosnia and other locations where we knew she was positively not skydiving. She would return home once a year, maybe twice, and put in for another diamond on her gold wings. After a couple of years, the S&TA's at the DZ had had enough. They told her that there was no way in the world that they would sign off on her awards if she could not prove that she had been jumping. As predicted by the same people (who owned the gear shop), the next day Sherri came in to buy some new logbooks. Pathetic, even back then. I really like the girl, but we all knew that she was SUPER-inflating her jump numbers. You WILL NOT make 1000 jumps a year in the US military when you are deployed nine months out of the year.

I did VERY good to make 300 jumps a year on active duty. My wife is a perfect example of such "regular" progression. She makes several boogies a year and LIVES on the DZ. There are very, very few exceptions to active duty personnel making more: Alex McCalman and Trevor Hill among them. Those fools, since they have been skydiving, show up at boogies when they are not deployed, make every single load with their two matching rigs apiece, and spend a ton of money doing it. They still don't make over 500 in a year. The difference between those two guys and any other number of logbook padders is that I don't have any problem verifying their jumps by simply calling manifest at whatever dropzone they have been locals at, or asking manifest at DZ's hosting boogies, or just asking my buddies that are fellow-organizers how many jumps THEY made at boogies. I know for a fact that I can't maintain that pace and I DO notice the few people that actually do.

Ultimately, if you are padding you logbook and your contemporaries know it these days, then you are in grave danger of being outed. If you are sponsored and outed, then I would hate to fathom the consequenses of such brazen perpetration. To those fools: I hope your logbooks and Neptune match up when you get called out. To the gear vendors out there: laugh like hell when some of these people come running to you for new logbooks after reading this thread.

I have had about enough of it, personally. I know how many jumps people make at boogies. I also know how many jumps a week I make as an organizer and instructor living on a dropzone.

Chuck Blue
D-12501
AFF/SL/TM-I, PRO, BMCI-4

-still not quite 5000 jumps since 1981. Never more than 488 jumps in a year since I retired from the army in 2003.

Kinda silly to do it. If you claim to have a certian number and then jump poorly, yu might be able to get away with it for a few days as saying yor having a bad day but after some time the lack of skills will just show up...

Scott C.

What about if you do have the jumps you say and you still fly like crap[:/][:/]
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?