councilman24

Anything a skydiver CAN'T get out of?

In an airplane that is stalling/spinning/flopping around, regardless of how big the door is, or how close it is, it may not be possible to get out.

There are some tough but dead guys who know this. A few live ones too.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

I'm not talking about emergencies but for FUN! Again, plane has to survive (not necessarily intact) unless it's a single seater.

I was with a low time kind of pilot who had a 182 I never should have got on. We ended up nose down, upside down positive 2-3 g's coming out of a cloud that the idiot flew into. Couldn't have gotten out of that for anything just because of the g force. Luckily he did it at 7000' and managed to recover. Never was sure how. And never flew with him again.

And I had a pilot customer with an R4 that folded the wings over the canopy. Talked to ATC all the way to the ground. No way to use the parachute on his back.

Of course airplanes can become unexitable (?).
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Reminds me of a customer - aerobatic pilot - who used to won a CAP, French-built two-seater, low-wing aerobatic trainer.
One day I was inspecting his pilot emergency parachute and noticed some reddish brown spots.
"Oh! That's my blood." The he explained how a wing had broken off, whacked him in the head, then fell away. He was able to bail out just fine.

He and the insurance company blaimed the broken wing on clumsy student pilots and the previous owner (a flying school). He got a substantial cash settlement from the previous owner.

I think the t-1 has a high probability of death if you attempt to exit during flight. I recall talking to millertimeunc about this (he flies them) and he told me that the only door on those things is in front of the jet engines. Maybe he can chime in more about that aircraft.
Muff #5048

Is there anything a determined skydiver (read ANY skydiver) can't get out of?:S

Anything we can't (legality not considered) get out of?

Emergency or for fun?
I know that Robert Stanley, Bell test pilot on the P-59 program, once bailed out of a Bell Helicopter he was testing (that was tumbling) and got sliced wide open from the main rotor blade. When I asked him to show me the scar, he pulled up his shirt and it ran horizontally from his bellybutton around to his backbone.

Having related that, I think he is the only pilot I have ever heard of bailing from a chopper that survived. So I would say the helicopter is probably something we would not bail from successfully (in an emergency).

Just burning a hole in the sky.....

Do helicopters regularly tumble? Of course we jump out of them all the time. But not upside down.

Hmmm, do military helicopoter pilots where parachutes? I don't think I know. I don't think I've ever seen one with a parachute or harness.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Do helicopters regularly tumble? Of course we jump out of them all the time. But not upside down.

Hmmm, do military helicopoter pilots where parachutes? I don't think I know. I don't think I've ever seen one with a parachute or harness.

Ive heard of actual helicopter parachute devices..

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/3138348.html

Never seen one in action though

back in the day our dropzone operator thought they had found a larger aircraft for the cessna (x3) DZ. Everyone is excited as aircraft arrives Saturday morning. Ends up being a Piaggio twin engine thing with pusher props (propellers at rear of engine nacelles, behind the wing) and exit door is forward just behind the pilots :S

Lots of rationalising along the lines of you cant hit the prop as you drop away (yeh, just like people never hit the tail). They actually took a small load up and put out a static liner and a small group. I couldnt believe people would actually do it ( I am so conservative). In the end it was all a flop as the aircraft climbed like a dog and was running the engines over temperature in the process.

So, not quite something you couldnt get out of , just something you wouldnt get out of unless you didnt mind exiting in front of large rotating blades.

regards, Steve
the older I get...the better I was

A few Russian military, tank-busting helicopters have ejection seats, but they have to explosively remove the main rotors before ejecting.

Kamov.

:D:D:D

YESTERDAY...I was having a discussion about those with an 'Expert' on helicopters. He told me there was no such thing, I had to drag out my "Jane's". ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

In an airplane that is stalling/spinning/flopping around, regardless of how big the door is, or how close it is, it may not be possible to get out.

Gives me a mental image of being stuck to the wall of a spinner by the centrifugal forces - like the spinning barrel ride at the carnival where the bottom falls away.

Can everyone please stop screaming? I am trying to enjoy my death here!
Hehe, why does that sound like a fun ride?

Piper Cub jumps are fun!
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Gives me a mental image of being stuck to the wall of a spinner by the centrifugal forces - like the spinning barrel ride at the carnival where the bottom falls away.

Can everyone please stop screaming? I am trying to enjoy my death here!
Hehe, why does that sound like a fun ride?

Piper Cub jumps are fun!

Bust out a window and fire your reserve through it...if ya survive the extraction and the shredding of the reserve, go to the main. :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

>What about a Lear jet with the side engines on the rear end of the
>fuselage, right behind the door?

Not sure about the Lears, but the Challengers had a very convenient cargo door that opened inward right below the left engine intake.

The challenger's do have doors to the baggage areas. The compartment can be accessed in flight via the door in the back of the lav. The same goes for virtually all large business jets. The Gulfstream 3, 4, and 5 all have the same setup as do all of the later model Falcons and global express jets.
A good general rule for these aircraft is that if it is capable of trans Atlantic flight, the rear baggage door will be accessible from the cabin. Exceptions do exist eg citation x
Opening the door from the inside, that is another story entirely.
"If you don't like your job, you don't strike! You just go in every day, and do it really half assed. That's the American way."
- Homer Simpson

What about a Lear jet with the side engines on the rear end of the fuselage, right behind the door?

Rambo did it.

I think it was a Jet Commander or a Westwind that Rambo jumped from. I have serious doubts about an exit from a 20, or 30 series Learjet and possibly the 40 series (can't remember the baggage door situation) due to the outward opening clamshell type door and the immediate proximity to the leading edge of the wing if one were able to open said door, not to mention the port side engine waiting to swallow you if you did happen to clear the wing.
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.