floridadiver81

Transporting rig on motorcycle?

I only did it once I had a 1:45 min in a car 45 min ride on bike;) My back was killing me by the time I rode up there jumped and rode back. The only thing I did which made it safer for the ride was put a rubber band around the pilot chute and kept checking it up there repeating to myself to take it off once I got up there. So basically I wouldnt do anything i did I was young and didnt think it through. Buy a cheap car!!!:)

Is this safe?

Sure. You can bungee your gear bag to the passenger seat, put it in a pannier, or stick it in a top case (I used a 50L givi) on a rear rack. The last option makes you a little wheelie prone. Both hard luggage options are lockable so you can leave the rig outside when you go in to get a burger.

Wearing it would get uncomfortable (even a small rig weighs 20 pounds) and be stupid (the pilot chute will catch enough air to open your parachute at 60-80 MPH).

I have taken mine in my bike without any problem,

I have an oakley backpack which is extremely comfortable and fits my rig/glasses altimeter, pants and long sleeve.

just make sure its a comfortable backpack and better if it has a chest strap and a belly strap so that it doesnt move around.

Reading this thread just made me realize that a lot of skydivers are dumb.:| wow.

And you didnt know that before wow..lol
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

ive gone a couple blocks.. like around to the other side of the airport.. skydiving helmet on.. altimeter on. it was summer and hopnpops so i didnt have a jumpsuit on. i just shoved the pilot chute all the way in the BOC then rode there. did a quick gearcheck, repacked my PC and manifested.im sure it would have been fine at a higher speed but im not dumb enough to take the chance. i just rode back to the clubhouse and tossed it in a locker when i was done.

Reading this thread just made me realize that a lot of skydivers are dumb.:| wow.

Go read the gearwash thread in GnR there's some sparks flying there too:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I do this quite often.

Wearing it is not a good idea. It will throw off your balance, when that balance is needed the most. Several above have stated reasons why wearing it is bad too.

I have an OD green laundry bag that I slide mine into and strap down with a small cargo net to the rear of my Road King. I lace the helmet strap through the top of the cargo net. I also keep a big black garbage bag with it, in case it rains. The net is tight and I've never had a problem. It's never moved an inch, and I do not drive slowly.

There's a very easy solution to the problem of leaving safety pins on during a jump. Pilots have had this problem for 100 years and they've solved it perfectly.

Every safety storage device on an airplane has a large red flag marked "Remove before flight".

The extra pin on a rig shouldn't be just a pin. It should be a pin attached to a long red streamer. Make it huge! Make it glow in the dark. Make that streamer sing loudly. Make it blink! Make it twice as long as the rig itself.

Nobody will miss it. Trust me.

The problem with base jumpers leaving rubber band and pullup cords on PCs is they don't have big red flags on the safety devices. That's all there is to it.

I've actually more than once seen pilots happily taxi to the active without removing the pitot cover which, of course, has a big red "remove before flight" streamer attached to it. [:/]
If it can be overlooked, eventually it will. The best thing is not to disable the rig in any way, unless you are actually taking it apart (i.e. there is no way you could actually put it on by mistake).

Cheers,

Vale

I always wondered what it would be like for my wife to ride my Harley with me on the back, get it up to about 80 and then deploy my chute. Not that I would ever really do such a thing. But I got my answer last night when I watched Jack Ass 2. Wee Man stands behind a swamp boat as they wrap it up to about 80 and then he deploys a parachute. Talk about a wild deployment. That stunt alone made the whole movie worth watching. Wee Man has balls the size of bowling balls.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

Is it necessary to stoop to name calling; probably so.

When I got into skydiving a motorcycle was my main form of transportation. This was in the ripcord days, so I would bury the pins as deep as I could, put the rig on (legstaps too) and take off. The ride to the drop zone was about 25 miles or so.

At the end of one particularly fast ride I pulled up by the manifest to park, put the kickstand down and, as I stepped off the bike, my main opened, letting the spring loaded "Hot Dog" pilot chute fly about six feet behind me. Amazing, the effects of a little vibration.

I made arrangements to leave my rig at the DZ after that, which worked fine since I was there six days a week anyway...

no big deal.

I rode from Daytona to WWF 3-years in a row on my bike and also rode to Skydive Space Center in Titusville and Skydive Deland many times with my rig bungee'd onto the seat behind me. A gear bag is best and safest but you can just put a couple of bungees around the container and even if Murphy visits things shouldn't go too wrong.

I actually wore the rig a couple of times to Skydive Daytona (Palm Coast) a few times but it really does screw up your balance and is not comfortable for more than a few miles. I bungee'd it to stop any unexpected deployments.