HookItLow

Why is this NOOB PMing me?

To us new people, thats all you experienced jumpers sound like.

Ok, I'm in no way an experienced jumper so hopefully you'll read this post and take it for what it is. My logbook entry for jump number 265 goes something like this:

"First jump back in South Africa after US trip. Great two way freefly with Dian, foot dock, hand dock, toe touch, hand dock, break off at 4500. 90 degree front riser turn to final, double fronts to maintain speed, realised i was low too late - broken right fib and tib - ouch!"

Here is my dz.com incident report:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1280511;search_string=Repair%20Kit;#1280511

I can't tell you how much it sucks sitting on the side lines for 6 months watching your friends progress in the sport bro. Not to mention how painful it is having metal put in your bones, the time spent on crutches, the physical therapy afterward, it ain't fun.

I did all of this on a 170 Hornet loaded to about 1.2, it's a "docile" canopy similar to a Sabre and like i said i had 265 jumps. If i can do that on the hornet, imagine what you could do to yourself under your canopy at your wing loading? If you screw up, it ain't gonna be pretty. Think seriously about jumping this canopy.

And trust me, i've been there with the advice from experienced guys, i also thought "WTF?" when an experienced canopy pilot mentor/friend said to me: "Dude, trust me, go back to 90 degree turns, your 180's are getting you nowhere". Thankfully i listened and it has done my canopy pilotng the world of good - I'm now swooping the pond at our dz and that's all i've ever wanted to do.

There's plenty of time to jump a small canopy, swoop and do other badass stuff, the important thing is to stay in one piece long enough to get there.

Look after yourself out there.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

If they did everything right, a first jump AFF student could jump a Velocity 96. Its not done because they don't. People with thousands of jumps and many 10's of years in the sport, still make mistakes. Never think that you're too good to die in skydiving.

its funny but you almost completely contradicted yourself. To us new people, thats all you experienced jumpers sound like. Like only we are in danger and you are completely safe. I know my risks, and I CHOOSE to take them. Its called skydiving. I decide to exit a perfectly good aircraft for no particularily good reason. What happens between the plane and the ground is left mostly to chance. Training and skill come into play, but you just said yourself : NO ONE IS ABOVE DEATH IN THIS SPORT.

and about this Bingo..... nice way to take a responsible route to safety. A pool to decide when I'm gonna die? That sickens me. Anyone who would participate in that sickens me.

Dude, dont listen to any of these people they don't know WTF they are talking about. I think you should get yourself a velocity or katana they are a lot better. I wouldn't go aboye a 2.0 with your experience right now. They turn great and are very friendly canopies..I bet you none of these peeps have seen anyone bounce or hook it in on a canopy so don't worry about them. if yu want come to my home dz. we will be happy to throw you under maybe a velo 120. i can video your landing and help you out..Notice i didnt say landings as this may not be the canopy for you...
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

and about this Bingo..... nice way to take a responsible route to safety. A pool to decide when I'm gonna die? That sickens me. Anyone who would participate in that sickens me.

http://www.skydivetheranch.com/

If you're ever in New York, go visit The Ranch. I think you would fit right in...:|
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

>As for the rest of you, I would love to know why my thread got locked.

I locked the thread because a lot of people were attacking you. Rather than turn the thread into a flamefest I deleted the attacks, replied to you assuming you were for real, and locked the thread.

If this is a big joke for you, then good for you. Hopefully it will amuse you, and you will chuckle at how you made all those stupid DZ.commers worry.

If you are seriously asking these questions, then I hope you get the help you need to survive your mistakes. I'm sure you don't consider me a "real skydiver" so find someone reliable at your DZ and ask them the same questions. The life you save may be your own.

"Dude what is wrong with you? We all know your making this shit up so stop posting! Everyone knows that loading a canopy at 1.66 at 75 jumps is pretty much suicidal. You know this, I know this, everyone knows this so I repeat...SHUT THE FUCK UP and stop trying to stir shit up.

On the off chance that you arent some dickhead making this shit up, then you need to not buy that canopy and go punch your "friend" in the balls for even trying to sell you something that will KILL you!

Your skills arent good enough with 75 jumps. Period"

He is absolutely right, low jump number or not. So if HE knows that at 32 jumps, YOU are seriously lacking HIS knowledge even though you have TWICE the jump numbers. If jump numbers mean that much to you I'd be really ashamed right now ;)

BTW posting PM's (on any forum) is just not done, so another strike against your knowledge.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Hello my friend,

I am at the same experience level as yours. The only thing I will say to you is to be safe for yourself and safe for others.

Like in every aspect of life more experienced people will have an advice for you. Hear it, evaluate it and then it is absolutely your choice to follow it or not.

Now this not an advice but just an opinion. If I was you I would not buy or jump the canopy. I jump a 190 and I am in no rush to downsize. I have many years in front of me to do that.

Just a friendy opinion

Blue ones

Why is this NOOB PMing me?

"n00b" is a climbing reference. It's a called a "whuffo" in skydiving.

If a real skydiver would like to give me their opinion of my purchase, I'm all ears.

Odds are good that if you jump this a few times, you will die. Do you have any other questions?
Safe swoops
Sangiro

while some of you have reasonable responses, there's always people like this katzurki who speak in some kind of code. What the hell does bingo have to do with this?

