chuckakers

OK, so who knows this clown

The article claims it's a pa-36 "brave" which is a single seater....Looking at that plane it looks like it'd be pretty easy to get out of. Just a glass canopy around the pilot.

The original CNN story in message #1 says it is a "six-seat Piper PA-46". So if you've read differently, now we have conflicting stories about exactly what type of plane it was.

I found the track log from ATC that shows his speed, alititude and position.
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N428DC/history/20090112/0152Z/KSCD/KDTS/tracklog
The plane's alititude and speed stabilized at 3800ft and about 120 to 130 kts respectively (until it crashed) which is what I would guess he jumped at.
I can't imagine anyone doing this without some previous jump experience though. Did anyone find out if he was a USPA member?
One more thing that I noticed is that he landed Sylacauga Municipal and was on the ground for less than 11 minutes which is not enough time to stop and start a turbine so that means he would not have fueled. Maybe he dropped off a passenger that would have picked him up after he jumped?

Its plenty of time to have stopped and started a turbine when you don't care about prolonging the life of the engine. (the "20 minute rule" is more of a guideline for avoiding things like coking the seals in the hot end, etc, which leads to maintenance issues)

If you're not expecting for that PT-6 to be used ever again, shutting her down and then spooling her back up again in a short period of time is probably the last thing you're worried about. Then again, 11 minutes is barely enough time to shut down and restart a piston plane, too, so maybe he kept things running.

Don't forget: Flight Aware is often a little goofy as far as when planes really arrive and depart places. Maybe he never really stopped there, but Flight Aware thinks he did.
NIN
D-19617, AFF-I '19

registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNumSQL.asp?NNumbertxt=428DC&cmndfind.x=11&cmndfind.y=8

Also from the FAA:

********************************************************************************
** Report created 1/13/2009 Record 1 **
********************************************************************************

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 428DC Make/Model: PA46 Description: PA-46 Malibu, Malibu Mirage
Date: 01/12/2009 Time: 1420

Event Type: Accident Highest Injury: None Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: Destroyed

DESCRIPTION
AIRCRAFT REPORTED INFLIGHT EMERGENCY AND CRASHED INTO A SWAMPY AREA,
WREAKAGE LOCATED 1 MILE FROM MILTON, FL, REPORTS INDICATE THAT THE ONE
PERSON ON BOARD EXITED THE AIRCRAFT VIA PARACHUTE AND IS MISSING

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 0
# Crew: 1 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk: 1
# Pass: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

WEATHER: 0300Z 36011G18KT 10SM 120BKN 07/03

OTHER DATA
Activity: Pleasure Phase: Unknown Operation: OTHER

FAA FSDO: BIRMINGHAM, AL (SO09) Entry date: 01/12/2009

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

New information. This guy had this whole thing planned out better than I thought. Sure, the plane didn't crashed where he'd hoped, but he had a reason for getting out where he did:

Stashed red Yamaha
Later, another clue surfaced: Schrenker had parked a red Yamaha motorcycle with packed saddlebags in a storage unit about 7 miles away from Childersburg. By Monday, the motorcycle was gone and Schrenker's still-damp jeans, wet gray socks, hiking boots and a T-shirt were in a trash bin nearby.

Schrenker rented the unit on Saturday under the name Jay, paying cash, and told the manager that he would be back for his belongings, said Wanda Brooks, whose family owns the storage business.

"He said, 'I'll definitely be back on Monday. I'm going to Florida. He said he was from Indiana," Brooks said.

from this story: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28623108?GT1=43001

If he's smart, he'll be riding that cycle at night and hiding in the daytime. Hell, he may have stashed another vehicle somewhere else for all we know.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I was watching the whole story on CNN or something for a while and surprisingly they didn't harp on the skydiving part so much as the crazy scheme he set up. After he hopped out I guess he grabbed up a motorcycle that he had in storage and was waiting for him to "escape". Then his buddy gets on and says he totally believes that what he told ATC was what happened. :D Riiiiiight.

There's also a discussion of this going on in the pilot's related to the story, bbs, HERE

FWIW.

Yep, and if you follow a couple links in that forum, he was an accomplished stunt pilot. That would explain how he had a rig. Emergency bailout rig probably, but it would still work for this.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo