ryoder

Woman says Roy Moore initiated sexual encounter when she was 14, he was 32

RMK

Yes, Volvo doesn't have a pickup truck in their vehicle lineup.

Here's some Moore backing from over 50 Alabama pastors:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/alabama-clergy-supporting-roy-moore-show-crisis-in_us_5a0a5590e4b0065239218392

That letter was written before all of this.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

wmw999

Um... Alabama Volvo owners probably watch NPR. Just sayin'

Wendy P.

Well, since it's Alabama, they might. But I bet they are more likely to listen.

:)

***Nelson said before Moore opened the door -- at which point she either fell out or he pushed her out -- he told her: "You're just a child and I am the District Attorney of Etowah County, and if you tell anyone about this, no one will ever believe you."

Given the reaction of the GOP and the evangelicals, it would appear that he is right.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Yes, it is an older letter. Written before the primary. Roy's wife Kayla reposted it on her FB page last Sunday without mentioning that fact. At least a couple pastors have asked to have their names removed from it.

Kayla Moore, wife of Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore, shared a letter on Facebook over the weekend indicating support from more than 50 Alabama pastors. Not all the pastors said they gave permission for their name to be be used on what appears to be a recycled letter from before the GOP primary, however.

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/11/53_pastors_sign_letter_of_supp.html

Huffpo is using it in a misleading way. They should and probably do know better.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

The sad thing is, Roy Moore continues to be stubborn. He ain't backing down. It's also too late for his name to be removed from the ballot in next month's election, but there is another way...

The Senate can vote to kick him out before he can serve. I believe there is precedence. So far, he's 0-2 on not finishing a term of service he was elected to... he's gonna be 0-3.

Fuck Roy Moore. :|

We've been seeing the usual from the right:

1) He didn't do it.
2) OK he might have done it but it's not that bad.
3) Clinton did it first.

While we've seen all three, 2) is perhaps the oddest, because of the rationale used.

Jim Ziegler, the state auditor for Alabama, said this - "Take the Bible. Zachariah and Elizabeth for instance. Zachariah was extremely old to marry Elizabeth and they became the parents of John the Baptist. Also take Joseph and Mary. Mary was a teenager and Joseph was an adult carpenter. They became parents of Jesus. There’s just nothing immoral or illegal here. Maybe just a little bit unusual.”

Ignoring the historical inaccuracies, isn't the whole thing about Mary is that it was an immaculate conception? You know, without sexual contact?

But that led me to think - maybe he was being as accurate as he could. Perhaps to men like him, of course Mary and Joseph had sexual contact (because what else would an adult carpenter do with a teenager?) and of course that has to be denied because of the damage it could do. Roy Moore is living proof of such thinking. So in that way it might be a very apt analogy.

ryoder

Interesting account of what happened to another Alabama man who had a thing for 14 year-olds: https://www.thedailybeast.com/this-alabama-man-spent-five-years-in-prison-for-enticing-a-14-year-old

It's important to separate the issues. With Moore we're not talking about a court case with carefully collected evidence and a sting operation set up to easily establish the crime. The point is to keep him out of office because of what we know about him, not what can be put together inside of a courtroom. As it stands, several independent accusers or sexual assault with minors, several others with stories of him flirting with underage women, an ACTUAL ban from the mall where he used to troll for underage girls, written proof in a yearbook with one of the accusers that he was in contact with her. All of this is reason for Alabama voters to get someone else on the ballot but (as far as I know) not actionable evidence for a courtroom.

DJL

***Interesting account of what happened to another Alabama man who had a thing for 14 year-olds: https://www.thedailybeast.com/this-alabama-man-spent-five-years-in-prison-for-enticing-a-14-year-old

It's important to separate the issues. With Moore we're not talking about a court case with carefully collected evidence and a sting operation set up to easily establish the crime. The point is to keep him out of office because of what we know about him, not what can be put together inside of a courtroom. As it stands, several independent accusers or sexual assault with minors, several others with stories of him flirting with underage women, an ACTUAL ban from the mall where he used to troll for underage girls, written proof in a yearbook with one of the accusers that he was in contact with her. All of this is reason for Alabama voters to get someone else on the ballot but (as far as I know) not actionable evidence for a courtroom.

The fact that Roy Moore had such backing before all this came out gave me pause. Everything that I had heard of him indicated that he is a despicable piece of shit, and these latest allegations are very much in keeping with what I would expect of him.

Karma is a bitch, and I certainly hope his downfall is just beginning. Prison, where he would get free food, housing and medical care, is better than he deserves. One could only hope that he would be treated as befits 'short eyes' if he was to be sentenced like any other pedophile.

BSBD,

Winsor

billvon

We've been seeing the usual from the right:

1) He didn't do it.
2) OK he might have done it but it's not that bad.
3) Clinton did it first.

While we've seen all three, 2) is perhaps the oddest, because of the rationale used.

Jim Ziegler, the state auditor for Alabama, said this - "Take the Bible. Zachariah and Elizabeth for instance. Zachariah was extremely old to marry Elizabeth and they became the parents of John the Baptist. Also take Joseph and Mary. Mary was a teenager and Joseph was an adult carpenter. They became parents of Jesus. There’s just nothing immoral or illegal here. Maybe just a little bit unusual.”

Ignoring the historical inaccuracies, isn't the whole thing about Mary is that it was an immaculate conception? You know, without sexual contact?

Nope - the doctrine of the Immaculate Conception concerns the conception of Mary without sin, not the virgin birth of JC.

All rubbish, of course.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>Nope - the doctrine of the Immaculate Conception concerns the conception of Mary without sin,
>not the virgin birth of JC.

Sorry, incorrect term usage on my part. Yes, the immaculate conception of Mary (which is generally interpreted as a normal conception with some changes in the process by God to keep her soul "immaculate") followed by the virgin birth of Jesus.

billvon

>Nope - the doctrine of the Immaculate Conception concerns the conception of Mary without sin,

Sorry, incorrect term usage on my part. Yes, the immaculate conception of Mary (which is generally interpreted as a normal conception with some changes in the process by God to keep her soul "immaculate") followed by the virgin birth of Jesus.

Basically she got knocked up and everyone bought their BS story, then thing got way out of hand...

Basically she got knocked up and everyone bought their BS story, then thing got way out of hand...

Don't tell anyone. But between you and me, I was told that she was raped by an uncle and couldn't tell anyone because she would have been stoned as an adulteress if she did.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

So Trump said this on Saturday:

"I've been with you folks so I haven't gotten to see too much. And believe it or not even when I am in Washington and New York I do not watch much television. I know they like to say, people that don't know me like to say I watch television. But I don’t get to watch much television. Primarily because of documents. I’m reading documents. A lot."

So he just hasn't seen much. Doesn't know much about it. He doesn't really watch much TV, you see. Reading 'documents' you know like smart people do. Roy who?

From The Hill today:

=========
McConnell told reporters that Trump called him from Vietnam last week to discuss what to do about Moore, who faces multiple sexual accusations — including from one women who said they had a sexual encounter when he was 32 and she was 14.
=========

Given that, how strange that he would claim no knowledge!

billvon

Suffering through 13 years of mandatory bible study left me a well armed (figuratively) atheist.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

This is awesome:

Desperate Moore supporters in Alabama are placing fake robocalls to people to try to convince them that there is an evil Washington Post plot to smear Moore. Complete with fake Jewish name and fake over-the-top New York accent! That's a troll worthy of Speaker's Corner.
=======================================
Alabama voters reportedly got fake robocalls from Washington Post seeking damaging info on Roy Moore

by Katie Leach | Nov 14, 2017, 6:31 PM
Wednesday, November 15, 2017
Washington Examiner

Voters in Alabama reported receiving robocalls seeking damaging information on Roy Moore as the race for Attorney General Jeff Sessions' vacated U.S. Senate seat heats up amid sexual assault allegations.

Pastor Al Moore told WKRG that he received a robocall from the Washington Post’s “Bernie Bernstein” looking for damaging information on Moore in exchange for money.

The full voicemail read: “Hi, this is Bernie Bernstein. I’m a reporter for the Washington Post calling to find out if anyone at this address is a female between the ages of 54 to 57 years old willing to make damaging remarks about candidate Roy Moore for a reward of between $5,000 and $7,000 dollars. We will not be fully investigating these claims, however we will make a written report. I can be reached by email at [email protected]. Thank you.”

The Washington Post responded to these robocalls in a statement that the message was fraudulent and “bears no relationship to reality.”