I quit. not skydiving. just posting. I have a new profile, but I've been reading DZ.com for a long time. This site has gone to the dogs. Its all about arguing and name-calling and putting down new jumpers. I have an A license, I earned it. Now I am going to push my limits the way I choose to. I just deleted my BIO information. No one needs to know me on here. I'll leave this site to all you squabblers. Not to mention the true jumpers with MANY dives who try to squash new jumpers for being ambitous. Thanks for nothing.[:/]

I've never seen anything but enthusiasm for new jumpers on this site. Yes, sometimes you will get flamed if it seems like you are making mistakes or getting bad advice. But in reality, people are looking out for new jumpers on here. At least that's what I've found.

Push the limits, huh? Isn't jumping from planes pushing the limits? Why make things more complicated and risky by choosing to jump a canopy loaded at 1.66 with 74 jumps. I don't know what your canopy skills are, maybe they are above average for your jump numbers. But to put this whole 1.66 into perspective, if I jumped a canopy loaded at 1.66, I'd be on, oh, a 99 sq. ft canopy. I can't even begin to think about being on something that small at this point in my skydiving career.

Calling yourself ambitious is far from the truth. Dictionary.com defines ambitious as 1.) having ambition; eagerly desirous of achieving or obtaining success, power, wealth, a specific goal, etc.: ambitious students.

There's nothing wrong with being ambitious, but putting yourself and possibly others at risk by flying a small canopy that's above your skills is not ambitious, it's stupid.

Posting another persons PM to you on the public part of this site, seems to me to show a lake of good judgment, as does your choice in canopy progression.
------------------------------------------------------
"From the mightiest pharaoh to the lowliest peasant,
who doesn't enjoy a good sit?" C. Montgomery Burns

Hey pal you've got it so right here.

I get so sick of hearing people saying I cant be on this 10 way head down because I only have 100+ jumps, I only just come back into the sport after a 1yr layoff and I never done a head down jump before.

I guess this is not the forum for me to ask whether its ok at my experience to do a 270 degree swoop while wearing a wingsuit (would be a first for both so save on the beers with a double first - with a bit of luck I'd get a malfunction)

;)

Seriuosly though, I'd have been feeling the flaming coming before I'd even finished writing your email. Cant wait to read your next one.

I quite sincerely hope you're still around and skydiving in a couple of years so that you can cringe when you come back and read this.

Jumping a really small canopy means that you can't screw up, you can't push the limits in learning. Because you're already pushing that one limit (wingloading), you've robbed yourself of the chance to push just how low to turn, just how high, just how much riser, etc. Really.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Going one step past not jumping the canopy I think you should go find a new DZ as well.I question the safety of a place that would let you make the decision to fly that canopy,if the 1.66 loading is correct.It's all goog when everything goes well.People make mistakes while learning to fly a canopy.When you make a mistake at that loading there is a good chance you are going to be seriously injured or die.
You have had some very experienced people give you advice here and they all have said the same thing.If you choose no to listen because of the way some people gave you their opinion just remember they aren't even going to come to your ash dive.

Great advice Wendy, another reason to not downsize so soon is that there are a ton of scenarios out there that dont happen on a regular basis. My jump numbers are low b/c I have been out of the sport for nearly two years due to a landing accident. I was flying a sabre II 150 at a .92 wingloading, and came into a situation that I had no expierence in. The result, I didnt know how to properly handle it and or make the right decision and hurt myself, luckily I hurt my pride more than my body. Im planning on jumping again in 2 weeks, but since I have been out, I have done a ton of reading and self educating. Had I been flying a canopy any smaller, the end result would have been much worse. In perfect conditions, I can land nicely with no issues, but you can never rely on the conditions being perfect. But it takes years in the sport to know what the possible scenarios are and and how to deal with them properly. And even then things can still go wrong. Sorry about joining in on the "bounce bingo" but if your lucky enough to be in the sport for awhile, you will one day encounter someone who is really making a big gamble with their lives and you too will probably join in on BB. Hope you decide not to push the envelope until you have more jumps. There are already enough uneducated people out there giving skydiving a bad name without a licensed jumper adding fuel to the fire. So why dont you take it slow, get your skills where they need to be and downsize at a sensible rate and become that skydiver that the new guys look upto instead of becoming a statistic.....:)

Everyone should rock it like me. I have a PD 280 and wingloading at a sick .92! People at my DZ are in absolute awe when I come swooping in. Damn, I'm good!;) Only have 82 jumps too. Basically, reinventing the sport as I go.

HELL YEAH!! You should have seen me on my PD230 last weekend!! I scorched the turf with a blistering ground speed of about 5 MPH. All you sissy-boys with your little baby canopies can eat my dust!!

You have a horrible additude... honestly I don't see why he cares if you maim yourself. I sure don't. :D Please do it at the begining of the season, so we can enjoy the rest of the year without having to constantly look out for your stupid ass under canopy.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Quick aside regarding our Bounce Bingo pool at The Ranch: it’s spatial, not temporal. I.e., we have an overhead view of the DZ and surrounding areas divided up with a grid. Boxes on the grid sell for $10. If the person goes in in your box you win the pool.

Now, before you post about how “sick and disgusting” this is, let me explain: Bounce Bingo is a last resort to try and reach people who are behaving really dangerously simply not listening to everyone’s feedback. (Doesn’t always work, but it has generated one of the all time most amusing threads on Dropzone.com – search “Is Death Game Legal.”) On the off chance your post is for real, the fact that people want to place Bingo bets on you suggests the need for you to reevaluate your attitude towards the sport and your fellow jumpers. Please?

Dean
www.wci.nyc