katiebear21

Have You Ever Fudged YOUR Jump Numbers?

Most weekend jumpers are in the 150-200 a year range.
People who work at the dz do 900-1000.

I tend to log my jumps about once a month, so I know that I have missed a few.

Ack!......Remember International Forum....not every DZ has a turbine...

And to stay with the thread.....my jump numbers are arcurate.....I do however fib about my years in sport....that should say 6...but...:$

If someone feels the need to do that then maybe they feel insecure in some way. I had a friend go to Iraq for a whole year yet had 150 extra jumps when he got back:S i asked him about it and he was like yeah special jumps blah blah blah He was an engineer fucking idiot.
Oh well, whatever makes them feel good i guess
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

Most weekend jumpers are in the 150-200 a year range.
People who work at the dz do 900-1000.

I tend to log my jumps about once a month, so I know that I have missed a few.

Ack!......Remember International Forum....not every DZ has a turbine...

:D:D A lot of people from The Great White North are arriving as I type.

The turbine is one side of it. Jumping all year is the other part. Last weekend, I did 14 jumps as a fun-jumper. (That's rare. Normally it is 3 to 4)

People working at the dz can do 5 a day, no problem. Average 20 a week and there is a 1000 for the year.

It was a bit too warm on Sunday though. Had to keep the door open on the way up. :ph34r:

I'd wager a lot of people now sporting D licences fudged a few jumps to clear 200 to get their D before they bumped it to 500. They should have just created an "E."

wasn't it 300 jumps?
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Some people just stop logging them on here. I know I haven't updated mine for a couple of years and I suppose this holds true for others.
Although jump numbers can show "an" experience level what matters is ability in the sky. If someone has padded the numbers its gonna show.
I recall when an indiviual had about the same number as I have posted now and the next thing ya know there were 1,000+ more.... but in the end it makes zero difference to me.
No one is the complete authority in every discipline.
I am not a skilled FS flier and I admit it, I am not a skilled swooper and I admit that too, but there are few that are out doing the kind of flying that I do.

All in all with the greater issues in the world we live in, jump numbers are the least of my concerns.

I must be nuts--my thinking about the whole #s thing would be the opposite:

I.e. I'd think it cooler to have 1,000 jumps and doing all sorts of mad tricks in the air and under canopy and then say, "Eh, I only have 200 jumps. I'm just a natural.":D

Seriously, though. I would think if I told someone (or fudged my log book to show such) I had 3,000 jumps, and then they jumped with me, when I actually only have 1,500 it would show and I'd look pretty silly.:S Is it just me?

I don't get the whole fudging thing just for #s sake. It makes sense if one fudged to meet a rating or something (and not that I agree with doing that), but just for the sake of saying you have more jumps than you do??? That's just silly, imo.

If one really wants #s for #s sake, then just go do a bunch of hop-n-pops. They're less expensive, you can do more in a day, and you get great canopy practice. And if you care about the grand #--you get that, too.B|
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

Although jump numbers can show "an" experience level what matters is ability in the sky. If someone has padded the numbers its gonna show.

Is it? Is it going to "show" to the event organizer wondering which "name" to invite? Is it going to "show" to the person coming from overseas looking for the "most qualified" coach? Is it going to "show" to manufacturers who are looking to sponsor the "most qualified" applicants? It's very likely that none of the people I mentioned have ever, or maybe even will ever jump with these people. In that regard, it really hurts the people who actually deserve such recognition when others blatantly pad their logs. I can name very-big names in every discipline (except maybe some of the artistic disciplines) who do it right now.

I recall when an indiviual had about the same number as I have posted now and the next thing ya know there were 1,000+ more.... but in the end it makes zero difference to me.

It does, however, make a difference to a lot of people. It matters to each of the individuals I just mentioned above, particularly in a fiscal sense. Many of those organizers, sponsors, potential customers become enamored with these "masters of self promotion" and will bybass a better qualified candidate just because someone else has ramped themself up and tooted their horn louder.

No one is the complete authority in every discipline.

You are absolutely correct, Bets. Some come close though (Rook Nelson is a great example). That's not really relevant to what we are talking about though. What we are talking about is the reason why people feel it neccessary to blatantly pad their logbooks. My answer is that it's always ego driven and it's generally to bolster their reputation and standing in the competition, coaching, sponsorship, organizing, and business sides of the sport. I see those things as a personal affront to other organizers/instructors/coaches/competitors/businessmen who would rather take the high road and get jobs based on their actual personal merit as it relates to jump experiences. Once again, I know people, right now, in almost every single category who blatantly pad their numbers in the thousands. It's sad.

Chuck

I'm a weekend jumper and have a full time job so I only crank out about 200 jumps a year. Now that I'm living at a DZ, I'm hoping to double that amount.B|

I'm a weekend jumper too w/ a real, full-time, work job during the week. Now-a-day's, I'm more in the 200 jumps a year range... :(... but once upon a time when work was less involved for me... I was doing between 375 & 425 jumps a year just jumping on the weekends & holidays. I had a run where I jumped every weekend for a little over 3 years... and I do mean every weekend... so it can be done... ;)... but you do have to abandon all activities whuffos normally do on the weekends.

I haven't, though I think it would be fun to show up at a dz and say I have like 300 jumps. My current rig wouldn't really give it away but my next one will :)

For what it's worth, I want to make the comment that for the most part I am a weekend jumper, the bulk of my jumps are made on saturday and sunday. I also live in wisconsin, which means for 5-6 months out of the year its cold and I won't make more than 1-2 a weekend, on the average, if that. So far this year I have over 500 jumps and another guy at my dz has over 800. He jumps more tue-friday than I do. I am on staff and that helps but if I had unlimited funds I think I would make just as many even if I wasn't staff.

