Has skydiving lost the "hippy" vibe?

There was another kind of windowpane that led to insights,

Yes, but it only really works "insights" if the doors are open and you cross through. Most people reach a deeper level of understanding of the universe and ones self, others lose their minds, however your perceptions many very open your 3rd eye and you'll see.;):)
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Well I got my start at a somwhat renagade 182 DZ with a grass strip and a Beech 18 for the "big" loads.
The people that were there for the early bird load, were still there for the sunset load.
Everything was pretty much honor system: you kept up with your own jumps, food you ate, and placed beer in the fridge EVERY week.

Im too young to know of "days gone by" but being the son of "hippie types" I did my rebelling in college. Then I had to get a real job, so I cut my hair, shaved my scraggly face and now I have a job that pays me enough to make more than one jump at a super fast turbin DZ.
at the end of the day we often have 30+ staying for dinner and partying. The alcohol ot mostly community, no one gets left out. The girls get frisky, and dance on the stripper pole. They guys get drunk and think they have a shot, and are promptly shot down. Those that stay often share mattresses, blankets, campers, with our friends.

Id say no, we havent lost the "hippy" vibe, its just evolved into something a little different. B|

Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Social and economic changes over the decades are reflected in a manner peculiar to the sport. This is to say that, though we represent a somewhat unusual cross-section, the society of which we are a subset is greatly different now that we are bringing Peace, Justice and the American Way to Mesopotamia than it was, say, during the Southeast Asian War Games.

Howards, Norsemen, Beech 18s and DC-3s have been supplanted by TwOtters, KingAirs and other turbine platforms.

Sex & Drugs & Rock and Roll have been trumped by AIDS (wrap that rascal!), the War on Drugs (just say no, kids) and Hip Hop (barf).

The days of a hot-knifed cheapo in a B-12 rig with a borrowed chest-mount twill 24' being beginner gear are long gone. So, too, is the static line jump at a club after a morning's instruction, all for the price of a bag of pot (Columbian Gold, pricey at $40 - not skunk weed sold by the gram).

Now you have the tandem jumps underwriting million dollar jump ships, and AFF courses at thousands of dollars that turns out Instant Skygods who drop six or eight gees on color coordinated gear.

AFF, of course, focuses on the important part of the skydive and treats as an afterthought the part of the jump that involves saving your life. The parachute end of things is addressed by premium canopy coaching, where people learn to do CRW with the planet. Femur is now a verb.

Most of us who could tuck our hair into our belts have gone low-key (sort of). There are quite a few of us who understand what is viewed as "hippie" by those who don't know better (hippie != freak).

I suppose we have become a fringe-element subculture of a fringe-element subculture, which is itself marvelously ironic.

Compared to the well-heeled sheep out there, being a "nobody" is good fun.

Blue skies & purple haze,

Winsor

And you could cut "four-way" Window Pane into four equal pieces and it really leveled the competition playing field. Except for the bottom end. "Geeeeeee, everyone is pulling, maybe I should tooooooo!!!!!!"

I've tried that "E" stuff and found it speedy and weak ass . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

AFF, of course, focuses on the important part of the skydive and treats as an afterthought the part of the jump that involves saving your life. The parachute end of things is addressed by premium canopy coaching, where people learn to do CRW with the planet. Femur is now a verb.

Spoken like a true survivor of the GOOD old Dayz! B|

Remember when it didn't matter what you jumped or drove, just that you were THERE?!

...Ride to altitude last weekend, a newly minted expert spent much of the climb warning me of the inherent dangers of my Frap Hat.:|

The helmet I bought new when he was still shitting mustard in 3 corner pants!:ph34r:

He told how much advanced the head gear of the 21st century is...and that mine didn't even have a mounting place for audibles!:)

I took it off and showed him that in fact there are TWO pockets internal, left one holds a decades old dytter...and as I was opening the right one making a comment about it once being a 'stash' pocket...out falls the crumbled remnants of a mother earths finest hand-rolled, that must have been in there 20 years! :D:D:D

I thought the poor kid was gonna FAINT! ;)

A year ago I was out of town jumping with friends at a good sized DZ, that just happened to have an AFF certification course going that weekend.

Been YEARS since I went through mine, watching the goings on...the single most prevalent thought I had was~

WHAT THE FUCK?!?!:o

KIDS TODAY! B|:ph34r:;):S

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

>>KIDS TODAY!
With their hats and that music . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

...damn pants hangin' down with their skivvies hangin' out! :ph34r:

What's this world coming to...can't even buy an gal-dang OLDSMOBILE anymore! [:/]

Hippy skydive chicks are hot.

Not the nappy-headed ones with bad body odor!

OH HELL YEAH!!! i lowered my standards, so I'm never dissappointed.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

And you can never forget the smell of pachoulie oil as perfume.
damn does the smell of that shit bring back memories.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

And you can never forget the smell of pachoulie oil as perfume.
damn does the smell of that shit bring back memories.

Or scraping the crusties off the main the next morning...uttering that time honored phrase~

"What was your name again?!";)

Id say no, we havent lost the "hippy" vibe, its just evolved into something a little different.

Such as killer "Klondike Bars". :S:ph34r:
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

"I hate hippies! I mean, the way they always talk about "protectin' the earth" and then drive around in cars that get poor gas mileage and wear those stupid bracelets - I hate 'em! I wanna kick 'em in the nuts!" Cartman

If you didn't like hippies it would have been hard to find anyone to jump with back in the 70's. This is a picture of my team "Nine and a Piece" back in "73". I don't think the Airforce Academy liked us much either that year. Particularly after we kicked their rear in competition.

I'm the one with the least hair. I was also the one with the least experience. I was just lucky that this wild bunch let me jump with them. I think this is where B.J. got his start as an organizer.

This was back in the day when Men were Men and the sheep were scared in Montana....Steve1

I have to go buy an altimeter pillow that matches my sunglassess and helmut.

Now, Bill, if you would have said, "I have to go buy an altimeter pillow that matches my sunglasses and frap hat" you might have entered the "Miles" hippy category and I might have laughed a little out loud![:/];)