1 1
brenthutch

Joe Rogan

5 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Play the topic, not the player.

Wendy P. 

Well I'll give Brent credit. At least he has moved on from climate change denial.:handsspread: and Joe Rogan is a good poster child for the right. Rogan's longest podcast is 5 hours and 19 minutes. So he could tie up the minds of right wing America for 1/5 of their lives if he really went at it.

2 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

The foundations of Brent's post is the historic under-participation of women in science and engineering. Which is typically the areas from which patents are generated.

Now the equation is swinging the other way. Women are attending college in increasing numbers every year.

Yep.  When I got to MIT it was about 70/30 men/women.  My last two years there we would spend the summers - well, working, but our lousy band (a Blues Brothers takeoff) would play for the Women's Weekends they had there.  MIT put a lot of effort into recruiting women.

20 years later they are almost 50/50, with some majors (ocean engineering for example) having far more than 50% women - and without lowering admissions standards at all.  All it took was making it clear to high school women that they were 1) capable and 2) would be accepted like anyone else.

4 hours ago, brenthutch said:

on just 7.7% of all patents filed between 1977 and 2010 in the United States.

90% of the patents I listed above were filed after 2010.  You're living in the past (as Rogan is.)

In fact, if you have a cellphone with cordless charging, not only are you using Hedy's patent - you are also using Linda's.

3 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

This goes to the heart of the matters for winsor, Brent and Mr. Rogan. They are under threat. They have been punched in the face. By the concepts that women will surpass men in incomes, even become entitled. That the white male wilt be emasculated by a women. 

The horror....the horror.

My wife earns WAY more in her job than I do on my rental properties and I am super good with it.  My daughter has been training in Muay Thai and jujitsu since she was five (eight years now) and she regularly kicks boys asses and that doesn’t threaten my manhood in the least. Try again.

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

My wife earns WAY more in her job than I do on my rental properties and I am super good with it.  My daughter has been training in Muay Thai and jujitsu since she was five (eight years now) and she regularly kicks boys asses and that doesn’t threaten my manhood in the least. Try again.

But does it threaten their manhood, you know the projection thing.

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

I'll defer to Wendy's instructions. But I'll admit that you, winsor and Ron add a perspective that heretofore I never knew existed. Prior to this thread I obviously knew Rogan from MMA events. But had no idea what he was all about.

I guess if i was a trucker in the middle of nowhere and didn't have mp3 or reasonable radio reception. That his rambling could hold me captive for a while if enough humor was sprinkled around. Tucker Carlson for me is about 20 seconds.

8 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

I'll defer to Wendy's instructions. But I'll admit that you, winsor and Ron add a perspective that heretofore I never knew existed. Prior to this thread I obviously knew Rogan from MMA events. But had no idea what he was all about.

I guess if i was a trucker in the middle of nowhere and didn't have mp3 or reasonable radio reception. That his rambling could hold me captive for a while if enough humor was sprinkled around. Tucker Carlson for me is about 20 seconds.

I've seen pictures of him, but do not recall having heard his voice.

10 hours ago, brenthutch said:

My daughter has been training in Muay Thai and jujitsu since she was five (eight years now) and she regularly kicks boys asses 

Waiting for Rogan's "well, I love women, props to them. but we all know that when it comes to violence they better hope there's a man there, am I right?  I mean, everyone who's not a woke loser knows that."

8 hours ago, billvon said:

Waiting for Rogan's "well, I love women, props to them. but we all know that when it comes to violence they better hope there's a man there, am I right?  I mean, everyone who's not a woke loser knows that."

Generally, men are bigger, stronger, faster and more aggressive, and anyone with a brain knows that.

16 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

So then what's with the Muay Thai, Jiu-Jitsu and wilderness training for your daughter? Are you correcting a misgender?

No, just standard gun toting, Pennsylvania redneck, dad thing. Fishing, camping, shooting, skiing, mountain biking, fighting etc.

5 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Generally, men are bigger, stronger, faster and more aggressive, and anyone with a brain knows that.

Ah.  So your daughter should listen to Rogan types and not try to kick boy's asses, because anyone with a brain knows she's on the losing side of that fight.  Please pass that on.

4 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

So then what's with the Muay Thai, Jiu-Jitsu and wilderness training for your daughter? Are you correcting a misgender?

Vicarious living experience. Its just too bad that science camp, engineering camp, yoga etc. is not a part.

Edited by Phil1111

6 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Generally they also give up faster when it comes to dealing with pain. Which is why in ultra-endurance events women tend to outperform men. See that in both swimming and running events.

This editorial may help explain the appeal of Joe Rogan. Status Anxiety Is Blowing Wind Into Trump’s Sails Its a NYT guest essay on the psychology of the right, white, male in America. It uses psychological studies to illustrate why GOP voters identify with the likes of Rogan and trump.

Why "big dicks", testosterone injections, Brown immigration, etc. threatens the white male in America. Perhaps if everyone else better understood the tremendous pressures that those poor, sad, males face. They would understand why they act the way they do.

2 hours ago, billvon said:

Ah.  So your daughter should listen to Rogan types and not try to kick boy's asses, because anyone with a brain knows she's on the losing side of that fight.  Please pass that on.

She kicks boys’ asses, not men’s.  I hope you know the difference.

Edited by brenthutch

1 hour ago, SkyDekker said:

Generally they also give up faster when it comes to dealing with pain. Which is why in ultra-endurance events women tend to outperform men. See that in both swimming and running events.

And that is why all of the ultra marathon record holders are men:/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultramarathon#Men

We discussed Joe Rogan over lunch yesterday. I remember Joe Rogan from when he hosted "Fear Factor" on TV and have have respected some of his more recent interviews, but lost track of the most recent controversy.

My buddy is more of a Joe Rogan fan than I, so he filled in the details. He claims that the main opposition to Joe Rogan is monetary. Apparently Joe Rogan attracts up to 11 million listeners per pod-cast ... more than the next 5 news shows combined. Please note that this statistic only applies to the specific time-slot when Rogan is on-the-air. This distracts listeners away from more traditional news sources, sapping their revenues. Another problem is Mr. Rogan insisting that his shows be free for listeners, which further spas ad revenues from traditional news media.

While I may not agree with all of Joe Rogan's guests, I support Joe's right to free-speech. If you limit yourself to only one news source or only one side of an argument, you limit your total knowledge. Since I don't expect to hear the-whole-truth from any single news source, I need to consult 4 or 5 sources before making up my mind.

Update: Brother gowlerk just corrected me by saying that pod-casts can be listened to any time the listener wants to listen. This provides an even greater distraction from traditional media ... meaning that they lose even more listeners (and ad revenue) whenever a listener listens to a Joe Rogan pod-cast.

I used to listen to the ocassional Joe Rogan pod-cast - on youtube - and respected his research and open-minded discussions.

Edited by riggerrob
add a paragraph

7 minutes ago, riggerrob said:

Apparently Joe Rogan attracts up to 11 million listeners per pod-cast ... more than the next 5 news shows combined. Please note that this statistic only applies to the specific time-slot when Rogan is on-the-air. This distracts listeners away from more traditional news sources, sapping their revenues.

The problem with this analysis is that podcasts can be and mostly are listened to at any time the listener chooses. No one listens to them live. That is the whole reason it is a podcast.