tobyiscool1982

need advice please

Got a question,, I haven't jumped in about six years im almost thirty now but I did somewhere between 700 and a thousand jumps between the ages of 19 to 23 I was just getting into cross braced canopies when I stopped jumping, I have the majority of my jumps on 150 stilleto, I have around 100 or so jumps on crossfires between 103 and 115 and around 20 on xaos 21 cell 90 sq after a six year layoff what size of canopy should I come back with?????
We can't all be smart....

... i dont want to buy or trade a main in a few months after getting back jumping

Then be satisfied with nice, easy, non dramatic landings at a conservative WL that a 150 provides (WL 1.2). Is that compatible with Toby being cool per your user name?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I know that I would feel fine under a 150 but I know after 20 jumps or so that I'll be hookin the thing over at 300 ft too am I crazy for wanting to get back in the sport with a canopy that I'll stick with for a few hundred jumps,,, say a 103 crossfire or a 107 katana that's a far cry from 90 xaos

I know that I would feel fine under a 150 but I know after 20 jumps or so that I'll be hookin the thing over at 300 ft too am I crazy for wanting to get back in the sport with a canopy that I'll stick with for a few hundred jumps,,, say a 103 crossfire or a 107 katana that's a far cry from 90 xaos

Getting right back into things after 6 years with a 1.8 WL. What could possibly go wrong with that? Have at it.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

say a 103 crossfire or a 107 katana that's a far cry from 90 xaos

And I suspect it might be a loooong and louuud cry after femuring in? Such a small and aggressive canopy after a break of six years is just like switching from a bicycle to a 250 horsepower racing motorbike. But if you go for a 107 Katana, do not forget to mount a small video cam (better two) on your helmet. :S

Seriously: Go for a canopy that you can ride in a calm conservative way but which also allows for looong swoop and sporty turns. How about a 149 Safire2 - you can trade it easily after 100 or 200 jumps, that one sells like sliced bread. Maybe a 139er after several dozens of training jumps on a hired canopy/rig but I wouldn't go any smaller.
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

thats not the advice i was looking for,,, first your math is a bit off 1.8 wl would put me under a sub 100 and dont be rude because im still interested in jumping smaller canopies, i dont want to be unsafe either. thanks for the so called advice but i think i will listen to someone who could actually jump a smaller canopy,,, not everyone takes 31 years to reach the ability to tell someone what they themselves couldnt do

thats not the advice i was looking for,,,

Well then, there you go. - Why even bother coming on here and even asking in the 1st place? You already know what you are looking for. - Have at it. ...and don't forget the GoPro. Your kind of coolness, Tobyiscool, is definitely what we all now want (and probably need - you just need to clearly, teach us) to see!

Rock-on, dude.
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

thats not the advice i was looking for,,, first your math is a bit off 1.8 wl would put me under a sub 100 and dont be rude because im still interested in jumping smaller canopies, i dont want to be unsafe either. thanks for the so called advice but i think i will listen to someone who could actually jump a smaller canopy,,, not everyone takes 31 years to reach the ability to tell someone what they themselves couldnt do

Ummm...

If you wanted the advice that you were "looking for", why did you come here?

You ask "Am I crazy for wanting to start off with a 103 Xfire or 107 Katana" and then call those who say "Yes" rude.

And how do you figure that "the math is off a bit"?

155 no gear is 180 or a little more fully geared up. Under a 103 at exit weight of 180 is right about 1.8:1

And 1.8:1 after a long layoff is not a real good idea.

And no, I don't jump a small canopy either.
But I know what's smart and what's not.

Saying that you want to make a choice to go small simply because you don't want to go through the process of changing canopies doesn't fit in my definition of "smart".

It's your choice, but if you decide to go small right away, like others have said, make sure you get video.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

You guys are killing me when I left I was jumping sub 100 and learning a lot I know that six years is a long time,, the advice I seek is what kind of canopy and size I should come back to, I'm interested in small canopies ie 103 to 107 but after a six year layoff I wouldn't go there for a while, I went from Doing a thousand jumps in four years to nothing in the last six. I don't want to be criticized for wanting to jump smaller canopies that I could handle fine when I left,, I want to start jumping a 150 again to start but that's where I need advice at,, realistically how long and how many jumps would be kosher to get to where I want to be

...how many jumps would be kosher to get to where I want to be

Well, going by your posts, somewhere around the range of....5-6

People here are telling where you might need to be.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

thats not the advice i was looking for,,, first your math is a bit off 1.8 wl would put me under a sub 100

No, if you weigh 155, then adding 30 pounds of gear is reasonable. That puts you at just under 1.8 WL with the canopy choices you mentioned.

not everyone takes 31 years to reach the ability to tell someone what they themselves couldnt do

Not everyone has the desire to swoop. That doesn't mean I couldn't, just that I don't want to. Big difference that you apparently don't understand. After more than 3 decades of jumping (albeit at a slow overall rate), I can still walk without a limp.

As a guy who broke himself pretty good on a conservative canopy last summer, let me suggest that you buy yourself a Sabre 2 or Stiletto 170 and make 100 jumps on it until you are really current. Then think about downsizing to a high performance (l150 sq ft) canopy. There is no hurry to down size and a mistake can be catastrophic. Really? No one gives shit what size canopy you are flying, IMO. So safe is best.
Charlie Gittins, 540-327-2208
AFF-I, Sigma TI, IAD-I
MEI, CFI-I, Senior Rigger
Former DZO, Blue Ridge Skydiving Adventures

Let's do the math.....
Save $2000 buying a 100-120 sq ft canopy right off the bat.
Spend $20,000 (or $200,000 or more) on medical bills/no work.
Maybe never walk again if you aren't dead.
Sounds pretty COOL to me, but what do I know?
I've been in the sport 20 years and haven't learned how to fly a really cool canopy.
Guess I just don't have what it takes......
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

not trying to be rude or sarcastic and I will prob get flammed on, but oh well, here are my thoughts. As a 34 yr old guy that flies a highly loaded canopy and started jumping about the time you stopped. Your reaction times are gonna be a little slower at 30 then they were at 23. Having said that, do buy a large canopy to start out, rent/borrow gear for 20-30 jumps to get a feel for flying again. Then demo some canopies to get you into the range that you want to be in. You are going to be rusty coming back into the sport, but having flown H/P canopies before will help. Take it slow and try not to break yourself. Oh ya don't forget your camera and make sure you get yourself a SoFPiDaRF shirt. Hope this helps, have fun and fly fast

Let's do the math.....
Save $2000 buying a 100-120 sq ft canopy right off the bat.
Spend $20,000 (or $200,000 or more) on medical bills/no work.
Maybe never walk again if you aren't dead.
Sounds pretty COOL to me, but what do I know?
I've been in the sport 20 years and haven't learned how to fly a really cool canopy.
Guess I just don't have what it takes.....

Here's the PM I got from tobyiscool1982..
"Some advice,,, if I wanted to talk to an asshole is bend over by a mirror thanks for all the vast knowledge that it took you 20 years to gain"

My vast knowledge tells me that too many people have died, lost the ability to walk, or at the very least have been badly broken by what you seem to want to do. I just figured that maybe looking at the $$$ side rather than the common sense side might give you a clue.....

Why bother, those "mad skilz" kids never listen anyway.
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

... but what do I know?
Guess I just don't have what it takes......

Stilettos will always be cool canopies. They're not the swoop machines that some people may be looking for these days, but they are still high performance canopies and a lot of fun to fly.