swoopfly

Things you dont like about skydiving?

hey all

while i have never loved a sport so much in my life there are a few things about the sport that i dont like. I remember someone's interview in parachutist, and the question came up, what dont you like about the sport? The answer was.....The Egos. I found this to be a very spot on answer. I notice the smaller the canopies get the bigger the Egos and attitudes. Now for what i dont like about skydiving... the number one thing that drives me crazy. I really really hate it when someone talks about my skills (always someone with a lil more jumps than me, of course) and says oh yeah blah blah dont jump with him he cant fly. But the biggest kicker is they have never made one jump with me???? I can only contribute it to an ego problem? I fly just fine with a ball and other skilled people, how can someone really judge people that they have never not once seen skydive? well this is just one of my pet peeves.

So what is it out of this fantatstic sport that you do not like?

The way my body feels monday morning after a boogie.

"If you want to know what spending a weekend at a skydiving boogie feels like you need merely take all your money out of the bank and burn it. Then snort the ashes into your nose and mouth, throw yourself down the stairs a couple times and then drink until you pass out in the yard in a pile of dirty clothes.
You'll feel just like you spent the weekend boogieing, without all the hassle of traveling to a dropzone and doing that skydivin' and partying stuff."

- Zing

Drama.
Egos.
Haters.
People that refuse to listen to experienced jumpers.

Just out of curiosity - one of the most common things I see on space ball jumps is the lack of consideration of where the jump is being made. All flyers are competent in their free flying - but they take the space ball our over a populated area. >:([:/]

People who whine about not being invited on jumps instead of actually building skills and experience to get on those jumps.

;)

Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

Egos.

You're on a fourway team, good for you, that doesnt mean you can spot for me, and it doesnt mean you can kick me off the mock up when my friends and I are working on a new FF exit just so your team can mock up the same exit you always use. Drives me crazy. Oh, and if you jump a slow canopy and are on the rear risers the entire pattern don't get pissed when i take the inside "lane" and turn to final before you.
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

The list of dead friends.

Yup.

Of course, airtwardo has a special distinction. He's like a Highlander. Doomed to live forever and lose all friends over time. :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Im so new that i really love everything so far but i think egos will be the number one. I think some of the experienced divers really forget what it was like to be new to the sport, from the forums to the DZ. Dont get me wrong i have received a nice welcome but i am more of a reader than a poster. I really just want to learn as much as i can so i can be the best skydiver that I can be. I save all my important questions for my instructor

My favorite -
"I had to land downwind because I was too low to make my turn onto final" - after flying over almost an entire mile of landing area. AGAINST the landing pattern no less.
>:(:S

OMG! you mean there is more than one of these people out there? I got the "I had to land downwind just to make it back (to the main landing area)". (large open fields all around the dz that they could have safely landed in).:S

j
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.