2 2
brenthutch

The Midterms for Democrats

15 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

I'm in no position to make an affirmative medical diagnosis. Given the many successes Biden has had to date as President I have no reason to doubt his mental acuity. I do think he's get's a cruel rap from folks like you because of his speech impediments. Which I think, given his ability to find work arounds, argue in favor of his mental acuity.

Hi Joe,

You may remember that back in 2020, just after the NH Primary, I posted that Joe Biden should pack up his tent and disappear into the sunset.  I still would prefer that he not run again.  However, when I consider who his opponent(s) might be in 2024 [ should he get the nomination ], I'll damn sure vote for him again.

Re:  his speech impediments

I think one of his greatest personal accomplishments has been how he has overcome a stutter that he had as a youth.

And, for anyone to use his speech impediments against him, IMO is right on par with:  You sure have an ugly wife.

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  Since airdvr alluded to my running for POTUS, what do people think of:  Jerry for the Job

Sounds kinda catchy to me.

Edited by JerryBaumchen
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, airdvr said:

So you're saying you don't believe Biden is suffering from some sort of cognitive problem?

I think he's old and he's not as sharp as he once was.  He is not the ideal choice by a long shot - but was far better than the more demented alternative.

But outside of the FOXNewsiverse, no one would consider him seriously impaired.

10 hours ago, airdvr said:

No one seemed to have a problem when jerry pointed it out about Reagan in May.

Reagan was clinically diagnosed with dementia shortly after leaving office, so he would have been in the early stages while in office.

His performance at the Iran Contra hearings was very good evidence of dementia.

trump has had dementia since birth. Every time he has had to recognize his personal failures and mistakes. It flares up. Every time he is called to testify in court proceedings. It totally cripples him.

Anytime his brain searches its recesses for the truth. Dementia blocks any findings.

PHOENIX, Nov 12 (Reuters) - Democrats will stay in control of the U.S. Senate next year after Democratic U.S. Senator Catherine Cortez Masto won re-election in Nevada, Edison Research projected on Saturday, handing a major victory to President Joe Biden.

Sean Hannity is now asking why democrats are claiming that there was some sort of "red wave" prediction.  On his broadcast he said no one knows for sure "where the predictions of the red tsunami started."  Republicans certainly did not do that because he claimed that "the polls were within the margin of error" and therefore no one sensible would have predicted any kind of a red wave.

So let's see if Brent walks back his actual video of a red wave washing down a corridor.  Perhaps he meant that there would be blood?  If so, he was right; republicans have already started killing.

https://www.journal-news.com/crime/court-docs-man-charged-in-okeana-homicide-admitted-to-shooting-neighbor/R4FEIMGN6BEBVPN2DBWI4XCGR4/

Heather Cox Richardson had an interesting point this evening:

That last seat is the one outstanding seat from Georgia. In the election there, Democratic incumbent Raphael Warnock garnered about 35,000 more votes than Trump-endorsed Republican Herschel Walker, but neither man won 50% of the vote. Under Georgia law, this forces a runoff, which will be held on December 6. Walker is a deeply flawed candidate, and now that his election cannot give the Republicans control of the Senate, it is not clear that voters will turn out for him.

Letters from an American - November 12, 2022

4 hours ago, ryoder said:

Heather Cox Richardson had an interesting point this evening:

That last seat is the one outstanding seat from Georgia. In the election there, Democratic incumbent Raphael Warnock garnered about 35,000 more votes than Trump-endorsed Republican Herschel Walker, but neither man won 50% of the vote. Under Georgia law, this forces a runoff, which will be held on December 6. Walker is a deeply flawed candidate, and now that his election cannot give the Republicans control of the Senate, it is not clear that voters will turn out for him.

Letters from an American - November 12, 2022

Yeah, that's what my brother (Atlanta lawyer) says.  But I say that it may also be that Democrats don't bother to turn out for the runoff election.

Even for the general election, just under 50% of the registered voters in Georgia bothered to vote.

They need that extra D senator, since Fox "News" tells us that Fetterman will not live long.

The crying has begun.

FOX News in Colorado ran a chyron stating "Democrats steal control of the Senate" under their post-election coverage.

When your political party considers a democratic election to be "theft" of your privilege, then you know you're on the wrong team.

11 minutes ago, billvon said:

The crying has begun.

FOX News in Colorado ran a chyron stating "Democrats steal control of the Senate" under their post-election coverage.

When your political party considers a democratic election to be "theft" of your privilege, then you know you're on the wrong team.

Good. Let them whine and cry.

Heather Cox Richardson pointed out that the Dems did the best in areas where abortion was most threatened and where the attempts to destroy democracy were strongest. Places where the R candidates were the loudest about the 2020 election being 'stolen' and loudest about 'making sure our guy wins'  went hardest for the Dems.
Places where abortion rights were fairly safe and where actual election integrity wasn't threatened went more for the Rs.
New York state & Pennsylvania are demographically very similar. And have had similar election outcomes in the past. 
This year, where PA had strong election deniers and anti-abortion idiots on the ballot, the Ds did well. 
New York, where abortion rights are fairly safe and the R candidates weren't idiots went more R.

So let them spread their lies about the election being 'stolen'.
They might realize the majority of the voters see the lie for what it is.

Eventually.

Or not.
Fuck them.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, billvon said:

The crying has begun.

Meh, they're just sore over the CO state legislature results:

CO State Senate: was 21-14, expected 23-12
CO State House: was 41-24, expected 46-19

Walker & Warnock have spent $241 million so far. We'll see how much they can burn thru in the next 20 days.

Wonder how much has been spent nationally? These folks say it's just short of $17 billion.
https://www.opensecrets.org/news/2022/11/total-cost-of-2022-state-and-federal-elections-projected-to-exceed-16-7-billion/

I wonder what would happen if there was a cap on spending based on the type of race? Going one step further, what if the amount spent on an election had to be matched with charitable giving or public works projects.

It just seems like a huge waste of money.

Fetterman v. Oz

Hopefully, I'm not the only R that isn't surprised that Fetterman won. I looked at his education, experience and community involvement and wonder - what the hell was Oz thinking? What was he thinking getting involved in politics at all. I think the tide has turned where celebrity status is now frowned upon by the voters.  

4 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Fetterman v. Oz

Hopefully, I'm not the only R that isn't surprised that Fetterman won. I looked at his education, experience and community involvement and wonder - what the hell was Oz thinking? What was he thinking getting involved in politics at all. I think the tide has turned where celebrity status is now frowned upon by the voters.  

I still cannot wrap my head around what Oz was thinking when, after all the work he put into becoming a doctor, and eventually professor of surgery at Columbia, he decided to throw it all away to become a snake-oil salesman.

Edited by ryoder
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, billeisele said:

I wonder what would happen if there was a cap on spending based on the type of race? Going one step further, what if the amount spent on an election had to be matched with charitable giving or public works projects.

It just seems like a huge waste of money.

The conservative Supremes would never allow it.  Just look at what they did in Citizens United case.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Sexist, I think was the result of the second trial of the twice convicted racist.

Civil suit and Hobbs was not even named as a defendant.  Civil suits don't result in convictions.  If they did Trump would be in prison for fraud in (at least) two separate cases.

Kari Lake (Trumpist and Liar).

• Like 1