It does get a little boring though. I am glad for winter cause I need a break from 10-20 altitude jumps and 4-8 hop and pops a week. I guess I don't do much other than work and jump so that is how I can make so many.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Well Chuck according to your profile you "train students in every discipline with hard-earned credibility and authority...so what the hell do I know?

Sometimes people just need to look at themselves in the mirror as they are casting stones...don't ya think?;)

If people think others are padding their jump numbers ..hell take it up with them personally. I would think that some people have enough drama in their lives without adding to it.

I know people, right now, in almost every single category who blatantly pad their numbers in the thousands. It's sad.

Yes as do I and yes it IS sad. Maybe we should call all these people out...where shall I start? Bwahhhhh

My lazy ass got a C and then ever applied for the D until I wanted to get a tandem rating then sent it in with over 500 jumps even though I only needed

I got you there, Eric, I'd been jumping for about 25 years before I broke down and got a D license; I was forced to because of some FAI requirement thing for some event. Back in the day, there wasn't anything you needed a D for that you couldn't do with a C, so I never bothered.

A 3393
C 8694
D 18327 (not much bragging rights with a number like that, huh? :D )

I have never even considered it. In my years of jumping I have never seen a case where I thought someone fudged their logbook. I have seen many cases where they logged too few jumps though.

Only one more month to go for me in China, then back to the USA!!

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

I have never even considered it. In my years of jumping I have never seen a case where I thought someone fudged their logbook. I have seen many cases where they logged too few jumps though.

Only one more month to go for me in China, then back to the USA!![/reply

That's me, I have quite a bunch that I didn't log. Wish I would have now, but number of jumps had become about as important to me as how far I drove to the dropzone; zilch...

Betsy, I am not sure, but it sounds like you were calling me out. Is that correct? If so, I don't have any idea why you would do so. Feel free to call Skydive Opelika, the Fort Bragg Parachute Club (formerly the Green Beret Parachute Club), Raeford Parachute Center, Skydive City Z-hills, USPA headquarters and former president Glenn Bangs (who personally checked proof-of-experience for my 4000 jump diamonds when he was visiting Raeford on the way to a BOD meeting), or even my own waiver at your dropzone from 2003 if you are questioning my numbers or qualifications. I made my 1000th jump in 1990 (after nine years of jumping). My 2000th in 1997, My 3000th three years later, and my 4000th three years after that. Feel free to check USPA records or just take a look at my old logbooks or my Neptune (which I have worn on every single jumps since before my 3000th jump. I am puzzled as to why you in particular would choose to respond like that to me. It's not like we aren't friends. You have my number. Did I attack you in some manner? I don't think so. Where, in anything I wrote, did you get the idea that I was talking about you? I was not.

What's up with the "glass houses" comment? What's up with the "drama" comment? You haven't seen me other than in passing in a very long time. What gives? You have a problem with my profile? Is that all?

At any rate, I didn't start the thread. My wife was simply laughing to me at some of the jump numbers that she saw posted for several people we know. I was a bit incredulous at some of them so I posted back with my thoughts on the subject. My house is not glass.

Chuck

Ironically the only time ive thought about fudging is when asking questions on here. I got wingsuit training for a very very experienced wingsuit instructor and then when I tried to ask questions with 160 jumps all I got was, go get more jumps first and then ask that question. Ok sorry, let me go do 40 hop n' pops and maybe youll answer my question. I think reminding someone to get proper instruction or training is great when they ask something that could be advanced for their level, but occasionally answer the question after mocking them too!!!

nope.... all of those I list are LOGGED... I do have a bunch that were never logged so I do not count them... and I have a "few" hours under paragliders that dont add in... and then there are 125 military static lines that are not in there..:D

How about having zero jumps and saying you have over 100 or even over 1000?

Apparently it is easy to fake it on dz.com. Just never go to a dz and you're golden! :D

As far as big names...well, that's pathetic too. Agreed.

(To answer the original question, no, I've never lied about my jump numbers. Seems rather pointless and stupid. If anything, I short myself by forgetting to log).

If anything, I short myself by forgetting to log.

Me too...

I went a couple years without logging and would use my pay sheets printed from the computer to track my logs and there was a mistake with that system because I had some pages printed twice and some pages not printed at all. It took quite a few hours to figgure it all out and get my log books caught up earlier this year, manifest was kind enough to print my back logged jumps from the last 4.5 years...

From now on I am gonna log each jump - and this time I mean it!;)
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

I recall when an indiviual had about the same number as I have posted now and the next thing ya know there were 1,000+ more....

In their defense, maybe as you said, they didn't update their profile for a couple of years, and then they decided to! But that would only work once every couple of years.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

My wife was simply laughing to me at some of the jump numbers that she saw posted for several people we know. I was a bit incredulous at some of them so I posted back with my thoughts on the subject.

A few months ago I was looking at my old log books, flipping through them and remembering some jumps and laughing about my student progression when I had a minor epiphany. I had re-logged (reused the same number twice for different skydives) about 15-20 jumps over the past few years. If I had paid attention to that when I was coming up on 3 years in the sport for my tandem rating, that would have been handy, but I had overlooked it. I've left those jumps as they are and didn't correct my numbers. To me, another 15-20 on my number of jumps doesn't really matter, the experience was the fun.

Eitherway, I'm sure there's an Aggie joke in there somewhere.:D
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."