4 4
brenthutch

May’s Global Temperature coldest in 9 years

2 hours ago, jakee said:
2 hours ago, Slim King said:

I've seen this ploy before. Mods allow someone to call others of a different mindset names and do nothing, but if someone returns the favor they are booted. I'm happy you saw what was happening here.

It’s literally his chosen name on this forum.  

All monkeys are monkeys. no matter what their monkey number is.

13 minutes ago, Slim King said:

They are demanding electric cars .... 

Yet you can still buy as many IC ones as you could possibly want, even though electric cars make sense fit a huge number of people. 
Since, as you point out, electric planes do not make sense right now, they’re a looooong way away. Hell, aeroplanes have still been allowed to run on leaded avgas FFS - the various aviation regulators around the world are hardly at the forefront of the green revolution.

4 hours ago, The Hundredth Monkey said:

What makes you say that, you said that months ago, but you seem awefuly sure of yourself, while distancing yourself from explanation. <snip>

Rhys: "billvon, the graph I posted was ACTUAL temperature, your graph was just showing the CHANGE in temperature"

Me: Rhys your graph literally says "T DEPARTURE FROM" in the y-axis, departure meaning change from a baseline.

So what makes me say that? I know english. You don't know your graphs.

Edited by olofscience

47 minutes ago, jakee said:

Since, as you point out, electric planes do not make sense right now, they’re a looooong way away.

Actually when electric planes are indeed feasible (when battery technology finally catches up) they can make skydiving MUCH cheaper than today.

Maintenance and operating costs of an electric aircraft can be way, way less than a traditional fossil fuel one.

No gearbox, no complex liquid fuel system, no high temperatures or pressures.

They're actually a big hit with flying schools because of this.

“My electric aircraft costs £3 per hour,” said Mahajan. “The sister [fuel-powered] aircraft is £30 an hour.”

3 hours ago, wmw999 said:

When I started jumping it cost 1/6 of what it costs now.

Wendy P.

Hi Wendy,

I continue to say that jumps in the US today, cost less than when I started.

For comparison, I used the pay scale for federal employees; I used to be one & the info is available to us.

In 1964, when I made my first jump, a jump to 12,500 ft was right about $5.25.  Today that jump will be right about $26.00.

Federal pay today is 8 times was it was in '64 and the cost of jumps is 5 times what it was in '64.

Get out there & jump, you are saving money.

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  Also, just think about the facilities at today's dzs in the US & also think about the jump ships available today; then compare that to what things were like in '64.

7 hours ago, Slim King said:

So you are ready for the increase? How much does an electric plane cost these days? Don't get me wrong .. I have two electric bikes, over 1800 watts in solar panels and dozens of stand alone electric lights.... But huge batteries and flying don't work well together.

?? They are very popular for trainers.  And for people who need to do one thing and one thing only - get to 12,500 as fast as possible - they are just about the perfect solution.

Cost?  NO ONE buys new airplanes for skydiving.  NO ONE.  (With very rare exceptions.)  They buy almost timed out crap planes that are no longer legal under part 121 but legal under part 135.  Same will happen with electric aircraft.  Those larger trainers will replace Cessna 182's in about ten years.

8 hours ago, Slim King said:

Just remember what this fat old white guy warned you about when it is too expensive to jump ..... But I doubt you will .. 

I definitely won’t remember that when it doesn’t happen. 

(No way are you old)

8 hours ago, billvon said:

...They buy almost timed out crap planes that are no longer legal under part 121 but legal under part 135...

Jump planes operate under part 91, not 135.

A bit pedantic, but according to the Professor, I'm 'just an amateur' at that, so I'm working on my game. ;P

The part about 'timed out crap planes' is absolutely correct.

Old King Airs are usually only worth the time left on the engines. The airframe has value only as scrap metal and maybe parts.

Edited by wolfriverjoe
'Cuz I can't spell 'part' correctly

3 minutes ago, billvon said:

You're right.  I never understood that, since part 135 describes pretty much exactly what skydiving ops are.

135 is 'air taxi'. 
Charter aircraft carrying passengers from point to point.

Since skydiving ops land at the same airport they take off from, it doesn't quite meet the requirements.

Instead it falls under part 91, which is also where training ops and sightseeing flights operate.

Fun fact: Way, way back when I was a CFI (a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away), there was a 'not quite to solo' student who was a lawyer. He wanted his private license for work purposes. He had an appointment a few hundred miles away, and I ended up being his 'instructor' for a dual cross country. I wasn't his main instructor, but I had some free time and was available. Since he was a legit student, and logged the time as dual instruction it fell under 'instructional purposes' and part 91. If he hadn't been an actual student, that would have been a part 135 flight and I couldn't have legally done it.

