ryoder

Woman says Roy Moore initiated sexual encounter when she was 14, he was 32

I remember the first reports on Weinstein. When it was reported that he was a democratic contributor, just about every democrat out there condemned him.

How is the right wing reacting to the reports that Moore assaulted teenage girls?

Alabama State Auditor Jim Ziegler: "Take the Bible. Zachariah and Elizabeth for instance. Zachariah was extremely old to marry Elizabeth and they became the parents of John the Baptist. Also take Joseph and Mary. Mary was a teenager and Joseph was an adult carpenter. They became parents of Jesus. There’s just nothing immoral or illegal here. Maybe just a little bit unusual.”

What is Moore doing with it? Fundraising of course!

"The forces of evil are on the march in this country . . . That's why I must count on the help of God-fearing conservatives like you to stand with me at this critical moment." (from recent fundraising letter)

More support for Moore:

==============
Alabama Republican chairman says he'd vote for Roy Moore even if Moore did commit a sex crime against a girl.

"I would vote for Judge Moore because I wouldn't want to vote for Doug," he says. "I'm not saying I support what he did."
==============

(from reporter Daniel Dale via Twitter)

normiss

But, but, but....It's just like jebus, Joseph, and Mary, and was totally consensual.
These people are insane.

Democrats have been throwing sexual transgressors under the bus on a daily basis for the last month. Mainly Hollywood insiders.

Republicans, well there is Alex Jones, Breitbart, etc. to defend the molester in chief-trump. Together with any other republican who thinks women, female kids, etc. are all fair game.

It will be interesting where the Alabama voter sits in this equation.

More from reporter Daniel Dale:
============================
Alabama Marion County GOP chair David Hall: "It was 40 years ago. I really don't see the relevance of it. He was 32. She was supposedly 14. She's not saying that anything happened other than they kissed."

Dale: "The story said she said he tried to get her to touch his genitals."

Hall: "Well, she said he may have TRIED to. But we're talking something that somebody SAID happened, 40 years ago. It wouldn't affect whether or not I'd vote for him. . . The other women that they’re using to corrobrate: number one, one was 19, one was 17, one was 16. There’s nothing wrong with a 30-year-old single male asking a 19-year-old, a 17-year-old, or a 16-year-old out on a date."
=============================
Alabama Mobile County GOP chairman John Skipper: "It does not really surprise me. I think it is a typical Democratic - Democrat - ploy to discredit Judge Moore, a sincere, honest, trustworthy individual. These allegations that surfaced today - to my knowledge, they're all bunk. No credibility whatsoever. If these allegations against Moore were true, Mitch McConnell's anti-Moore allies would have obviously found them and released them during the primary."
==============================

billvon

>It will be interesting where the Alabama voter sits in this equation.

It would not surprise me to see his support rise among Trump supporters.

Trump ADMITTED to adultery.
Trump ADMITTED to groping other guys' wives.
Trump ADMITTED to walking in on naked Miss Universe contestants.

And still Alabama (and the rest of the Bible Belt) voted for him.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Meanwhile the republican party has stopped fundraising for the choice of the Christian right.
"The National Republican Senatorial Committee, the Senate GOP’s campaign arm, will no longer help fundraise for Alabama GOP Senate nominee Roy Moore, according to paperwork filed with the Federal Election Commission."
http://thehill.com/...draise-for-roy-moore

Confusing God and country: Meet Roy Moore, Alabama’s next senator
Alabama’s likely senator isn’t just a “Christian conservative.” He wants a theocratic state under “Biblical law”
https://www.salon.com/2017/10/01/confusing-god-and-country-meet-roy-moore-alabamas-next-senator/

^^^^^^^^^^^
This story should be required reading to understand the hypocrisy of the "Christian conservative".

billvon

Latest poll:

Roy Moore is still winning, but barely - 46.4% to 46%. 82% have heard of the allegations; 54% think he shouldn't withdraw. That number matches closely to the number of evangelical Christians in the survey; 56%.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ddhqpolls/AL+Sen+11.9.17.pdf

Remember that the Dem. candidate was the prosecutor who finally won convictions against Ku Klux Klan members, decades after the bombing that killed four little black girls at the 16th Street Baptist Church in downtown Birmingham.

It says something about Alabama that he's behind in the polls.

>Remember that the Dem. candidate was the prosecutor who finally won convictions against Ku
> Klux Klan members, decades after the bombing that killed four little black girls at the 16th Street
> Baptist Church in downtown Birmingham.

