1 1
brenthutch

Joe Rogan

I really don't know much about Joe Rogan, but apparently he tends to get Woke panties in a knot as a matter of course.  What I don't get is, given that the Woke consider it to be a god given right to be completely out to lunch, why don't they extend that opportunity to others?

In any event, if he had quoted any number of rap titles and lyrics, I am sure he would have provided plenty of material for the accusatory clip that went around.

I am fully confident that, if we get past the current crop of cancel culture proponents on the right and left, there will be more in the future.  These things appear to run in cycles.

BSBD,

Winsor

• Like 1

(edited)

People don't want to think for themselves, the ability for reasoning is at an all time low, and it is a bi-partisan phenomenon.

My wife was outraged that Joe Rogan was an anti-vaxer, because that was what she gleaned from the 2 minute news blast. I told her that I didn't listen to those exact episodes but I was fairly certain that he wasn't personally making those claims, and that people were probably outraged because he gave facetime to some controversial guests.

Ultimately that was my take on the recent events. Besides if you get your medical advice from his podcast you are a fucking idiot, and you are probably making the supplement companies rich! If you don't die of covid you will probably just OD on Alpha Brain and Athletic Greens instead. ;)

People are outraged because of 1 minute sound bites from the nightly news. I see the same phenomenon with issues that make conservative's blood boil. People are mad as hell, but 9 times out of 10 they only know that their tribe is mad, and they haven't spent any time reasoning out their position themselves.

Edited by DougH
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Note the platform is Rumble, Trump’s new foray into media.

A $100 million dollar contract with Trump... that sounds highly legit, totally going to get full payment, and unlikely to end in lawsuits and skullduggery.

Is the My-pillow guy planning on jumping in on this too?

I've not watched Rogan's 'work' and I don't endorse all his guests. With that being said; Neil Young (singer of "Union Man" no less) has now urged Spotify employees to quit their jobs, to advance his own personal agenda against the platform. Other than 'cancel culture' itself, there's something curiously bizarre about his latest position.

Joe Rogan is a free thinker with an inquisitive mind, he conducts long format interviews lasting hours covering a wide range of topics.  The left wants him canceled because he is not a doctrinal lefty.  Although he endorsed Bernie Sanders for President, he has also  given voice to the likes of Jordan Peterson and Ben Shapiro.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, metalslug said:

I've not watched Rogan's 'work' and I don't endorse all his guests. With that being said; Neil Young (singer of "Union Man" no less) has now urged Spotify employees to quit their jobs, to advance his own personal agenda against the platform. 

?? And all the right wingers cheered their little heads off when Colin Kaepernick was bounced from the NFL in order to advance their own personal agendas against a black player.  But that's fine because they don't like him.

(edited)
8 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

And the right loves him cause he says nigger and compares black people to planet of the apes. Like being at the dinner table for them.

Really?  Source please.

(not that I don’t believe you)

Edited by brenthutch

Here is a link to an article about an apology that he made for using the N word repeatedly on his program. He now says he doesn't use it any more, and even when he did, it was only for illustrative purposes.

I'm nowhere near interested enough in Joe Rogan to go research all those uses in context (he says that the context of the repeated times is critical).

Note I'm not trying to cancel Joe Rogan; he's a comedian who's now found that there's more money in saying stuff that gets people riled up. But he's also against political polarization, and he's for a lot of things I'm for. Except for that whole COVID thing.

For a long, long, time, there were no or few consequences for white people mistreating, falsely accusing, or anything else people of color, especially black. Consider all the trials where people have been acquitted of the most egregious behavior. So maybe, just maybe, there should be some consequences now.

Wendy P.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DougH said:

People don't want to think for themselves, the ability for reasoning is at an all time low, and it is a bi-partisan phenomenon....

and to your point:

11 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Joe Rogan is a free thinker with an inquisitive mind, he conducts long format interviews lasting hours covering a wide range of topics.  The left wants him canceled because he is not a doctrinal lefty.  Although he endorsed Bernie Sanders for President, he has also  given voice to the likes of Jordan Peterson and Ben Shapiro.  

"“Ladies,” he went on, “you make people. You make all the people. And you want to be president, too, you fucking greedy bitches? What else do you want? You want bigger dicks than us?” “Ladies,” he went on some more, “I love you … but let’s be honest, you don’t invent a lot of shit.” is a typical line for the testosterone injecting (weekly), human growth hormone pill popping Red Bull guzzling Rogan. I see why it appeals to a fan like Brent.

But like Brent his listeners don't analyze any deeper than the skin. Rogan is for almost everything left that Bernie Sanders stands for. As long as Rogan can sell vitamins, supplements and give a voice to Alex Jones As long as his podcasts can run hour after hour of a mix of Tucker Carlson's conspiracies. Intermingled with how the average American male can improve himself by eating wild game mixed with vitamins. There will be listeners wanting to fill vacant hours in their lives.

