1 1
kallend

Yet another botched execution

8 hours ago, kallend said:

https://www.npr.org/2022/11/21/1138357929/alabama-executions-pause-lethal-injection

It's time to end this cruel farce once and for all.

Maybe a bus ticket to Chicago would be more successful. It's the same reason you can't get a decent hoagy at Jersey Mike's: no one really wants the job. Ironically, all of the truly qualified candidates are being put to death, or close, when maybe they should be offered jobs.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, billvon said:

How would Jesus execute people?

I wonder if the imaginary man would find certain people beyond redemption and forgiveness? 

My personal lord and savior the flying spaghetti monster is against all executions except for mass murderers. No real question about guilt once you rule out an insanity defense. He doesn't redeem anyone or forgive sins, people can do that themselves, but he just happens to think that someone who perpetrates a mass causality isn't going to turn their lives around.

Edited by DougH
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DougH said:

I wonder if the imaginary man would find certain people beyond redemption and forgiveness? 

My personal lord and savior the flying spaghetti monster is against all executions except for mass murderers. No real question about guilt once you rule out an insanity defense. He doesn't redeem anyone or forgive sins, people can do that themselves, but he just happens to think that someone who perpetrates a mass causality isn't going to turn their lives around.

Pastafarianism is the way and the light.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DougH said:

Interesting to consider Jesus hanging someone because of how evil they were, then accepting him into Heaven as one of the saved.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, kallend said:

https://www.npr.org/2022/11/21/1138357929/alabama-executions-pause-lethal-injection

Hi John,

For almost all of my life I have been opposed to capital punishment.

A couple of lifetimes ago, when I was in Basic Training, SSGT Don A. Willocks once told us that he thought a sentence of life in prison was worse that being executed.  I had to give that some thought.

Some time ago, we had a fairly consistent poster on here, Andy9o8 who was opposed to capital punishment with an exemption that if you killed or had someone killed, while you were incarcerated, you could be put to death.  I had to give that some thought also.

I decided to agree with Andy9o8. *

Jerry Baumchen

*  I wish he were still posting here, as he was an attorney & always gave us well thought out input.  As do a few others on here.

PS)  IMO The Innocence Project has provided more than sufficient evidence to eliminate this barbaric practice.

Innocence Project - Help us put an end to wrongful convictions!

Innocence Project - Wikipedia

Edited by JerryBaumchen
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, billvon said:

Interesting to consider Jesus hanging someone because of how evil they were, then accepting him into Heaven as one of the saved.

I was thinking something more Constantine ala Keanu. He hangs them in a dramatic fashion and they get sent straight to this mythical hell that the priest are always threating us with.

Just now, DougH said:

I was thinking something more Constantine ala Keanu. He hangs them in a dramatic fashion and they get sent straight to this mythical hell that the priest are always threating us with.

Hi Doug,

Are there 72 female virgins there?

Some of us want to know.  Or, as I always say:  The Glass is Half Full.

Jerry Baumchen

Execution was a quick and easy way for nomadic tribes to get rid of their most troublesome tribe members. Consider that nomadic tribes were not wealthy enough to feed and house an idle member. Execution had the secondary benefit of providing emotional "closure" for victims' families.

Nowadays, wealthy nations can afford the $30,000. to $50,000. per cost of lifetime imprisonment. There are a few criminals too violent to ever be allowed back out in main stream society.

18 hours ago, grimmie said:

How Christian of you.

Romans 13 Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God. Therefore whoever resists the authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will [a]bring judgment on themselves. For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to evil. Do you want to be unafraid of the authority? Do what is good, and you will have praise from the same. For he is God’s minister to you for good. But if you do evil, be afraid; for he does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God’s minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil. Therefore you must be subject, not only because of wrath but also for conscience’ sake.

Thoughout the Bible's history, examples of human death abound.

Edited by RonD1120
To add personal comment

17 hours ago, billvon said:

How would Jesus execute people?

The Way I understand, Jesus is the path for redemption which follows justice first decreed by appeopriate authority. Death row inmates are given a last chance.

Life or consciousness is eternal. Where it resides is the question.

When God's judgment begins, see Revelation, 50% of the earth's population will be wiped out.

On 11/21/2022 at 10:19 PM, kallend said:

Agreed, using 100% nitrogen for, say, 1 hour is much more effective.  Anyone who has been in a high altitude chamber can attest that the loss of consciousness one experiences due to extreme hypoxia is painless.

Unlike a gas chamber, which uses cyanide binding to inhibit hemoglobin, a nitrogen chamber simply removes oxygen from the equation.  People who have succumbed to entering a nitrogen environment generally die before they realize what's happening.

The whole idea of execution as 'punishment' is flawed.  There are people who are a threat to anyone around them, regardless of where they are.  Rather than having them rape, maim and murder such prisoners as are slated to rejoin society, removing them from the equation in a humane fashion is much more beneficial overall.

'Lethal injection' is a poor approach - unless it amounts to an intercranial injection of 230 grains of lead, and oxygen deprivation does not require earplugs.

BSBD,

Winsor

• Like 1

It is amazing that in the 21st century, we still have people so naive as to believe there is no such thing as:

1. Corrupt law enforcement. (Chicago PD Det Reynaldo Guevara framed 51 people for murder).

2. Corrupt prosecutors.

3. Charlatans posing as "forensic experts". (see "bite mark analysis" and "polygraph").

• Like 1