diverds

Skydive Radio Interviews Col. Joseph Kittinger. Questions Welcome.

Skydive Radio will be conducting an interview with Col. Joseph Kittinger in the near future. We are very excited to have this opportunity and are welcoming questions from the skydiving community. You can post them here or email them to us at [email protected].

Many thanks to Jennifer Galbraith (peregrinerose) for putting us in contact with Mr. Kittinger and making this interview possible.

Skydive Radio

Im excited to hear that interview! what was the sensation of falling like with such a small amout of resistance up there did he feel like he was falling fast? Is he surprised that none topped his record yet with all thenew technology out there?

One question I would ask him if I ever met him would be if he had the chance to do a similar jump again for just the experience, not the science, would he?
"I'm not lost. I don't know where I'm going, but there's no sense in being late."
Mathew Quigley

Would he be willing to autograph my copies of the books "The Long Lonely Leap," and "Man High"?
I first read both of them when I was in grade school and after years of searching, I now have first edition hard copies of both.
I had the pleasure of meeting the man twice, and he is an interesting fellow. He's done a lot more than the highest, longest jump in his life.
Zing Lurks

A few ...

Has he kept up with skydiving technological advancements, and if he has, how does he think a re-enactment of his jumps from 1959 and 1960 would be different today? (Would he or she swoop at the end? :D ).

What does he think of the concept described here: http://www.popsci.com/popsci/aviationspace/3c082d2daa463110vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd.html

Any lingering effects from the de-pressurization on the third jump? I've heard of a cosmonaut (I forget his name) who had a de-pressurization in a glove that had arthritis-like symptoms for years afterward.

In that era was there much chance of anyone but the most experienced and skilled skydivers achieving a stable body position? I was under the impression that Captain Kittinger was more of a test pilot type than an actual skydiver.

I guess my questions would be more along the lines of how many jumps and what kind of freefall training had he done up to that point.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

> In that era was there much chance of anyone but the most experienced
>and skilled skydivers achieving a stable body position?

The first RW was 1956 (baton pass) - stable body position was taught well before that. Kittenger's jump was in 1959.

However, I would expect that, since it was intended to test ejection systems, that even had Kittenger known how to get to a stable body position, he would have remained in a seated position for the test, since that more closely emulates a pilot after ejection from a high altitude aircraft.

Given the stiffness of the inflated suit, I am curious if a modern skydiver could assume a stable position at all, with the restrictions the suit would place on him/her.

If he is a Colonel thats my bad. All the information I have ever read refers to him as Capt. Kittinger. Perhaps he was a Capt at the time of the jump but retired as a Colonel? If so can you point me to that information? Thanks.

-Dave

Skydive Radio

If he is a Colonel thats my bad. All the information I have ever read refers to him as Capt. Kittinger. Perhaps he was a Capt at the time of the jump but retired as a Colonel? If so can you point me to that information?

Googled:

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=1114

http://www.firstflight.org/shrine/joe_kittinger.cfm

Need more? Go to google.com and enter COLONEL Kittinger in the search box...

Ummmm, then press the enter key, of click on the search button...
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

If he is a Colonel thats my bad. All the information I have ever read refers to him as Capt. Kittinger. Perhaps he was a Capt at the time of the jump but retired as a Colonel? If so can you point me to that information? Thanks.

-Dave

My duty here is done.:)
A note: Col. Joe used to come to Vegas quite a bit with his Rosie O'Grady balloon.
In the 80s and 90s my demo team jumped in conjunction with him , his bi-plane and the balloon for several airshows and balloon festivals.
Hes a great guy.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

The only question I can think of to ask him is, "did he shit his spacesuit?"

:D:D:D

It would be cool to meet him, on a serious note.

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I was wanting to know how many times did he say to himself "holy shit this is nuts" before he stepped off the edge. I assumed the suit was returned slightly stinky.......:D:D:D

I was thinking the same thing. Considering he DID fall out of the gondola before he was ready, I'm sure he did say "oh shit".

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

This is BIG !! I want to thank everybody who made this possible !!!

Question:
I know that officially his peak speed in freefall was 1,149 km/h very close to speed of sound at sea level (1238 km/h). Did he felt a sonic boom building? Was the Transonic speed (0.8M to 1.2M) a major factor in the suit design and in the experiment itself?

Did he try tracking at peak speed;)

Lock, Dock and Two Smoking Barrelrolls!

I can't wait to hear that interview. His jump made the cover of LIFE magazine August 29, 1960 which I have framed and hanging on my wall.

So Dave, ask him if he'll autograph it if I send it to him.

Good job lining this up!

Doc
http://www.manifestmaster.com/video

I can't wait to hear that interview. His jump made the cover of LIFE magazine August 29, 1960 which I have framed and hanging on my wall.

Yep, that's his "oh shit" picture...

I'd like to ask him haw he feels about Cheryl Stearns' (and someone else, I don't remember the name) plans to break his speed record. It's been a few years since I've heard anything about the attempts, but I know she was planning on making some higher, faster jumps.

Has anyone heard anything about this in the last 4 years?

http://www.stratoquest.com/mission1.html

Mark Klingelhoefer

edited to add the link to stratoquest

In a book I read (need to check which one when I get home) he described giving a verbal commentary on the way down that was recorded on some sort of tape recorder. In the book was a transcript of parts of his commentary, so the recording obviously worked.

What would be VERY cool, would be to get hold of a copy of that transcript and play that as part of the interview on Skydive Radio. It'd give us a great experience to hear his words during the fall...and I'm sure would be very nostalgic for him.

Perhaps he has a copy, or knows who to approach to get a copy?

I can't wait to hear the interview - have fun.

Skydive Radio will be conducting an interview with Col. Joseph Kittinger in the near future. We are very excited to have this opportunity and are welcoming questions from the skydiving community. You can post them here or email them to us at [email protected].

Many thanks to Jennifer Galbraith (peregrinerose) for putting us in contact with Mr. Kittinger and making this interview possible.

Blue skies!
Gordon
Beware of advice from those with more posts than jumps ;-)