Germany: $7.65

Cheapest gas on the planet:
Venezuela - $0.08
Libya: $0.12
Iran: $0.20
Syria: $1.08
Algeria: $1.19
Kuwait: $1.29

Clearly, Biden and the Democrats are the reason for $.4.50 a gallon gas (yes, down from 5 Bucks) in America. Wait! That doesn't fit the narrative. Mods, please delete my post.

Average price Canada in USD for US gallon $5.97

Canada exports about 6.7 million barrels a day. About 1/2 to the US.

The worldwide wholesale price of gas is $3.26 a gallon.

China $5.28 a gallon, Russia $3.22 both USD per US gallon

Of all the countries listed above and in Joe's lists. Only Canada and Norway are oil exporters with retail gas prices above wholesale

For conservatives who have a difficult time understanding. Most countries tax gas to encourage conservation, protect the environment and use the proceeds to fund social programs.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Most expensive gas on the planet:

Hong Kong: $11.35
Norway: $10.22
Denmark: $10.04
Finland: $10.08
Greece: $9.49
Netherlands: $9.33
United Kingdom: $8.39
Spain: $8.35
France: $8.27
Italy: $8.01
Israel: $7.94
Germany: $7.65

Cheapest gas on the planet:
Venezuela - $0.08
Libya: $0.12
Iran: $0.20
Syria: $1.08
Algeria: $1.19
Kuwait: $1.29

Clearly, Biden and the Democrats are the reason for $.4.50 a gallon gas (yes, down from 5 Bucks) in America. Wait! That doesn't fit the narrative. Mods, please delete my post.

It looks like the producers of oil pay around a dollar a gallon. As one of the world’s largest oil producers we should be more in line with Russia  and Saudi Arabia.  I blame Biden.;P

• Like 1

A bit of good news:

Almost a million EVs were sold in June alone worldwide.  That is about a million more people who won't have to pay for gas - and a million fewer tanks that have to be filled, thus reducing demand (and therefore prices.)

13 minutes ago, billvon said:

A bit of good news:

Almost a million EVs were sold in June alone worldwide.  That is about a million more people who won't have to pay for gas - and a million fewer tanks that have to be filled, thus reducing demand (and therefore prices.)

Nice, but 79.1 motor vehicles were built in 2021. Still if a million EVs were built every month now at the beginning of the change over I would think it won’t be long till they are the majority of production.

14 minutes ago, billvon said:

A bit of good news:

Hi Bill,

I, like most of us here in the USA, do not care for the current gas prices.

However, of those complaining, just how many would prefer to get lower prices & little supply like it was in 1973? *

I well remember spending a lot of time sitting in gas lines.  Eventually, Oregon went to a system of even/odd dates depending upon your license plates numbers; that helped somewhat.

Jerry Baumchen

*  I'll take today's prices.

It's not going to happen overnight, and it might never happen for some people -- the Amish still use horses, and there are people who farm using as little motorized power as possible still.

For now, big trucks are gasoline, they might transition to natural gas if the infrastructure catches up, some of that transport might also start migrating back to trains. It would be even better if we lost our addiction to out-of-season and out-of-area foods. Think of all the local businesspeople supported when one buys local.

Wendy P.

1 hour ago, wmw999 said:

It's not going to happen overnight, and it might never happen for some people -- the Amish still use horses, and there are people who farm using as little motorized power as possible still.

Yeah, but you know something odd?  The Amish use a lot of solar.  Turns out that they are not opposed to technology, they are just opposed to technology that brings a lot of baggage (i.e. you have to get an electric bill and pay it every month, you have to get a car and get gas every two weeks.)  They want to avoid the "English" world and all the debris that comes along with that (push media, consumer culture, impossible and illogical standards of beauty, worship of power and wealth etc.)   As an example, they allow phones, but not in their house*.  That way people can still get in touch with businesses, but the availability of instant communications does not tempt people to avoid their immediate relations and talk to people far away.

For a long time the Amish used generators when they needed power, but that still had the problem of buying fuel for it.  Solar is much more insular and lets them live off the land rather than off an oil company.  Will they feel the same way about EVs?  I think it's likely.  A vehicle that is theirs, never needs to go to a gas station, and can be fueled right there at their house from the sun.

(* - there are, of course, a lot of different kinds of Amish with different rules and different things they allow.)

11 hours ago, billvon said:

For a long time the Amish used generators when they needed power, but that still had the problem of buying fuel for it.  Solar is much more insular and lets them live off the land rather than off an oil company.  Will they feel the same way about EVs?  I think it's likely.  A vehicle that is theirs, never needs to go to a gas station, and can be fueled right there at their house from the sun.

You could almost call that being "conservative"....

16 hours ago, billvon said:

A bit of good news:

Reducing the demand for gasoline while increasing the demand for electricity most of which is produced by fossil fuel.

California says buy an EV but don’t charge it when you come home from work because the grid can’t handle the strain.

On 8/2/2022 at 10:02 AM, brenthutch said:

California says buy an EV but don’t charge it when you come home from work because the grid can’t handle the strain.

The grid is strained in the afternoon and early evening, but overnight has capacity. My charger is set to only charge my car between 11pm and 6am when the rates are lowest.

That cars need to pull power from the grid doesn't mean they are bad for it, in fact electric cars will eventually be able to help smooth the power grid demands by functioning as a giant distributed power source when they are plugged by discharging their batteries during peak demand.

59 minutes ago, SethInMI said:

The grid is strained in the afternoon and early evening, but overnight has capacity. My charger is set to only charge my car between 11pm and 6am when the rates are lowest.

That cars need to pull power from the grid doesn't mean they are bad for it, in fact electric cars will eventually be able to help smooth the power grid demands by functioning as a giant distributed power source when they are plugged by discharging their batteries during peak demand.

Until you can suck electrons through a hose like gasoline he won't believe it.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2022 at 7:02 AM, brenthutch said:

It takes 6kwhr of electricity to extract, refine and pump 1 gallon of gasoline.  From jack pumps to crude heaters to pipeline pumps to refinery vacuum pumps to the pump that gets the gas into your car - all that takes electrical power.

6kwhr will propel my car 24 miles.

So if you replace every single gas car that gets 24mpg with an EV like mine - and you just charge whenever you want (i.e. at random) - then there is no change in the total electricity used.

If you replace every single gas car that gets 24mpg with an EV like mine - AND you charge at midnight when most EV owners do - then the total load on the grid goes down.

4 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Until you can suck electrons through a hose like gasoline he won't believe it.

Well, he can try.  But I just ran a high voltage safety class for my company, and that was officially in the "not recommended" category.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, billvon said:

Well, he can try.  But I just ran a high voltage safety class for my company, and that was officially in the "not recommended" category.

Electrons are funny.  I have roughly 2 x 10^28 of them in my body, yet sucking a few more through a straw would be quite nasty.

(edited)
5 hours ago, kallend said:

Electrons are funny.  I have roughly 2 x 10^28 of them in my body, yet sucking a few more through a straw would be quite nasty.

Electrons are like Elvis and Jesus. They are EVERYWHERE man. (Except in a pure vacuum)

Edited by gowlerk

2 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

Might be a good time to cut off spare parts and support for the MBS military.

Putin and the prince: fears in west as Russia and Saudi Arabia deepen ties A worthwhile short read.

That's what I'm thinking. "You know, MBS 'ol buddy, it's nothing personal but these damn supply chains are a booger and it being so hard to find employees we'll be lucky to be only a little bit behind especially as we need to fill Yemen's new orders first."

Too bad Microsoft doesn't build fighter Jets or we could just causing them to lock up without the new emergency update.

• Like 1