On 9/3/2022 at 9:22 AM, Slim King said:

Such nonsense. As I've said ... Once you are fooled, your ego makes you support the deception. https://rumble.com/v1i9aci-off-the-charts-fake-news.html?mref=6zof&mrefc=2

This is from realclimatescience.com 

Do you ever think that you could have been fooled and your ego makes you continuously support that deception?

3 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

The part about 'timed out crap planes' is absolutely correct.

That is an overly broad statement. Not every operator has junk airplanes although there are some real embarrassments out there.  Yes, most have some years on them but well maintained and with modern engines and upgraded avionics they are as safe as new. Also, at least one operator Ray Ferrell bought 5 new PAC 750's into skydiving. 

26 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

That is an overly broad statement. Not every operator has junk airplanes although there are some real embarrassments out there.  Yes, most have some years on them but well maintained and with modern engines and upgraded avionics they are as safe as new. Also, at least one operator Ray Ferrell bought 5 new PAC 750's into skydiving. 

That is very true.

I know a DZO who has gotten somewhat out of the 'owning a bunch of DZs' business and into the 'owning a bunch of airplanes and leasing them out' business.

He's an A&P/I, does most (all?) of the work on the planes, and keeps them in very good shape.
It's both a point of pride and very important for the revenue stream to be able to claim virtually no unscheduled maintenance downtime on his planes.
Since most of the DZs that lease his planes are 'upper Midwest', they only use them in the summer, so he has all winter to to scheduled/preventative maintenance.

The 'flagship' Otter had new engines (upgraded to the 'better' ones) and props put on a few years ago.

However, the image that jump planes follow the cliche of 'first they're short-haul passenger planes, then cargo haulers, then go to the drug smugglers, then, they get the interior ripped out, a kickass stereo and floor mounted seat belts, a wild paint scheme so that they can fly jumpers for as long as the chewing gum holds them together' has more than 'just a bit' of truth to it.

The above used to be in the 'skydiving' section of the "Uncyclopedia", but it got changed around a bit.
For those unfamiliar with it, it's both amusing and disturbingly accurate in some respects

https://en.uncyclopedia.co/wiki/Skydiving

18 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

That is very true.

I know a DZO who has gotten somewhat out of the 'owning a bunch of DZs' business and into the 'owning a bunch of airplanes and leasing them out' business.

He's an A&P/I, does most (all?) of the work on the planes, and keeps them in very good shape.
It's both a point of pride and very important for the revenue stream to be able to claim virtually no unscheduled maintenance downtime on his planes.
Since most of the DZs that lease his planes are 'upper Midwest', they only use them in the summer, so he has all winter to to scheduled/preventative maintenance.

The 'flagship' Otter had new engines (upgraded to the 'better' ones) and props put on a few years ago.

However, the image that jump planes follow the cliche of 'first they're short-haul passenger planes, then cargo haulers, then go to the drug smugglers, then, they get the interior ripped out, a kickass stereo and floor mounted seat belts, a wild paint scheme so that they can fly jumpers for as long as the chewing gum holds them together' has more than 'just a bit' of truth to it.

The above used to be in the 'skydiving' section of the "Uncyclopedia", but it got changed around a bit.
For those unfamiliar with it, it's both amusing and disturbingly accurate in some respects

https://en.uncyclopedia.co/wiki/Skydiving

There are memes for everything; perpetuating, and exaggerating, old "just a bit" of truths in an area you are without expertise isn't helpful. The reality is the Turbine and Tandem era has raised the bar pretty much everywhere substantially. Few people let $1.5 Million dollar airplanes degrade in value owing to poor maintenance. Large DZ's doing north of 40,000 slots per years with 10 month skydiving seasons can afford it based on slots flown. Smaller Turbine DZ's with shorter seasons need a solid Tandem business to do it right. It's the DZ's that aren't making money that worry me.

1 minute ago, The Hundredth Monkey said:

Cleary the website is not controlled by people that actually care about diversity, ethnic and spiritual inclusivity and mutual respect. But it is a free world after all.

Unlike some on here, they care about reality

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The Hundredth Monkey said:

9 out of ten Covid deaths are fully vaccinated after all...

Not holding my breath for a credible source on that outrageous lie.  But you got a meme in there with it so that's all that really matters to prove your point, right?