diverds

Skydive Radio Interviews Col. Joseph Kittinger. Questions Welcome.

Would he be willing to autograph my copies of the books "The Long Lonely Leap," and "Man High"?

ask him what the chances are of getting his book(s) republished... its damn hard to find and thats just sad in the age of easy access to internet publishing.

If he is a Colonel thats my bad. All the information I have ever read refers to him as Capt. Kittinger. Perhaps he was a Capt at the time of the jump but retired as a Colonel? If so can you point me to that information? Thanks.

-Dave

HE did the leap when he was a Capt. thats why they all refer to him a capt.

he retired as a col.
My photos

My Videos

Two additions to the video posted above.

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qZzEMoTlMI&mode=related&search=

Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqUG4DcqYFc&mode=related&search=

Good info! This is going to be one cool interview on SkydiveRadio! Can't wait!

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

He exceeded the speed of sound. When he fell, did he feel the moment he exceeded the speed of sound? Like when jets break the sound barrier and you hear the bang?

Watch the end of this very informative video, and your question might already be answered. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81gn2oLeC_U

Also read: http://hypertextbook.com/facts/JianHuang.shtml

and

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/aerodynamics/q0243.shtml

ltdiver

Skydive Radio will be conducting an interview with Col. Joseph Kittinger in the near future. We are very excited to have this opportunity and are welcoming questions from the skydiving community. You can post them here or email them to us at [email protected].

I have a serious question for him. Many years ago everything I ever read or watched about his jump said that he DID NOT break the speed of sound. He came close, but didn't go supersonic.

Then about ten years ago I saw him on a TV show claiming that he DID exceed the speed of sound. Now it seems that everyone takes this as a fact. What does he have to say about this?

Does anyone know where the official record of his jump can be found? Can someone with one of the books about his jump please post what it says about this matter?

Don't get me wrong. It was an amazing accomplishment and I salute him for it. And I could be wrong, but it seems to me that the facts about his speed have changed over the years.

From what Ive read it seems he did break the speed but people were bitching because he was able to break the speed because the atmosphere was so thin.

so it wasn't true air speed Or some nonsense like that.

IMO he broke the sound barrier whether is was in thinner atmosphere or not he still went that fast.
My photos

My Videos

> From what Ive read it seems he did break the speed but people were
>bitching because he was able to break the speed because the atmosphere
>was so thin.

The speed of sound depends only on temperature, not air pressure. From what I've seen, using the predicted temperatures from his descent, he did not exceed the speed of sound. He definitely didn't exceed 771 mph, which is the speed of sound at 72F. Indeed, as far as I can tell he didn't exceed 614mph; even at -100F (which is a pretty low temperature in terms of the atmosphere) the speed of sound is 634mph. He came close but did not exceed it.

> From what Ive read it seems he did break the speed but people were
>bitching because he was able to break the speed because the atmosphere
>was so thin.

>The speed of sound depends only on temperature, not air pressure. From what I've seen, using the predicted temperatures from his descent, he did not exceed the speed of sound. He definitely didn't exceed 771 mph, which is the speed of sound at 72F. Indeed, as far as I can tell he didn't exceed 614mph; even at -100F (which is a pretty low temperature in terms of the atmosphere) the speed of sound is 634mph. He came close but did not exceed it.

Thanks for the input Bill. I found the following calculator where you can put in an altitude (which actually defines the air temperature, not pressure) and a speed (based on distance over time, i.e. MPH). I'm not sure where you got the speed of 614 mph, but using that, he clearly never exceeded the speed of sound. I would like Skydive Radio to ask him about this.

How can I put this politely?- It is my personal belief that Kittinger "stretched the truth" once about going supersonic while doing an interview, and has had to continue doing it to save face. All of the old books or article I have read over the years said he DID NOT go supersonic and over the last ten years or so I have seen Kittinger on TV claiming he DID. I think it's time that someone called him on this, and got his side of the story.

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/sound.html

I don't think you have to put it politely if you were interviewing him. Hopefully the guys at SDRadio will ask.

It may be possible that he lied. I could swear (and I often do) that he said he HEARD the boom as he broke the barrier.

That is why I said he broke the sound barrier. If he lied than he lied. I don't know if you would hear the BOOM if you were the one breaking the barrier.

Any(military) pilots wanna answer that?
My photos

My Videos

I don't know if you would hear the BOOM if you were the one breaking the barrier.

Nice one though. I'd think you might hear it when you slowed back to subsonic.

I think the formation of the start of any type of bow wave would generate enough drag that he'd never cross over. You have to push through the barrier, I think. He has no push (propulsion).

I bet he 'heard' something, but unlikely a 'boom'. Doubt that simple weight vs drag would be sufficient at those temps to go sonic.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>that he said he HEARD the boom as he broke the barrier.

That's not possible. The boom is caused by a pressure wave that moves over the ground. He would be causing the pressure wave, and as such would merely see higher pressure in front of him.

Pilots and passengers of supersonic aircraft don't hear anything either (other than the usual engine and wind noise.)

>and as such would merely see higher pressure in front of him.

I understand 'higher pressure' looks like bunnies when you 'see' it. Purple bunnies with stars pinned to their vests

but that could just be altitude effects on the mind

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>and as such would merely see higher pressure in front of him.

I understand 'higher pressure' looks like bunnies when you 'see' it. Purple bunnies with stars pinned to their vests

but that could just be altitude effects on the mind

Sonic BOOM or Sonic BONG? Purple bunnies?
"I'm not lost. I don't know where I'm going, but there's no sense in being late."
Mathew Quigley

I had heard or read one time where his suit failed during the freefall and his hand had no feeling for some amount of time. Could you get alittle more details on this? I think it would really give us a clear understanding of the risks he took. Also what was the process for the planning of this jump and how long did the planning and preperations take? Can't wait to hear this show!!! This one will rank right up there with the Bill Booth interviews in my book!!!

Chris
It's Jimmy Time!!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-Fast-As-Fuck/6099474213

Did he attempt any sort of freefall stability control and how did it go when/if he did?

How long was the climb to altitude.

What was going on behind the scenes to determine the actual landing area before he stepped off?

How was it that HE got chosen instead of somebody else? What was the decision process?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I had heard or read one time where his suit failed during the freefall

The right arm failed on the way up in the gondola. He knew that if he reported it they wouldn't let the operation continue and bring him back down. So he kept it to himself.

Yes, it would be interesting to hear, in his own words, just how painful it was and such. I understand that he got full use of his hand back by the 24 hour mark. Lucky man.

ltdiver

Just watched a BBC series The Planets (Atmosphere) where Col. Kittinger talks about the jump.

BBC has a good piece about it, so I wanted to share.
http://www.tv-links.co.uk/show.do/9/5258

Click on show #6 Atmosphere, it will play in flash.

The coverage is between minutes 2.30 - 8.
It's breathtaking!

Very cool. Thanks for sharing the find. :)
ltdiver