22 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

"“Ladies,” he went on, “you make people. You make all the people. And you want to be president, too, you fucking greedy bitches? What else do you want? You want bigger dicks than us?” “Ladies,” he went on some more, “I love you … but let’s be honest, you don’t invent a lot of shit.”

I am glad I live in a world where I work with women who "invent a lot of shit."  A quick list of women I've worked with patents on:

Clara Chi 9 patents
Linda Irish 52 patents
Gini Keating 40 patents
Blythe Towal 24 patents
Saura Naderi 1 patent
Natalie DePratt 1 patent

And of course anyone who uses a cellphone today relies on the patent that Hedy Lamarr got for spread-spectrum communication 80 years ago.  I wonder if Joe would be shocked that a woman - an actress at that! - invented the technology that he communicates on today.  I have a feeling he'd take the approach that several of Hedy's male acquaintances took - that some guy must have invented it for her, then put her name on the patent to get in her pants.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, billvon said:

I am glad I live in a world where I work with women who "invent a lot of shit."  A quick list of women I've worked with patents on:

Clara Chi 9 patents
Linda Irish 52 patents
Gini Keating 40 patents
Blythe Towal 24 patents
Saura Naderi 1 patent
Natalie DePratt 1 patent

“Patenting inventions has long been a mainly male endeavour: a 2016 report2 by the Institute for Women’s Policy Research, a US non-profit organization that aims to improve the lives of women by shaping public policy, found that a woman was cited as the lead inventor on just 7.7% of all patents filed between 1977 and 2010 in the United States. Those female-owned patents tended to involve products such as jewellery and clothing.”

Truth hurts 

1 hour ago, olofscience said:

So how many patents do you own?

1 hour ago, olofscience said:

Correction, I meant, how many inventions have you patented? As of course the patent owner and inventor can be two different people.

The foundations of Brent's post is the historic under-participation of women in science and engineering. Which is typically the areas from which patents are generated.

Now the equation is swinging the other way. Women are attending college in increasing numbers every year.

"The coronavirus upended the lives of millions of college students. The Wall Street Journal reported this week that men have been hit particularly hard — accounting for roughly three-fourths of pandemic-driven dropouts — and depicted an accelerating crisis in male enrollment.

A closer look at historical trends and the labor market reveals a more complex picture, one in which women keep playing catch-up in an economy structured to favor men....In 1992, 55 percent of college students were women. By 2019, the number had nudged up to 57.4 percent." Yet they are still underrepresented in engineering and the sciences.

This goes to the heart of the matters for winsor, Brent and Mr. Rogan. They are under threat. They have been punched in the face. By the concepts that women will surpass men in incomes, even become entitled. That the white male wilt be emasculated by a women. Hence the reference by Rogan to women "You want bigger dicks than us?". A statement that goes right to the meat of Rogan's audience.

The horror....the horror.

20 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

The foundations of Brent's post is the historic under-participation of women in science and engineering. Which is typically the areas from which patents are generated...

It's a lot more than 'under participation', although that's a big factor. It's also prejudice and denying the idea that women can be capable of that sort of thing.

Look up Margaret Knight.

Invented a machine that made flat bottomed paper bags.

Nearly had the patent stolen.
One of the arguments in the court case was that she couldn't have invented it, because "she could not possibly understand the mechanical complexities of the machine".

Brent employs the old tactic of using the consequences of discrimination to justify continuing that discrimination.  For example, it was long argued (especially in the former confederate states) that it would be a waste of money to provide public education to former slaves and their descendants as they were not intelligent enough to make use of that education.  As "proof" they pointed to the very low literacy rate amongst those former slaves.  Of course they neglected to mention that slave states had strict laws forbidding teaching slaves to read and write, so the very low literacy rate had nothing to do with intelligence. 

So, we are left with a couple of choices regarding Brent's post.  Either he is incapable of understanding that he is perpetuating a practice that has historically excluded half the human race from being recognized as intelligent creative people fully capable of inventing useful products, or else he does understand what he is perpetuating and chooses to do so anyway.  Neither option speaks well of him.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, GeorgiaDon said:

Either he is incapable of understanding... or else he does understand what he is perpetuating and chooses to do so anyway

We're still waiting on a list of brent's inventions, but Hanlon's razor is usually a good guideline in general:

"never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"

17 minutes ago, GeorgiaDon said:

...So, we are left with a couple of choices regarding Brent's post.  Either he is incapable of understanding that he is perpetuating a practice that has historically excluded half the human race from being recognized as intelligent creative people fully capable of inventing useful products, or else he does understand what he is perpetuating and chooses to do so anyway.  Neither option speaks well of him.

Option 3 - He knows full well what he's doing, and is doing it specifically to generate responses.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, olofscience said:

We're still waiting on a list of brent's inventions, but Hanlon's razor is usually a good guideline in general:

"never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"

I hear he's currently searching prior art for his improved, spring loaded pancake spatula and a coin with an invisible  string to defeat the turn styles at Disneyland.

• Like 1