k_marr08

Double Total Malfunction

I'm having a discussion with my bro-in-law (non-jumper) and he said that he read a Reader's Digest article 20-30 years ago that described a double total malfunction in which neither parachute OPENED at all and the guy landed at terminal and survived. He was in the hospital for a while and he spoke of a PLF and that's all the info I have -- anyone know anything about this?? I've heard of a guy landing in trees and then snow after jumping out of a burning plane without a parachute and surviving, but this isn't the same story. Thanks!
"I believe the risks I take are justified by the sheer love of the life I lead" - Charles Lindbergh

Highly unlikely but searching for it probably would be a pain. It's possible that after 20-30 years, you don't remember the exact words or exactly what happened in a magazine story.

Hiya Bolas!
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

You sure he's not thinking of that episode of Grey's Anatomy from earlier this year? ;)

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I would say that's generally true, but then again, you don't know my brother in law ;)
I've never found him to be wrong yet, but my thoughts were with highly unlikely as well. I did a short internet search and found nothing. Just wondering if anyone here remembers something like this. Thanks!!!!:)

"I believe the risks I take are justified by the sheer love of the life I lead" - Charles Lindbergh

You sure he's not thinking of that episode of Grey's Anatomy from earlier this year? ;)

I may have missed it, but there was a different show (forgot the name of it, but it's new) that showed a double mal with the guy going straight in. One of the main characters goes up for his first jump and lands fine, then the guy he made a business deal with by doing the jump, goes in, and the business deal went with him.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Maybe it was one of those deals where he had a streamer and then an entanglement and just had a wad of fabric above him slowing him down somewhat.

(Shrugs) I dunno.

How are you doing girl?

"Don't! Get! Eliminated!"

I've heard of a guy landing in trees and then snow after jumping out of a burning plane without a parachute and surviving, but this isn't the same story.

Nicholas Alkemade. Google him or search here - I've made at least half a dozen posts on his fall, and there'll be others too. I've got a copy of the certificate the Germans gave him somewhere on my bookshelves if I can find the time to dig it out.

I may have missed it, but there was a different show (forgot the name of it, but it's new) that showed a double mal with the guy going straight in. One of the main characters goes up for his first jump and lands fine, then the guy he made a business deal with by doing the jump, goes in, and the business deal went with him.

BIG SHOTS! ;)

Muff Brother # 3883, SCR # 14796 ICD # 1 - Pres.
Yeah, I noticed and I think it's funny!

I'm having a discussion with my bro-in-law (non-jumper) and he said that he read a Reader's Digest article 20-30 years ago that described a double total malfunction in which neither parachute OPENED at all and the guy landed at terminal and survived.

From the way newspapers usually report parachuting accidents, they probably said something like "both chutes failed". But that can mean anything, including maybe both chutes were deployed but entangled, for example. And of course, in a scenario like that, it's much more likely that the jumper can survive, than a true double total.

Don't put too much credence in an old news story, nor in your brother's interpretation of that old news story.

I'm having a discussion with my bro-in-law (non-jumper) and he said that he read a Reader's Digest article 20-30 years ago that described a double total malfunction in which neither parachute OPENED at all and the guy landed at terminal and survived. He was in the hospital for a while and he spoke of a PLF and that's all the info I have -- anyone know anything about this?? I've heard of a guy landing in trees and then snow after jumping out of a burning plane without a parachute and surviving, but this isn't the same story. Thanks!

Dunno. Stranger things have happened... rather be lucky than good... and all that... but most whuffo stories of "so and so" and "such and such" where "neither parachute opened" and the lucky SOB still survived are really more like a main / reserve entanglement (now a days) or (backing up some years) a streamer... which will slow you down as opposed to full-on freefall... then with a bit of luck (i.e. what you land on) can be survivable... although, the person can (usually) ends up badly to horribly injured... :S

Anyway, I usually write off most all whuffo stores like these as to really be along these lines.

He may in fact be remembering the article as it was written correctly. The problem may be with the accuracy of article. I have probably never read an article on skydiving, in a non-skydiving publication, that was 100% accurate. The writers always get it wrong somewhere.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Roger Reynolds had a highly publicized double mal during an intentinal cutaway jump in the late 70'. After a year of recovery, he appeared on the tonight show, made People magazine, etc. It wasn't a double total, but it seemed that way in the whuffo press.

Roger couldn't get a capewell to release after jumping from 1800agl with a packed streamer, and had to dump the reserve into a main trailing by one riser.

Years later, Roger taught me how to do PLF's, so I've got that going for me.

;)

It was a Golden Knight circa 1980. Had a double mal, knew he had to do a great PLF. When he hit he described the feeling as walking into a room and someone turning the lights out and getting hit with pillows. He landed in a Doctor's yard and the doctor ran ran out to help. He attributed his living to two things, the PLF and the doctor. He knew he'd done a great PLF because every one of the bones in the five points of contact were severly damaged. He spent a year in the hospital. When he was released, he was driving home and passed his old home DZ. He stopped, turned around and drove in. He said he had to make one more jump.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I'm almost positive, that story of the skydiver landing in the doctors front yard was on a tv show called THATS INCREDIBLE way back in the day...damn that makes me feel old....errr I'am

LOL

anyone else remember that show....

Mike
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting - "fcuk me what a ride!"

It was a Golden Knight circa 1980. Had a double mal, knew he had to do a great PLF. When he hit he described the feeling as walking into a room and someone turning the lights out and getting hit with pillows. He landed in a Doctor's yard and the doctor ran ran out to help. He attributed his living to two things, the PLF and the doctor. He knew he'd done a great PLF because every one of the bones in the five points of contact were severly damaged. He spent a year in the hospital. When he was released, he was driving home and passed his old home DZ. He stopped, turned around and drove in. He said he had to make one more jump.

yes yes yes!! that's the one!! woo hoo!! hehe and here I thought he MIGHT be wrong -- but my bro in law said earlier that all the guy's PLF bones were broken haha! yay THANKS SO MUCH EVERYONE FOR YOUR INPUT!!! this is 100% the right story -- craziness.

It was a Golden Knight circa 1980. Had a double mal, knew he had to do a great PLF...

Hmmm...so either it wasn't really a total (ie he had something out to pull him to an upright position to do a PLF) or he was able to assume the PLF position in freefall. Wouldn't the latter require him to be a freeflyer and I didn't think people knew how to freefly back in 1980?
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

Wouldnt having a total mal (nothing out) and being in a full stand position speed him up past terminal and guarantee death. I know my little ass in a stand is in the 170 range from my average belly to earth 98mph.

Please correct if I'm wrong.

Blues,

Billy
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

It may have been an urban legend, but I remember back in my SF days the tale of a guy coming in sans parachute and did a PLF in a soggy backyard of a doctor, who administered first aid, and survived. Again, most likely an urban legend. I heard this back in 1978.

steveOrino