1 1
billvon

Chaos in the GOP

26 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

I'm surprised Santos isn't getting any votes.

Wendy P.

Or Trump!

Meanwhile things may be getting a little sticky for Gym:

"Lawsuit against OSU in sexual abuse scandal could result in deposition for Speaker candidate Jordan"

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/lawsuit-against-osu-sexual-abuse-scandal-could-result-deposition-speaker-candidate-jordan

• Like 1

And Gym Jordan tries again!  He went around rallying for support, gladhanding representatives, making promises etc.  Then they took another vote.  And this time he got . . . even fewer votes than he did the first time around.  He got 200 the first time, 199 this time.

What an effective leader!

From a republican representative: "I think that somebody advising him thought it was a good idea to try to shine a spotlight on us and to try to shame us on the floor. That tactic obviously didn't work. It probably dug some members in stronger than they would have been a couple of days ago."

George Santos is looking better and better.

2 minutes ago, billvon said:

And Gym Jordan tries again!  He went around rallying for support, gladhanding representatives, making promises etc.  Then they took another vote.  And this time he got . . . even fewer votes than he did the first time around.  He got 200 the first time, 199 this time.

What an effective leader!

From a republican representative: "I think that somebody advising him thought it was a good idea to try to shine a spotlight on us and to try to shame us on the floor. That tactic obviously didn't work. It probably dug some members in stronger than they would have been a couple of days ago."

George Santos is looking better and better.

Just plays into Jordan's ultimate goal of showing how democracy is too difficult and autocracy is the way to go.

An actual quote from Rep. Nicole Malliotakis (R-NY):  republicans are acting “very childish, that people are just throwing out random names.  Like, this is serious. This is the United States Congress,. We’re trying to elect a speaker, and you’re just like throwing out, like, random names of people who are not running or are not even members of the House.”

Like totally!

• Like 3

More and more republicans are saying "just use McHenry" since he is the interim speaker.  Rep. Anthony D'Esposito agreed, saying that “I want to see someone be a speaker.”

Unfortunately this flies in the face of the US Constitution, which states that "The House of Representatives shall chuse their Speaker" - and thus a speaker who is appointed rather than chosen is not a valid speaker.

If they DO want to choose a speaker, they could change the rules so that the person with the most votes wins.  Right now that would be . . . . Hakeem Jeffries.

(And of course there's the problem of how you change the rules without a functioning House of Representatives.)

7 hours ago, billvon said:

More and more republicans are saying "just use McHenry" since he is the interim speaker.  Rep. Anthony D'Esposito agreed, saying that “I want to see someone be a speaker.”

Unfortunately this flies in the face of the US Constitution, which states that "The House of Representatives shall chuse their Speaker" - and thus a speaker who is appointed rather than chosen is not a valid speaker...

Well, they could nominate him, hold a vote and elect him (I have zero clue how 'electable" he is), then 'take care of business.
Prevent the shutdown, get aid to Ukraine, hold more hearings on Hilary's e-mails & Benghazi.

Then, once they get some breathing room,  have Gym Jordan move to remove him. 

Have the Rs make history again by removing TWO speakers in the same year.

Unfortunately the solution that stares in the face of anyone with more than half a brain is not apparent to members of the Raving Right of the GOP.

And the US Constitution, which worked pretty well for over 200 years (with a brief interlude for  a civil war), does not appear capable of dealing with totally unhinged legislators.

14 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Well, they could nominate him, hold a vote and elect him (I have zero clue how 'electable" he is), then 'take care of business.
Prevent the shutdown, get aid to Ukraine, hold more hearings on Hilary's e-mails & Benghazi.

Right.   But again, unless he can get 217 votes, then that doesn't work. 

2 hours ago, kallend said:

Looks like Jordan is stepping aside (for the time being) as enough of his colleagues (and I use that term loosely) have told him "no way".

Not so fast!  Just a few moments ago he said this: "I'm still running for speaker, and I plan to go to the floor and get the votes and win this race."

The clown show will continue.

So they had this three hour meeting with much shouting and cursing.  At one point Gaetz stood up and was shouting.  McCarthy told him to sit down; he refused.  Rep. Mike Bost then started cursing him out - he "got all emotional and ugly and was cussing him . . telling him it’s all his fault."

They finally came out of the meeting with the decision to try to get Jordan the seat again.  A reporter asked Rep. Massie what the next steps were, and Massie said that republicans agreed there were three things Jordan had to do before they could call another vote:

1. speak to the 22 GOP members who voted against him
2. ask McCarthy to nominate him for speaker
3. call his wife

I am picturing his wife calling him over and over and getting voicemail, and then her calling as many representatives as she could and telling them "you tell that bastard to call me or the only thing he's going to be speaker of is the LIVING ROOM COUCH!"

24 minutes ago, Slim King said:

Luffy King of the Pirates!!!! I love that guy. The Dems just go with what their leaders tell them with no discussion or debate. (Biden debates no one these days) Mindlessly....The Repubs are weeding out the Rinos....

Bless

57 minutes ago, lippy said:

That's the kind of spin that'll make a fella dizzy

That's the kinda spin you need to be a republican these days.  Uncontrollable chaos is planned order!  War is peace!  People found guilty of fraud are honest!  Warming is cooling!  Hate is tough love!  Insurrections are just tourists!

Swing and a miss.  Shouldn't it be "three strikes and you're out"?

I wish some Republican who isn't MAGA-crazy would throw their hat in the ring.  Someone who could get votes from both sides, enough to total 217.  It would have to be someone who isn't planning on running for re-election though, unfortunately.  Too bad Mitt Romney is in the Senate.  It says a lot that for Republicans it's career suicide to try to work across the aisle. 

• Like 2