1 1
brenthutch

Joe Rogan

On 2/9/2022 at 11:35 AM, billvon said:

Yep.  When I got to MIT it was about 70/30 men/women.  My last two years there we would spend the summers - well, working, but our lousy band (a Blues Brothers takeoff) would play for the Women's Weekends they had there.  MIT put a lot of effort into recruiting women.

20 years later they are almost 50/50, with some majors (ocean engineering for example) having far more than 50% women - and without lowering admissions standards at all.  All it took was making it clear to high school women that they were 1) capable and 2) would be accepted like anyone else.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender-equality_paradox

The more equal we are, the more equal we aren’t?

Só, I believe you’ve said you don’t see color, because of your military training. Do you see gender? Do you make judgments of people’s capabilities based on gender? Like, for instance, their strength, either of body of or mind?

Or do you instead look at the individual, and say “man he looks pretty wimpy,” or “she’s buff enough to kick my ass?” And if you make assumptions based on gender, what assumptions do you make based on other characteristics? Everyone makes them — it’s our experience, or the experience of trusted others. The ability to question that “experience,” to question that of other, and especially to question the relevance of experience in one time and place, with one set of actors, on another, that marks someone who actually thinks about the situation.

Kind of like critical race theory — look at a situation with a different viewpoint to see what it can teach you  

Wendy P. 

2 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Só, I believe you’ve said you don’t see color, because of your military training. Do you see gender? Do you make judgments of people’s capabilities based on gender? 

Wendy P. 

I make judgements of peoples’ capabilities, based on their capabilities.

3 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

I make judgements of peoples’ capabilities, based on their capabilities.

That is exactly the issue some of us have with your, and one or two others here, world view. You see the world after the fact. That's likely why you are comfy with rentals: I buy X, I rent X plus, I make money. I prefer to make judgements on potential. Not just people but with everything. 

11 hours ago, wmw999 said:

Só, I believe you’ve said you don’t see color, because of your military training. Do you see gender? Do you make judgments of people’s capabilities based on gender? Like, for instance, their strength, either of body of or mind?

Or do you instead look at the individual, and say “man he looks pretty wimpy,” or “she’s buff enough to kick my ass?” And if you make assumptions based on gender, what assumptions do you make based on other characteristics? Everyone makes them — it’s our experience, or the experience of trusted others. The ability to question that “experience,” to question that of other, and especially to question the relevance of experience in one time and place, with one set of actors, on another, that marks someone who actually thinks about the situation.

Kind of like critical race theory — look at a situation with a different viewpoint to see what it can teach you  

Wendy P. 

Not at all like 'critical race theory.'

One need not get past the premises of critical race theory for it to be revealed as a racist ideology at the very best.  If you hadn't noticed, critical race theory is all about race (big surprise there).  It works out to be remarkably one-dimensional, and every bit as egalitarian as the Klan.

Whether or not CRT or the KKK are right or wrong, they're equally fucked up for very similar reasons.

To ignore the differences between Kikuyu and Yoruba in a track meet is to overlook fundamental aptitude for spring vs. endurance.

The differences between men and women are significant and real.  In some circumstances they matter, and in others they are irrelevant.

To say that everyone has, or at least deserves, equal rights is fine.  To say that everyone is the same is delusional.

BSBD,

Winsor

BSBD,

Winsor

18 minutes ago, winsor said:

One need not get past the premises of critical race theory for it to be revealed as a racist ideology at the very best.  If you hadn't noticed, critical race theory is all about race (big surprise there).  It works out to be remarkably one-dimensional, and every bit as egalitarian as the Klan.

Whether or not CRT or the KKK are right or wrong, they're equally fucked up for very similar reasons.

To ignore the differences between Kikuyu and Yoruba in a track meet is to overlook fundamental aptitude for spring vs. endurance.

The differences between men and women are significant and real.  In some circumstances they matter, and in others they are irrelevant.

To say that everyone has, or at least deserves, equal rights is fine.  To say that everyone is the same is delusional.

BSBD,

Winsor

BSBD,

Winsor

And once again you hold up the Fox News caricature of CRT and use that as evidence that CRT is comparable to the Klan. 

America was built around slavery 

Racist practices were built into the laws of the nation until ridiculously recently. The affects of those laws with respect to the ability of affected communities to build generational wealth are still highly evident today. 

Understanding that history might help kids put the things they observe into a better context.

Contrary to what Tucker tells you, the point isn’t to make white people feel bad about themselves or place blame for the current situation, just add some context.  

Oh, the horrors that poor little Ethan might have to drive by the ghetto and do more than wonder why those people can’t just pull themselves up by their bootstraps.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, lippy said:

And once again you hold up the Fox News caricature of CRT and use that as evidence that CRT is comparable to the Klan. 

Racist practices were built into the laws of the nation until ridiculously recently. The affects of those laws with respect to the ability of affected communities to build generational wealth are still highly evident today. 

