AndreLB3

Question About Camoflauge Containers

Newb question here. Trying to figure out some of those unwritten skydiving rules.

I am beginning to look for my own gear, and have come across several containers with camo designs. For example:

Javelin Legacy Custom

I think they look really cool but I jump at Skydive San Diego and there are tons of military jumpers who are both training and getting in some fun jumps. I'm wondering if non-military fun jumpers with camo containers is against etiquette. Or am I just being silly?

I'm not really concerned with what other people think. I am just curious and quite bored at the moment. Thanks guys.

Hey! Asshole!

"WHAAAAAT?"

"Any body seen my rig? I set it down around here somewhere?"

"We think somebody took it on a bandit jump"

"Where to?"

"If we told ya' we'd have to kill ya'"

"Ummmmmm.........."
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

This sort of question came up awhile back in Bonfire

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=4126543;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

It might be interesting for you to read. Many differing opinions, but the gist is If you aren't pretending to be military, most won't take offence, or at least not too much :P

Just curious, what color jumpsuit are you planning on wearing with this?

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

No etiquette that I know of. As others have said, as long as you aren't pretending to be something you aren't or weren't then it shouldn't be a problem, other than the ribbing you will take along the lines of "Hey!! I can't see you!"

It will make you harder to see in freefall. I have a few white stripes on the back of mine to improve visibility.

Maybe go with the Pink Camo for better visibility?? :)

Otherwise, the digital is kind of overdone. If you want camo, but don't want to look like a wannabe, go with one of the other camo patterns. Gail from Velocity was on here looking for some Tiger Stripe camo a while back.
That wouldn't look like everyone else.

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Thanks for that. That USMC shirt story was exactly what I was getting at. As for the color jumpsuit, probably black. The chances of me going camo container are slim to none, especially since I'm buying used, but I was just curious. Thanks everyone for your opinions.

>I think they look really cool but I jump at Skydive San Diego and there are tons of
>military jumpers who are both training and getting in some fun jumps.

No problem getting camo if you like it but as you're probably aware, most of the military freefall students jump gray rigs, and most of the staff rigs are blue.

There's a TI at my DZ that got a multi-cam jumpsuit made (with shoulder pads none the less :D), sewed a tan American flag to the shoulder (at least he faced it the right way!) and then sewed some air force unit patches to the legs. Cold mornings he wears a Navy SEAL beanie (with the trident). Got a wing suit with the old air force logos on the sides and talks about it being classified. Jumps with MARPAT, ACU and BDU pants as well.

He never spent a minute in the military, the Air Force patches were his dads.

I think he's a douche, and it pains me when the students ask if they're going with the 'Army guy' instructor... he's a tool... don't be THAT guy and I think you'll be fine.;)

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I'm in the military and I don't see any problem on civilians using camo rigs or pants, or whatever.
If some military guy has something to say I'd find it silly! :-)
Sometime I wear a SEAL's t shirt but I don't pretend to be a SEAL, right?
Buy whatever you like bro and have fun!
The mind is like a parachute: If you don't open it, it doesn't work.

I wear cammo for a living and I think it's hideous, but that's just me. I don't want anything in any cammo pattern other actual uniforms and gear that I wear but that doesn't mean I frown on anyone else using it.

I figure not everyone can be in the military, for whatever reason, in fact less than 10% of the entire country EVER serves and only a fraction of a percent of the country is serving at any given time. Those are the latest stats but that is usually how it goes.

My point is more power to ya, and everybody else that likes camouflage. I think it is disgusting on a rig but we can totally agree to disagree!! :-)

I figure not everyone can be in the military, for whatever reason, in fact less than 10% of the entire country EVER serves and only a fraction of a percent of the country is serving at any given time.

Right. Which is why those who DO serve are proud of their service, and also somewhat protective of the status that goes with it. They don't like pretenders who try and garner that same status, without having actually paid the price to earn it.

A camo rig is fine and is not seen as someone being an armchair soldier. But you don't want to get too carried away with it either.

one of mine was inspired by Team Xaos rigs, a mix of colours and camo.

It is Black, Woodland camo and some red.

Looks nice in my opinion, but wouldn't want too many people to copy it :P

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM