ryoder

Woman says Roy Moore initiated sexual encounter when she was 14, he was 32

We have a sexual predator as POTUS, the republicans want a child molester in the senate (he is also a white supremacist who thinks women should stay at home & not work for a living, thinks climate science is a hoax, thinks the Bible should replace the constitution), and yet they attack a black man for protesting.

The party of insanity, not law.

This isn't the America we created.

This IS the big picture.

RonD1120

At the end of the day we shall see what God wills. America is at a tipping point. Which way is she going to fall?

Meh...I think you are being a bit of a drama queen here. The outcome of the Alabama special election, while very interesting is not really going to tip the balance in any appreciable way. It's not even a very good indicator of how future elections may go. It has such a special player in Moore, and such a one sided state in Alabama that it has grabbed our attention. But the spectacle will change nothing in the end.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

The coming turmoil only increases.

Is this really because people who currently feel as though they have some social power (evangelical conservatives, or whoever you identify with in this case) will cause turmoil if they don't maintain the same type of power? If so, why is their lack, or loss, of power more important than the lack of power of women and minorities?

Women and minorities are just as dispossessed by the lack of jobs, presence of drugs, etc, so I'd think they have at least as much reason to turmoil it up. Which they're doing, but it's not all that dire so far.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

The coming turmoil only increases.

Is this really because people who currently feel as though they have some social power (evangelical conservatives, or whoever you identify with in this case) will cause turmoil if they don't maintain the same type of power? If so, why is their lack, or loss, of power more important than the lack of power of women and minorities?

Women and minorities are just as dispossessed by the lack of jobs, presence of drugs, etc, so I'd think they have at least as much reason to turmoil it up. Which they're doing, but it's not all that dire so far.

Wendy P.

You're right, it's not that dire so far. As I recall an old grad school term, it's the zeitgeist.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

In his last rally:

-Moore said he wasn't against Jews; heck, "one of our attorneys is a Jew."

-a supporter said Moore turned down underage Vietnam hookers, therefore he never molested any children.

-a supporter compared Moore's problems to a lynching, the South's traditional method of killing blacks.

Quite a candidate the GOP has there.

RonD1120

You and Dang are not looking at the bigger picture, only the micro issue.

And that's exactly the point.

You think blind partisan loyalty is 'the bigger picture' and any problems with a candidate (as long as they're on your side) are only micro issues.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

No!

This is the bigger picture.

Ephesians 6:12
For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

No!

For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.

Can you find a part of the bible that talks about people who speak about their own sanctity, make public displays of their own faith, maybe they they like to walk around in long robes, and they love the greetings in the marketplaces, the chief seats in the synagogues, and the places of honor at banquets? Tell me about that a little bit.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

RonD1120

No!

Yes!

So why do you care about anything? Why is it important to you that Trump is in office? Micro issue. Why were you desperate for Hilary to lose? Micro issue. Why do you keep ranting about Obama's supposed failings? Micro issues.

Why does any of it matter to you?

So why do you care about anything? Why is it important to you that Trump is in office? Micro issue. Why were you desperate for Hilary to lose? Micro issue. Why do you keep ranting about Obama's supposed failings? Micro issues.

That is a central part of why I find so much hypocrisy in Ron's thinking. On the one hand he will remind us all the time that the only thing that matters is salvation through his Lord. On the other hand it's very important to him to comment on the affairs of man as if they are important. Then when challenged to justify statements that are of dubious truthfulness he retreats back to saying only Jesus matters.

You just can't have a good discourse with a person who can only use magical thinking as backup.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

That is a central part of why I find so much hypocrisy in Ron's thinking. On the one hand he will remind us all the time that the only thing that matters is salvation through his Lord. On the other hand it's very important to him to comment on the affairs of man as if they are important. Then when challenged to justify statements that are of dubious truthfulness he retreats back to saying only Jesus matters.

You just can't have a good discourse with a person who can only use magical thinking as backup.

Do you recall me saying that there is a duality in Christian psychology. One, the most important is spiritual because we are spirit entities living in a physical body with a soul. The other is social and is this forum it is mostly political and racial. I bounce back and forth between the two psychologies.

Think of it like the yin and yang. There is a little bit of yang in the yin and vice versa.

https://www.nbcnews.com/card/early-exit-poll-republicans-white-evangelicals-think-accusations-against-moore-n828896

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance

To me, those two links sum it up. While I was raised in a religious household and truly respect religious people, I don't respect the ideas they hold. Evangelical voters in the United States are among the most dishonest, inconsistent, indecent and inhumane people when certain issues are on the table. If Satan won the Republican nomination for president by promising to ban abortion the Evangelicals would turn out in droves to shove him into office without a single look back.

I'm just waiting for the news that Alabama voters have done the wrong thing followed by the gloating from the apologists.

It's easy to use some stupid god claim to propel yourself to power, no god ever shows up to prove anybody wrong.

Think of it like the yin and yang. There is a little bit of yang in the yin and vice versa.

Sorry Ron. I think of it more as a moral duality. A way of feeling holier than thou. Or to put in in a secular context, wanting to have your cake and eat it too.

I bounce back and forth between the two psychologies.

Oh don't worry Ron, we've noticed. Whenever you know your social or political views are indefensible you bounce right on back to pretending to be above it all in the spiritual realm.

I was packing a reserve when my wife came downstairs to tell me there is hope in the world after all. I really had no idea she was even paying attention to it. So I turned on the CNN feed and listened to the Jones victory speech. All the time expecting a shot to ring out and fell him live on TV.

It's very easy to read too much into this. Moore was a deeply flawed man as a candidate. But to me, the best part is that this is the seat vacated by Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III. Who is actually even more evil than Moore.