1 1
JoeWeber

Gas prices are crazy

(edited)
4 hours ago, Slim King said:

Hindsight is 20/20. So let's look back. The first thing Russia did was attack about 20 or 30 Bio-labs throughout the country as they were moving into the areas where the people of Ukraine had voted for independence from the worlds most corrupt government. 

You are so far down the rabbit hole it’s not even worth unpicking any of that. You just keep being a good little establishment mouthpiece. 

Ah fuck it - two things. Just because Putin says Ukraine is making bioweapons, why do automatically believe him?

And if Ukraine is the worlds most corrupt government, if they’re embezzling all the western support, why are they winning against a far superior force? Ukraine was corrupt, that’s why they lost Crimea without a fight and areas of the Donbas before that. Russia is corrupt, that’s why their army doesn’t work. Since Crimea and at the wests urging successive Ukrainian governments have made huge strides cleaning up the country and that’s why they’re now able to fight effectively.

Edited by jakee

21 hours ago, Slim King said:

The real planet ....The Euro is CRASHING!!!! Inflation is destroying the dollar.

If you go ahead and look up the charts for the Dollar against pretty much every other currency you can see the trend: Pick the British Pound, the Yen, the Swiss Franks the Chinese Yuan and on and on: Against ALL of them, the dollar is rising, similarly as against the Euro.
The only larger block of currencies agains t which it is not significantly rising are some central and south-American currencies. I assume this is because these are artificially pegged to the Dollar.
So now to the Ruble: 

20 hours ago, wmw999 said:

Here's one I found on tradingview.com (https://www.tradingview.com/symbols/USDRUB/)

image.png.548f6ba5be26b188561c399ce8a83264.png

Wendy P.

As the Ruble to Dollar chart clearly doesn't match any other chart, it is obvious that it has nothing to do with the performance of the Dollar, but everything with the Ruble. The completely strange bump and then fall (or vice versa, if seen from the Ruble's perspective) should also tell you that this is not a normal currency fluctuation but completely out of the ordinary and influenced by very specific events. Without expert knowledge and deep economic research (which would be necessary to completely understand it) it seems obvious that this is related first to sanctions (the bump), and second to extreme government controls (the decrease after the bump) as well as the energy market.
Given what I gather from your posts, I cannot possibly imagine that you are advocating for government controls, as Russia implemented them. That would go 100% against what I think you stand for in this country. It also makes it completely useless to their citizens, that the Ruble is up, because they are prevented from cashing in on this, because they are not allowed to convert significant amounts of their Rubles into any other currency, or take them out of the country.

Lastly: It is really annoying that people use things like "the exchange value of our currency" (and many other statistics, such as "national debt", etc.) as if it they were sports scores and as if "higher" means better, without understanding the least bit of what these numbers mean. There is absolutely nothing that says that a "strong currency" (as good as this SOUNDS, when you say it like this) is actually better for individuals who use the currency, than a "weak one". There are a number of advantages and disadvantages to each, and at different times a "strong" or "weak" strategy may be preferable--and of course it completely depends on the individual, if it helps or hurts (are you an importer or exporter of goods/services, are you doing ANY international business at all, are you traveling to other countries, etc., etc.--if you complain about the "trade deficit"--another completely misunderstood number, by the way--you should be ECSTATIC whenever the Dollar is weak against other currencies, as this will help to reduce said deficit) It is completely useless to look at these charts and then assume because our currency is up, we are "winning" ("USA, USA, USA!!!!") That is the most childish way to view currency fluctuations. 

• Like 1

(edited)
39 minutes ago, mbohu said:

As the Ruble to Dollar chart clearly doesn't match any other chart, it is obvious that it has nothing to do with the performance of the Dollar, but everything with the Ruble. The completely strange bump and then fall (or vice versa, if seen from the Ruble's perspective) should also tell you that this is not a normal currency fluctuation but completely out of the ordinary and influenced by very specific events. Without expert knowledge and deep economic research (which would be necessary to completely understand it) it seems obvious that this is related first to sanctions (the bump), and second to extreme government controls (the decrease after the bump) as well as the energy market.

Ah ok, I had been wondering about that odd over-recovery from the initial crash. Wasted on the intended recipient, but thanks for explaining.

Edited by jakee
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Slim King said:

Gas Prices are crazy High ... That's not an assumption.

Yes, it is - and it's also wrong.  It was higher in 2008 than it is now.   It was higher in 2011.  It was higher in 2012.  It was higher in 2014.

Do you ever tire of being wrong?  I mean it would be so easy to check this stuff before you post.  Just turn off Tucker Carlson for, like, ten seconds and do a simple search.

gas_pirces.JPG

13 hours ago, Slim King said:

It was YOUR SIDE that kept saying Ukraine was the most corrupt country around.

It was one of them - in large part because of the ongoing Russian campaign of infiltration, espionage, bribery and influence peddling. Since that campaign paid off with Russia marching into Crimea and parts of the Donbas unopposed Ukraine has changed massively - starting with overthrowing a corrupted pro-Russian President. They had to, because they knew this was coming.

4 hours ago, Slim King said:

That's just BS.....Here are the real numbers.... AAA  ... Why do you lie? Current numbers from 10/8/22.. 

That is a good point. Gas prices could never change so much in two whole months.

Does it do what you need it to do? Other than say “fuck you take that,” that is? If so, it’s a good choice. If the main reason to own it is the statement, then you’re paying good money for others’ space in your head.

Wendy P. 

6 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Does it do what you need it to do? Other than say “fuck you take that,” that is? If so, it’s a good choice. If the main reason to own it is the statement, then you’re paying good money for others’ space in your head.

Wendy P. 

For those who need their ego stroked.

1 hour ago, wmw999 said:

Wendy P. 

What is it with you? Just when I am thinking you are being too touchy feely again you launch a Javelin attack. No matter, nicely done. Thanks.

(edited)
9 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

What is it with you? Just when I am thinking you are being too touchy feely again you launch a Javelin attack. No matter, nicely done. Thanks.

She just wanted everyone to know that she can dress up to the 10s for a Saturday night gala. Then mix it up in the mud with the boys on Sunday.

Edited by Phil1111

14 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Oh, I didn't know that. So good on you then. I thought it was the MB version of a suburban.

It is.
It has a three liter turbocharged straight six assisted by a 48 volt hybrid system.  Does zero to sixty in under six seconds and can tow 8000+ lbs.

6 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

It is.
It has a three liter turbocharged straight six assisted by a 48 volt hybrid system.  Does zero to sixty in under six seconds and can tow 8000+ lbs.

Congratulations. All sounds like fun. Personally the first trip to the dealership post expiration of the warranty. Would require me to have my cardiologist walk me arm in arm.

9 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Congratulations. All sounds like fun. Personally the first trip to the dealership post expiration of the warranty. Would require me to have my cardiologist walk me arm in arm.

You don’t have to wait that long, just the cost of scheduled maintenance can be heart attack inducing.

14 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

You don’t have to wait that long, just the cost of scheduled maintenance can be heart attack inducing.

You have to think positive. When you and your wife are driving down the road. Other motorists look at you with envy and respect.