Understanding that history might help kids put the things they observe into a better context.

Contrary to what Tucker tells you, the point isn’t to make white people feel bad about themselves or place blame for the current situation, just add some context.  

Oh, the horrors that poor little Ethan might have to drive by the ghetto and do more than wonder why those people can’t just pull themselves up by their bootstraps.

Shhhhh.

The first rule of White Privilege is that we don't admit White Privilege exists.

• Like 1

From Steve Kooni, former Obama science adviser and climate skeptic.

“[Friday] Joe Rogan released a 2-hour podcast that I had recorded with him on Thursday in Austin. It was a serious, in-depth conversation about climate and energy matters that will reach 11M people (more than NYT, WSJ, WaPo, CNN, and Fox combined).”

The last part is the real reason the left is going after Rogan. His microphone is too big and he interviews folks who’s views are not in line with left wing dogma.

2 hours ago, lippy said:

Yep.  Heck, the requirement to return escaped slaves was in the original Constitution.

I do get a kick out of the Southerners nowadays who claim that they never supported slavery, and that the Civil War was fought over states rights issues, not slavery.  Perhaps that clause in the original Constitution was put there by . . . accident?  Perhaps as a joke.  Yeah that's it.

Also agreed.  Many HOA's had covenants prohibiting black residents - and still have them.  They would not survive today if challenged, but many communities simply see no reason to change them.  And yes, that's why white men don't want CRT taught - they fear that once the laws that enforced white supremacy are exposed, their own accomplishments will seem less noble.

1 hour ago, billvon said:

Yep.  Heck, the requirement to return escaped slaves was in the original Constitution.

I do get a kick out of the Southerners nowadays who claim that they never supported slavery, and that the Civil War was fought over states rights issues, not slavery.  Perhaps that clause in the original Constitution was put there by . . . accident?  Perhaps as a joke.  Yeah that's it.

Also agreed.  Many HOA's had covenants prohibiting black residents - and still have them.  They would not survive today if challenged, but many communities simply see no reason to change them.  And yes, that's why white men don't want CRT taught - they fear that once the laws that enforced white supremacy are exposed, their own accomplishments will seem less noble.

Nice try, but the problem with CRT is not that it lets on the Big Secret that there were slaves prior to 1865 (are you sure?  I never heard that), nor the other Big Secret that blacks were treated very shabbily thereafter (as were Irish, Chinese, any Native Americans, etc., etc.).

The fact that the underlying theme of CRT that the USA is All About Race is at issue.  Believe it or not, the people you despise do not start every decision with the question "in doing this, is there any way it can further disenfranchise the downtrodden - Blacks in particular?"

If you beat people over the head with an issue, eventually they get sick of getting beaten over the head - regardless of the reason.  It's not so much whether they support or oppose the issue as it is that they conclude that the people beating them over the head with it are way fucked up.

Of course you are on the side of the angels (as always), so it's all good.

BSBD,

Winsor

26 minutes ago, winsor said:

The fact that the underlying theme of CRT that the USA is All About Race is at issue

Slavery was one of the foundations of the USA. As others have pointed out it was so foundational that it is part of the constitution and a constitutional amendment was needed to end it. My understanding of CRT is that some of that foundation still remains. It has only been partially washed away by time. Your understanding of it is different from mine but I do not believe that CRT is used to teach that the USA is all about race, only that race still matters more than it should in America.

34 minutes ago, winsor said:

The fact that the underlying theme of CRT that the USA is All About Race is at issue. 

And the fact that that's not what CRT is about is completely lost on you.  But if you pretend that it is, you can cloak yourself in a mantle of righteousness while you fight to supress a field of study that makes you uncomfortable.

39 minutes ago, billvon said:

And the fact that that's not what CRT is about is completely lost on you.  But if you pretend that it is, you can cloak yourself in a mantle of righteousness while you fight to supress a field of study that makes you uncomfortable.

Marxism - class + race = CRT

14 hours ago, billvon said:

Since I am pretty sure you are not stupid, the level of sanctimonious delusion necessary to craft that response is simply awesome.  I am dumbstruck by the level of denial in that position.

2 hours ago, winsor said:

Since I am pretty sure you are not stupid, the level of sanctimonious delusion necessary to craft that response is simply awesome.  I am dumbstruck by the level of denial in that position.

I guess if you can't defend your position, you can always just do whatever the hell this ^^^ was.

• Like 1

Kind of like debating skydiving with whuffos, or maybe guns (not their impact) with anti-gun activists. With knowledge, you can define intelligent parameters for a discussion.

So, yes, the impact of guns on society can be discussed with anyone in society. But whether anyone in America needs a gun is a different discussion.

Wendy P. 

On 2/14/2022 at 6:01 AM, winsor said:

That THIS is what you think CRT is about is delusional.

How about this. Do you think everyone should be treated the same in the eyes of the law, regardless of race or gender? A simple yes or no, please.

• Like 1