1 1
billvon

Chaos in the GOP

35 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Too many of them seem to be able to be happy only if they know who is less happy, so they can compare. Making other people unhappy is one way to get there. Pretty stupid one, too, especially if it makes you less happy, too.

So in other words, you're not a fan of equity of outcome?

Edited by Coreece

1 hour ago, lippy said:
2 hours ago, Coreece said:

So in other words, you're not a fan of equity of outcome?

Please elaborate 

I miss the tongue in cheek emoji on the old format.  I'm just saying that everyone ends up equally miserable even if someone is less miserable at the expense of another's happiness.  I don't remember ever discussing it here - and I'm certainly no expert, but if we can all agree that equity of opportunity is more desirable than equity of outcome, then that's a good start I guess.

50 minutes ago, Coreece said:

I miss the tongue in cheek emoji on the old format.  I'm just saying that everyone ends up equally miserable even if someone is less miserable at the expense of another's happiness.  I don't remember ever discussing it here - and I'm certainly no expert, but if we can all agree that equity of opportunity is more desirable than equity of outcome, then that's a good start I guess.

I’ve not heard the term ‘equity of opportunity’.  At face value I’d take it to mean that all have equal opportunity, which is I-fucking-deal-istic. Twould be great twer it the case, but unfortunately that’s not the America I chose to immigrate to. 

Your response to Wendy’s post makes me think you’re in favor of dragging down those that you perceive to have better opportunities, in the interest of ‘equal opportunities’. *****

*****FFS Jakee, don’t spend the next two days asking me to be a Coreece interpreter. 

Edited by lippy

23 minutes ago, Coreece said:

if we can all agree that equity of opportunity is more desirable than equity of outcome, then that's a good start I guess.

I agree that equity of opportunity is awesome and is worth working towards.  It's a step on the road to equity of outcome.

But abandoning equity of outcome is a mistake.  It means eliminating handicapped parking spaces - because 'equity of opportunity' means everyone has the same opportunity to park close, as opposed to "equity of outcome" which means that people who can't walk (or roll) very far get to go shopping too.  It means eliminating veteran's programs, because everyone should have the same opportunity to get healthcare and education and housing.  It means eliminating benefits for the deaf, the blind, and the disabled, because why should they get anything more than that same opportunities everyone else gets?

I would also point out that often this goes too far, and should not mean (for example) that the dumb should make the same salaries as the smart, or the weak should get the same salaries that top athletes get.  Such attempts do far more harm than good.

There is a balance that has to be maintained, and we're not there yet.

4 hours ago, lippy said:

*****FFS Jakee, don’t spend the next two days asking me to be a Coreece interpreter. 

Why would I? You didn’t jump into a conversation I was having with him to say what you thought a comment he made to me meant.

13 hours ago, wmw999 said:

Too many of them seem to be able to be happy only if they know who is less happy, so they can compare. Making other people unhappy is one way to get there. Pretty stupid one, too, especially if it makes you less happy, too.

Wendy P.

That's certainly a part of it.

But don't forget that there are people who would more or less shoot themselves in the face if it meant that 'those people' were denied something.

Universal healthcare is the best example I can think of.

The idiots would rather risk going completely broke due to medical bills rather than see 'those people' get a chance a decent care.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Coreece said:

I'm just saying that everyone ends up equally miserable even if someone is less miserable at the expense of another's happiness.  I don't remember ever discussing it here - and I'm certainly no expert, but if we can all agree that equity of opportunity is more desirable than equity of outcome, then that's a good start I guess.

No thanks, I'm happy not being a Christian.

Edited by JoeWeber
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

But don't forget that there are people who would more or less shoot themselves in the face if it meant that 'those people' were denied something.

A year or two ago I read the book The Sum of Us, about what racism costs (and documentably has cost) everyone in America. Things like lower health overall because factories were built in poorer neighborhoods, even though better air cleaning technology was already available. Quite good

Wendy P.

7 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

A year or two ago I read the book The Sum of Us, about what racism costs (and documentably has cost) everyone in America. Things like lower health overall because factories were built in poorer neighborhoods, even though better air cleaning technology was already available. Quite good

Wendy P.

U.S. life expectancy at birth fell by 2.4 years between 2019 and 2021 – from 78.8 to 76.4.

In comparable countries, the average life expectancy fell only 0.3 years – from 82.6 to 82.3.

For both men and women the US life expectancy is the lowest of any OECD nation.

We rank behind places like Cuba

Why the discrepancy?  Healthcare, guns.

And we can thank "conservatives"  for that, including most recently anti-COVID-vaxxers.

1 hour ago, kallend said:

U.S. life expectancy at birth fell by 2.4 years between 2019 and 2021 – from 78.8 to 76.4.

In comparable countries, the average life expectancy fell only 0.3 years – from 82.6 to 82.3.

And we can thank "conservatives"  for that, including most recently anti-COVID-vaxxers.

but.... FREEDOM!!

5 hours ago, kallend said:

Hi John,

Well, maybe that is a good thing.

Oh, and Darwin was right.

Jerry Baumchen

1 minute ago, Slim King said:

As an independent it is obvious that the Republicans and the Democrats have traitors against the USA in their ranks....

As a person with eyes that can read the words you post here, it is obvious that you’ve got some balls to try to suggest that you’re an independent. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, lippy said:

As a person with eyes that can read the words you post here, it is obvious that you’ve got some balls to try to suggest that you’re an independent. 

No really.  He's going to vote for Kennedy because he's an . . . independent.  Yeah, that's the ticket.  All his comrades drooks friends are always saying “wow he’s so independent, not at all biased by what he is paid to do.  Which is NOT trolling at ALL!”

2 hours ago, Slim King said:

I'm voting for Kennedy but I'm certainly not a democrat.... 

Neither is he, and no you’re not. You’re obviously voting for Trump. You love everything he does and refuse to say a single bad thing about him.

2 hours ago, Slim King said:

Do you thin Joe is more popular than Kennedy right now?

Yes.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, kallend said:

I suppose other OECD nations don't have overdoses.:/

Or any reference to the number of comparative death numbers, which I thought was the intent.

I still have yet to see anyone commit a mass overdose in a public environment such as a school.

American gun culture, ignorance, and freedumbs. yay. 

12 hours ago, lippy said:

Famous words uttered by all true republicans. No we're not RINO's were independents! We think for ourselves and we have critical, analytical minds!

You may want attribute statements and representations like that to other physical factors, or shortcomings other than balls.

Edited by Phil1111

36 minutes ago, normiss said:

Or any reference to the number of comparative death numbers, which I thought was the intent.

I still have yet to see anyone commit a mass overdose in a public environment such as a school.

American gun culture, ignorance, and freedumbs. yay. 

Homicides are comparatively constant only jumping 30%.  Overdoses have tripled (300%) since 2018 30k to over 100k.  In the same time frame as the life expectancy decline.  While homicides have an effect it's not comparable to overdoses.   Homicides only went from about 15k in 2017  to 20k in 2020. 

If you throw in an extra 70k 22 year olds dying by overdose in their mom's bathroom to the 2.7 million yearly deaths that would lower the life expectancy almost 3%.