chutem

Are you "This Guy" at the DZ?

Are you this guy? You know the one, the guy who jumps with low timers to see the joy on their face and their skills improve. The one who see's me having trouble with my sit exit and gives me some pointers. You know the one, the guy who could deservingly be called a skygod but never acts that way. You've seen him/her around always ready to set you straight if you deserve it, but doing it in a nice way that doesn't embarrass you in front of everyone.

If you are this guy THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!
James

Yea, I usually drop the op to go on a fun jump with all my friends to go jump with a newbie.

The best thing I can do is help, but I jump video and THAT is a priceless tool.

Normally, I am filming tandems but when the time comes I organize skills camps and tunnel camps to get us all togehter and used to being in the sky with each other.

Of course, I don't do a whole lot of LO'ing but My DZO helps with that and I get to learn from him while helping teach others. I like the situation I'm in;)
My photos

My Videos

Are you this guy? You know the one, the guy who jumps with low timers to see the joy on their face and their skills improve. The one who see's me having trouble with my sit exit and gives me some pointers. You know the one, the guy who could deservingly be called a skygod but never acts that way. You've seen him/her around always ready to set you straight if you deserve it, but doing it in a nice way that doesn't embarrass you in front of everyone.

If you are this guy THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!
James

n o, i'm female
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

I certainly try to be that guy...and for the ones who listen they sometimes gain a lot but all I pass on is what people have passed on to me...

those who were guys/gals for me: thanks again you totally know who your are...I wouldnt be half the skydiver I am if it wasnt for great coaches, mentors and people telling me what I did wrong

and of course I cant forget my surgeons who i cursed out profusely when I came out of anesthesia

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

To be 'that guy' takes the patience of an angel.

I mean, setting aside personal improvement to help out others is one thing. Paying his own slot to sort some n00bs troubles out. Pretty decent.

Then the n00b gets a few hundred jumps. Knows it all. Lectures that guy, ignores his advice. Sometimes, the n00b gets way better than that guy, since the n00b may focus exclusively on himself, reaping the benefits of having that guy to coach him. Thay guy just ain't cool anymore coz he ain't got mad skillzzz.

Other times, the n00b does it all too fast. Ignores the advice and end up hurting himself.

That's when another n00b enters the picture. Still, having experienced many n00bs, some good, some bad, that guy still takes the n00b under his wings and does it all again and again.

Pretty amazing patience. I try to help out by my patience is nowhere near the true "that guys" in the world.

Your post was a very pleasant surprise when I clicked it.

Everyone who has a few hundred jumps and a few years in the sport should make a point of being this guy, “You know the one, the guy who jumps with low timers to see the joy on their face and their skills improve.” If the jumpers that have a few and have been around a few think back someone once did it for you. Try to count up all the times someone you looked up to said “yea you can go on this jump”. He knew you would fuck it up but he was giving you the same opportunity someone once gave him.

For a number of years I made a point of making a few jumps every month with someone under 100 jumps. They would try to pay for my slot and I would just brush it off knowing that I got far more out of it then they did. You see the look on their face in freefall and listen to them re-tell the jump at freefall speed once on the ground. At the end of the day it just makes your world a little nicer place to be.

Give it a try you will like it.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I had inspiring coaches that were so much fun to jump with on the way to getting my "A". I can still remember how K-Bob's face lit up when we nailed a jump, because I had a grin on my face and was hopping up and down like a school kid. I got my coach rating so I could enjoy/relive through my "students" the feeling I felt after having that type of successful dive. Heck, I learn something new every time I jump with a "student".

Thanks for a wonderful post.

I need to buy K-Bob a beer when I see him this weekend.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

And yet more wisdom from Sparky.

I, Mooch, do solemnly swear and attest that I will crank out a few hundred more jumps, partly just so I can be That Guy. Sounds like he has a pretty sweet deal.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Nice post..

I am extremely in debt to this sport due to the many awesome people that have helped me progress to the point I am at now. They all did it for free and eventually I want to continue to do the same. I will repay my debt..eventually B|
http://planetskydive.net/ - An online aggregation of skydiver's blogs.

I knew that guy...his name...(in MY case) was Roger Nelson!

WAY back when, he and his brother Carl were doing something new and cool called 'Freak Flying'

I'm talking late 70's - early 80's...

After about 4 tries at no contact sit fly 8 way RW...

In which I was all over the sky, feeling lucky if I could even SEE the other 7 guys, much less get close to them...I was ready to give up.

I was D qualified and a S-L Instructor, but couldn't seem to grasp how to fly 'upside-down'.

I told Roger I was gonna back off for a while because it seemed as though I'd 'forgotten' how to learn...

Roger said, you're not a bad learner...I'm a bad teacher, let's you and me go do some two ways and you'll get the hang of it!

We did, and he 'opened' my eyes on the whole instructor / mentoring thing.

The last time I saw him a few years ago, we barely got to talk...
he was really busy jumping 4 ways with 3 'hundred jump wonders' B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Everyone who has a few hundred jumps and a few years in the sport should make a point of being this guy, “You know the one, the guy who jumps with low timers to see the joy on their face and their skills improve.” If the jumpers that have a few and have been around a few think back someone once did it for you. Try to count up all the times someone you looked up to said “yea you can go on this jump”. He knew you would fuck it up but he was giving you the same opportunity someone once gave him.

For a number of years I made a point of making a few jumps every month with someone under 100 jumps. They would try to pay for my slot and I would just brush it off knowing that I got far more out of it then they did. You see the look on their face in freefall and listen to them re-tell the jump at freefall speed once on the ground. At the end of the day it just makes your world a little nicer place to be.

Quoting this because it's worth repeating.:)
Plus, this thread reminded me of a jump I did a few weeks ago- sunset load, been manifesting the whole day so it would be my only jump, and some 100-jump guy asks if I would go with him and be base while he works on 360 turns (belly). I thought I'd go and fly belly for half the jump and backfly for the rest of it and make it slightly more interesting for me as well, but then while we're boarding, a 200-jump wonder comes up to me all puppy-eyed and asks if we can do a 3-way. Now I have 2 low-timers that I haven't jumped with that often, so I try to make things simple, but fun.
That, for me, is the other part of jumping with less experienced people- sometimes, you allow them on a jump same as the more experienced guys allow you on a jump, knowing they (you) will be the weakest link- sometimes, when it's just people with less experience, you plan it for them and keep it simple.

We all exited unlinked and I flew base for the other two to dock on, which they managed nicely with very little help from me. Afterwards, I had them hold a star and I just swung down on their chest straps and we rode a hybrid till break-off. Most of the time I was looking up, filming their faces- and those grins on video, like Sparky said, they made my world a little nicer place to be- reminded me, after spending most of my jumps constantly trying to improve my own skills, that sometimes it's just about doing something that might not seem challenging to you at all, but will make some newer jumper smile all the way to landing and then some.

But I'm not really this guy- I put a lot of focus on my own flying- hell, I've left my jumping friends and people who taught me the first things about skydiving, so I could learn things I couldn't back home. But it feels good when you see those grins in freefall, and it feels good when someone lands and they come up to you and tell you the advice you gave them really made a difference on this jump.
So at least I'm trying...

I should say I also knew This "guy" he gave me awesome coaching for free... and is a kick ass rigger.

Which is another reason I strive to give back to young jumpers... cause I just dig the concept of paying it forward... :)
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...