Hey, there was blame on both sides for that bombing. You had a group on one side that was bad and you had a group on the other side that was also very violent. Nobody wants to say it, but I will say it right now.

There were some very bad people in that group. But you also had people that were very fine people, on both sides.

Moore only believes in the First Amendment when it's applied to his religion:

"Our Constitution states, “Each House [of Congress] shall be the judge … of the qualifications of its own members.” Enough evidence exists for Congress to question Ellison’s qualifications to be a member of Congress as well as his commitment to the Constitution in view of his apparent determination to embrace the Quran and an Islamic philosophy directly contrary to the principles of the Constitution. But common sense alone dictates that in the midst of a war with Islamic terrorists we should not place someone in a position of great power who shares their doctrine. In 1943, we would never have allowed a member of Congress to take their oath on “Mein Kampf,” or someone in the 1950s to swear allegiance to the “Communist Manifesto.” Congress has the authority and should act to prohibit Ellison from taking the congressional oath today!": Roy Moore, Dec. 2006

In light of the recent accusations, it's interesting to go back and see if an attitude of "it's not the man's fault" pervades any of his judicial decisions during that time:

================
In a 2015 case involving a man, David Pittman, who pleaded guilty to raping an underage girl, Mr. Moore wrote in a dissenting opinion that Mr. Pittman should have been allowed to introduce evidence showing his alleged victim’s parents “suspected her of sexual activity,” because it could be relevant to discerning her “alleged motive” in claiming she had been assaulted.

And in a 2014 case, involving a man convicted of abusing two underage girls, Mr. Moore wrote in a dissenting opinion that the man, Sherman Tate, should have had the chance in court to demonstrate that his accusers were romantically involved with each other. Mr. Moore wrote that connection “could be relevant to the victims’ alleged bias against Tate.”
=================
http://www.newsdiffs.org/diff/1533997/1534088/https%3A/www.nytimes.com/2017/11/09/us/politics/mcconnell-roy-moore-sex-teenagers.html

Meanwhile, Hannity asked Moore if he dated women in their teens when he was in his 30's. His reply - "Not generally, no." So apparently, sometimes he did.

Then he fervently denied buying them alcohol - "I have never provided alcohol to minors." Interesting, because no one has accused him of anything like that - or even asked him about it. Why the denial?

The way I see it is that anyone who was already willing to vote for Judge Roy before this information came out is not likely to change their mind over it. They will justify it in one of three ways. It is not true, it is true but it happened a long time ago and things were different back then, or the victim deserved it.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

“God’s laws are always superior to man’s laws,”, Judge Roy Moore.

So the following are OK according to Moore:

Sacrificing as a burnt offering your young son (Genesis 22:2) or your daughter, if she comes out of the doors of your house to meet you (Judges 11:30-1, 34-5).

Having rebellious children stoned to death by all the men of the city (Deuteronomy 21:18-21).

Purchasing slaves (Leviticus 25:44-46), selling your daughter as a slave (Exodus 21:7-8) and making sure they submit to their masters, even cruel ones (1 Peter 2:18).

Executing pagan priests on their own altars and burning their bones (2 Kings 23:20-25).

Cutting off the hand of a woman if she grabs the penis of a man who is fighting with her husband (Deuteronomy 25:11-12).

Committing incest (Genesis 19:31-36) and cannibalism (2 Kings 6:28-29).

And having the military do all sorts of things to the enemy that would violate the Geneva accords:

Kill all boys and women but spare the girls who have not known man intimately for yourself (Numbers 31:17-18).

Destroy all that they have, killing man, woman, child, infant, ox, sheep, camel and donkey (1 Samuel 15:3).

If we are going to take biblical law as the legal standard, we’re also going to have to ban the following:

Non-submissive women (Ephesians 5:22).

Cheeseburgers (Exodus 23:19), shrimp po’ boys (Leviticus 11:12) and ham sandwiches (Leviticus 11:4).

Blended fabrics (Leviticus 19:19), rounded haircuts (Leviticus 19:27), tattoos (Leviticus 19:28), rude jokes (Ephesians 5:4), divorce (Luke 16:18) and using automobiles or electricity on the Sabbath (Exodus 35:3).

Additionally, women will not be allowed to teach in houses of worship (1 Timothy 2:12), men will not be allowed in at all if their genitals have been injured (Deuteronomy 23:1), and blind people, dwarves and the lame will not be allowed at the altar (Leviticus 21:17-23).

He also made it clear (in a 2014 interview) that the First Amendment applies only to Christians.