Has skydiving lost the "hippy" vibe?

Social and economic changes over the decades are reflected in a manner peculiar to the sport. This is to say that, though we represent a somewhat unusual cross-section, the society of which we are a subset is greatly different now that we are bringing Peace, Justice and the American Way to Mesopotamia than it was, say, during the Southeast Asian War Games.

Howards, Norsemen, Beech 18s and DC-3s have been supplanted by TwOtters, KingAirs and other turbine platforms.

Sex & Drugs & Rock and Roll have been trumped by AIDS (wrap that rascal!), the War on Drugs (just say no, kids) and Hip Hop (barf).

The days of a hot-knifed cheapo in a B-12 rig with a borrowed chest-mount twill 24' being beginner gear are long gone. So, too, is the static line jump at a club after a morning's instruction, all for the price of a bag of pot (Columbian Gold, pricey at $40 - not skunk weed sold by the gram).

Now you have the tandem jumps underwriting million dollar jump ships, and AFF courses at thousands of dollars that turns out Instant Skygods who drop six or eight gees on color coordinated gear.

AFF, of course, focuses on the important part of the skydive and treats as an afterthought the part of the jump that involves saving your life. The parachute end of things is addressed by premium canopy coaching, where people learn to do CRW with the planet. Femur is now a verb.

Most of us who could tuck our hair into our belts have gone low-key (sort of). There are quite a few of us who understand what is viewed as "hippie" by those who don't know better (hippie != freak).

I suppose we have become a fringe-element subculture of a fringe-element subculture, which is itself marvelously ironic.

Compared to the well-heeled sheep out there, being a "nobody" is good fun.

Blue skies & purple haze,

Winsor

a subset within a subset within a subset!? Man, you just blew my mind, heavy!

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

I have to go buy an altimeter pillow that matches my sunglassess and helmut.

Now, Bill, if you would have said, "I have to go buy an altimeter pillow that matches my sunglasses and frap hat" you might have entered the "Miles" hippy category and I might have laughed a little out loud![:/];)

I dug out my frap hat last year to wear on a day when we weren't training 4-way. Half of it was completely covered in a yellow mold. I am now absent a good frap hat.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Since we are already on some wild tangents here, I will concur with you about frap hat mold and deterioration. I wore mine so much the leather just rotted away at the brow. No problem; I just zig-zagged over it over and over and hit the leading edge with a binding tape machine. Alas, I guess I finally totally lost that one (it was blue with orange "arrows"). Sad, since I was going to permanently sew my muffs to it for those special Muff Brother dives.

Chuck

Lessons learned in the 70's:

Bongs don't work in freefall.
Power-Hitters do.
Beer cans sometime explode at altitude.
Opening beers in freefall gets you wet.
Dropped 1/2-full beers makes a cool little crater.
Bang-Bang Sally can ROCK a DC-3.
Riding a BMW down the runway is cool until you come up on the fence at the end that you forgot about.
You can hear 800 watts/channel at 2500 ft under canopy.
Jumping polyester leisure suits is NOT cool - funny-yes, cool-no.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Dave,
You gott be a youngun'

It's hippie not hippy.

Only a Yuppie would make that mistake.
:D:D:P

Ain't no denying brother, i'm a youngun who only dreams of being back in a fog filled love fest of tie dye and bad acid aka The Decade of Mysticism aka The Free Love aka communes and stuff aka the 60's.

However, i also have a yearning to talk about the great returns the Dow has made while cruising about in a Hummer, so i'm naturally somewhat confused as to where this fits in with my skydiving subset.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

reply]

Ain't no denying brother, i'm a youngun who only dreams of being back in a fog filled love fest of tie dye and bad acid aka The Decade of Mysticism aka The Free Love aka communes and stuff aka the 60's.

However, i also have a yearning to talk about the great returns the Dow has made while cruising about in a Hummer, so i'm naturally somewhat confused as to where this fits in with my skydiving subset.

I'm sure there are places where rich folk get together to brag to each other about how rich they are, but this isn't the place for that. Now if you want to talk skydiving, that's another matter.

What many of these posts are saying is that hippies were once a big part of skydiving....Much of the writing here reflects what skydiving was like back in the day. I have a ton of repect for those who are sharing their past with us.

Furthermore was the 60's really a time of fog filled love fests and free love communes. Sounds to me like I missed out on all the fun.[:/]....Steve1

Doing drugs and having sex did not and do not make you a hippie.

Do you know anything about hippies?
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Do you know anything about hippies?

only that apparently they now all own 3 piece suits and manage hedge funds (it's mentioned soimewhere in this thread). Oh yeah and they used to do lots of drugs and have free sex on tap 24/7. Or something?

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

yea i here ya i have started many a topic about sky gods ect its like if you jump what i jump (a bsic cotton jumpsuit from fort benning ) you are not a skydiver and ect eh forget it i will just have fun and bring up my friends and get them into it lets make the change and get these skygods in there place .away from driving out memberships away we wonder why noone wants to get into skydiving well soo many tandem students get turned away by the attitudes at dz's not to mention the 3000$ it takes to get your licens plus the 5000 for a rig and oh that dolche and gabana jumpsuit

eh i duno but blue skys here in nj ime out time to hit the air

enjoy the season and jump safe all and just think of it this way if your a pompas prick and you drive thoes from comming ot the sport membership will decline we wont be able to mount defences when they try to stop us from jumping and then that 500% jumpsuit you have will be useless

Aww shit, all that time and effort wasted!

I always heard the way to tell a Hippy from a Yuppie was to ask them..."How do ya score clean points?"

One will take ya to manifest, the other to the parking lot! :$

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Hippy skydive chicks are hot.

This is how I remember it (see pic). Hippie skydive chicks were "Snoots", an all girl team "Snoots are for Toots" even had their own T shirts at the Turkey Meet, although I don't think the shirts were tie dye. Picture is Spaceland chicks (snoots), and they are hot...

Nowadays it seems that unless you have a matching rig/jumpsuit/sunglasses/helmet colour coordination going on, 100 hours in the tunnel and a personal trainer (see: world class coach) on tap, making a minimum of 500 jumps/year at multiple locations around the world, travelling on your own private lear jet and snorting coke with 15000 jump skygods, you are a nobody.

This seems like a really specific description. Is this an exaggeration, or are there really jumpers that fit this profile?:|
=========Shaun ==========