mitsuman

When do you consider yourself a "skydiver"

Personally i have mixed feelings. Due to being a new "skydiver", i feel like after your first aff1 jump you can say your a "skydiver". I have a tandem under my belt and tomorrow will be my AFF1. i wouldn't count tandem just due to the fact that you dont have to really do anything.

but then again i think once i have my license, i wont consider anything less a real "skydiver".

What do you all think?
Hi, my names Jon, and I love to skydive.

You're a skydiver from the first time you jump out of a plane! I've just never considered myself an 'experienced' jumper. But now that we have a lot of new guys on the DZ asking me questions it's kind of wierd. They almost fooled me into thinking that I know what I'm talking about:D

The brave may not live forever, but the timid never live at all.

Personally, I don't feel there is a minimum jump number to become a skydiver.

IMO, it's a combination of knowledge, skills and reaching that moment of transition when jumping becomes part of your soul. For some people it is almost immediate. For others, it takes a while.

What measures can be used for "part of your soul?" Are you comfortable? Have you learned to balance the rewards and risks in your mind? Do you constantly look skyward and day dream of jumping? Do you look forward to that next challenging skill set you're learning? Maybe something else...

So, whether it's immediate or later, everyone of us woke up one day and realized we had crossed some imaginary line in our minds. "Hey, I really am a Skydiver!" :o:)
So, Mitsuman, if you're thinking constantly about your next jump with anticipation, you're either there or really close!B|

IMO, it's a combination of knowledge, skills and reaching that moment of transition when jumping becomes part of your soul. For some people it is almost immediate. For others, it takes a while.

What measures can be used for "part of your soul?" Are you comfortable? Have you learned to balance the rewards and risks in your mind? Do you constantly look skyward and day dream of jumping? Do you look forward to that next challenging skill set you're learning? Maybe something else...

So, whether it's immediate or later, everyone of us woke up one day and realized we had crossed some imaginary line in our minds. "Hey, I really am a Skydiver!" :o:)
So, Mitsuman, if you're thinking constantly about your next jump with anticipation, you're either there or really close!B|

I've been dreaming of skydiving the last few weeks or so...ever since my concentrated weekend of 3 jumps. Can't wait for next time!!! B|

How about once you make your first off site landing without anyone telling you what to do or how to do it? :P

Cool .. I'm a real live skydiver now? My leg still hurts a bit from tripping over that fence while I was coming out of a corn field after my first off site landing last Saturday. Who wants to kiss it for me?
Serious relationships turn into work after a few weeks and I already got a fucking job :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
H.A.F. = Hard As Fuck ... Goddamn Amateurs

How about once you make your first off site landing without anyone telling you what to do or how to do it? :P

Cool .. I'm a real live skydiver now? My leg still hurts a bit from tripping over that fence while I was coming out of a corn field after my first off site landing last Saturday. Who wants to kiss it for me?

Being clumsy on the ground doesn't make you a real skydiver. Only up in the air...:P

There is a different between making your first skydive and being a skydiver.

I think your a skydiver after your officially certified by USPA with an A License. Also I think you need to be currently jumping, and own your own gear.

Consider other sports: Are you a basketball player because you shoot one basket? No. You are a basketball player after you have played several games and live the lifestyle of a basketball player.

So if you have not jumped in about a year, or sold all your gear, or are a 25 jump chump, the thing to tell people is that you have gone skydiving.

but thats just my opinion

You're only a "real" skydiver after you have taken a medal in at least one Nationals competition, saved a plummeting unconscious skydiver from certain death by swooping down on them and deploying their reserve, jumped into a stadium of at least 20,000 people and done gear testing on non-TSOed gear. Until then, no "real" skydiver should give you the time of day.

How's that?

There is a different between making your first skydive and being a skydiver.

I think your a skydiver after your officially certified by USPA with an A License. Also I think you need to be currently jumping, and own your own gear.

Consider other sports: Are you a basketball player because you shoot one basket? No. You are a basketball player after you have played several games and live the lifestyle of a basketball player.

So if you have not jumped in about a year, or sold all your gear, or are a 25 jump chump, the thing to tell people is that you have gone skydiving.

but thats just my opinion

Dammit .. .I almost made it. I'm only a 24 jump chump, but hoping to upgrade that to a 28 or 29 jump chump tomorrow :)
Serious relationships turn into work after a few weeks and I already got a fucking job :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
H.A.F. = Hard As Fuck ... Goddamn Amateurs

I kind of relate it to "getting my shit together" in real life. When I was 12, I said to myself, "Man, when I was 9, I was really stupid, now that I'm 12, I'm pretty smart." When I was 21, I said, "Damn, I was a fucking moron when I was 18; now that I'm 21, I've got my shit together." At age 41, I said, "Yeah, I finally got my shit together, but back when I was 36, I didn't know jack."

I'm guessing it's like that with skydiving. There's so much to learn and experience that I'm guessing it's going to be similar; "Wow, I finally learned this; I finally experienced that."

On a similar note, I don't feel I'm qualified yet to say "Blues Skies" to anyone. Certainly not experienced enough to get a tattoo with a three-ring or a closing pin in the design.

There was this girl who did AFF 1 and called skydiving a hobby instead of a sport and this guy corrected her. She explained that she didn't feel qualified enough to call her involvement in it a sport and thought saying that it was a sport to her would be an insult to the sky gods. I totally understood her point of view.

You are a "skydiver" when...

Your credit card is maxed out...
You think you can fly the otter better than the pilots...
You've been barfed on at a boogie...
You have slept with three of your jumping buddies ex-girlfriends...
You almost get killed load organizing...
You think being a packer would be a cool lifestyle...
You think Scotty Carbone is a good cook...
You wait at the mailbox like you're waiting for an IRS return check, but really you just can't wait to open this months Parachutist to see your picture in a crowd shot of some dudes "gold wing" presentation pic...
You think being on a serious 4 way team will be fun...
You go to Nationals and two people tell you that you owe them money...
You make 42 jumps and are ready to do a BASE jump...
You show a newbie how to pack, and he has a malfunction...
You land downwind on a 20 way and crash land in front of the entire DZ...
You have such canopy madskillz that you have a pair of crutches in your garage...

But when you really know you're a skydiver is when you don't have any of the same friends you used to, have been through two wives and $180,000 and 87 boogies...B|

I'm just kidding, sort of!;)
Welcome and have fun and BE SAFE!

I'm become a skydiver between exiting the plane and deploying my canopy.
after deployment, I am A Parachitist until i land. Then i'm just some dude walking on the grass.

I've never called myself a skydiver, and likely never will
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I think I'd say after your 1st totally un assisted jump. However, I think that my brain considered itself a "skydiver" after the 1st tadem as I knew from that point forward, if I had anything to say about it, Id be skydiving. So you could almost argue that you're a skydiver that moment your brain says "we're going to do this again, and again , and again" and commit to the course of classes/learning the sport. Blue skies
If flying is piloting a plane.. then swimming is driving a boat. I know why birds sing.. I skydive.

Every moment of my life! It doesn't take a million jumps, just a willful mindset. It's not about when I consider you to be a skydiver, it's about when you consider yourself to be one.

Since your asking this question, I suspect your already one.
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

WELL SAIDB|

Just burning a hole in the sky.....