“The Post has just learned that at least one person in Alabama has received a call from someone falsely claiming to be from the Washington Post,” Marty Baron, the paper's executive editor, said. “The call’s description of our reporting methods bears no relationship to reality.”

Baron added, “We are shocked and appalled that anyone would stoop to this level to discredit real journalism.”

A spokesperson for Roy Moore’s campaign told reporters he’s never heard of this kind of robocall.

Over the course of the past week, five women have come forward to accuse Roy Moore of sexual harassment and assault while they were teenagers.

I've been thinking about what it must take to get banned from an Alabama mall in the early 80's because you are too creepy. I mean, if you were a creepy old guy who liked kids a little too much and had a beard, they gave you a red suit and a paycheck around Christmas and had kids sit in your lap. He was creepier than _that?_

billvon

I've been thinking about what it must take to get banned from an Alabama mall in the early 80's because you are too creepy. I mean, if you were a creepy old guy who liked kids a little too much and had a beard, they gave you a red suit and a paycheck around Christmas and had kids sit in your lap. He was creepier than _that?_

That reminds me: 'Tis the season to rent "Bad Santa" again.:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

As I understand it, the route that some republicans are looking for is that he wins, gets denied the seat and the Governor appoints someone in his place. I don't know if that's realistic.

DJL

As I understand it, the route that some republicans are looking for is that he wins, gets denied the seat and the Governor appoints someone in his place. I don't know if that's realistic.

Another interesting idea: http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/11/ex-mcconnell_aide_floats_jeff.html
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Charlie Sykes (Conservative talk show host) said of Trump right after the riots in the Carolinas in August
"I’m shocked but not surprised. Denouncing Nazis is the easiest thing in the world: All it requires is a modicum of historical perspective and a working moral compass. Instead, we got this Dumpster fire."

In Hannity's case, this could be re-written with:
"I’m shocked but not surprised. Denouncing underage girl chasers is the easiest thing in the world: All it requires is a modicum of historical perspective and a working moral compass. Instead, we got this Dumpster fire."

And now woman #6 has come forward - minutes after a press conference where Moore once again denied everything. It is notable that this happened after he was married.

I wonder if he asked her mother before grabbing her butt?
==================================
New Roy Moore accuser: 'He didn't pinch it; he grabbed it'

Updated November 15, 2017

By Anna Claire Vollers
[email protected]

A Gadsden woman says Roy Moore groped her while she was in his law office on legal business with her mother in 1991. Moore was married at that time.

In the past week, Moore has been accused by five other women of a range of behaviors that include sexual misconduct with a woman when she was 14, and sexual assault of another when she was 16. This is the first public accusation of physical contact that happened after Moore was married.

In recent days, Moore has publicly denied any wrongdoing, and has denied knowing some of the women.

In interviews with AL.com, Tina Johnson recalls that in the fall of 1991 she sat in the law office of then-attorney Roy Moore on Third Street in Gadsden. Her mother, Mary Katherine Cofield, sat in the chair next to her. Moore sat behind his desk, across from them. Johnson remembers she was wearing a black and white dress.

Almost from the moment she walked in to Moore's office, Johnson said, Moore began flirting with her.

"He kept commenting on my looks, telling me how pretty I was, how nice I looked," recalled Johnson. "He was saying that my eyes were beautiful."

It made her uncomfortable. "I was thinking, can we hurry up and get out of here?"

Johnson was 28 years old, in a difficult marriage headed toward divorce, and unemployed. She was at the office to sign over custody of her 12-year-old son to her mother, with whom he'd been living. Her mother had hired Moore to handle the custody petition.

Johnson had two young daughters at the time with her then-husband, and her son said he wanted to live with his grandmother.

At one point during the meeting, she said, Moore came around the desk and sat on the front of it, just inches from her. He was so close, she said, she could smell his breath.

According to Johnson, he asked questions about her young daughters, including what color eyes they had and if they were as pretty as she was. She said that made her feel uncomfortable, too.

Once the papers were signed, she and her mother got up to leave. After her mother walked through the door first, she said, Moore came up behind her.

It was at that point, she recalled, he grabbed her buttocks.

"He didn't pinch it; he grabbed it," said Johnson. She was so surprised she didn't say anything. She didn't tell her mother.

She said she told her sister years later how Moore had made her feel uncomfortable during that meeting. Her sister told AL.com she remembers the conversation.
===========================