airdvr

spending time with Jebus

RonD1120

Playing the race card, eh.

Me? Read that post again. Who is the author? You did not write it, why is it not credited?

I already know why. The man who wrote it was discredited and forced to resign because it's clearly racist. YOU are the one playing the race card.

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/gop-official-forced-to-resign-after-comparing-immigrants-to-rabid-raccoons/
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Americans need to understand.

2 Corinthians 3:5 New King James Version (NKJV)

Actually Ron, Americans do not need to understand or read any of the passages in your book of fables. It says so in your Bill of Rights. First Amendment.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

***Playing the race card, eh.

Me? Read that post again. Who is the author? You did not write it, why is it not credited?

I already know why. The man who wrote it was discredited and forced to resign because it's clearly racist. YOU are the one playing the race card.

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/gop-official-forced-to-resign-after-comparing-immigrants-to-rabid-raccoons/

Well I'll be danged. I thought he was comparing the critters in the swamp to raccoons. I honestly never thought about illegal immigrants.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

Depends on why one prays. Praying for stuff, yeah. Praying thanksgiving, it’s one way of reminding oneself to be grateful. Praying for strength, a way to think of what’s important to spend strength on, and to remember that most of us have access to more internal mettle than we access regularly. It can be a shared experience.

I’m not getting into whether one talks with God that way. There you’re getting into belief and faith, which is kindness of like telling someone they’re wrong in how they feel.

It’s one person’s way. However, demanding it of others is just as wrong as telling someone that they’re praying wrong.

Looking at much of anything human through a single lens is generally comforting ones preconceptions, not illuminating an actual subject.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

>There would need to be another agency who's job agency who's job was to do
>spot inspections of facilities and check that they followed certain guidelines.

OK. What guidelines?

The FTC has a framework of guidelines.

ETA: Although - enforcement is an issue.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

bus03-complying-made-usa-standard.pdf

Looking at much of anything human through a single lens is generally comforting ones preconceptions, not illuminating an actual subject.

Sometimes I wish there was a "like" button on these posts.

Don

normiss

Praying is a complete waste of time.

Perhaps, but it may also achieve some of the effects of meditation - to reset perspective and mindset.

Donald Lopez, a WWII ace with the Flying Tigers and the USAAC, had a take that I find interesting. During flight training, the cadets would look at the sky on the way to the flight line, saying "come on Dave, just a couple of hours more clear weather." Quite who or what 'Dave' was was never specified.

Lopez noted that upon occasion, such as being jumped by numerous Japanese aircraft and trying to ruin their afternoon's target practice, he found himself saying "okay, Dave, I could use some help here."

There have been a couple of times when flying where panicking seemed appropriate, but I managed to keep flying the plane. Perhaps having a discussion with 'Dave' might have helped get past being scared shitless, but it did not occur to me at the time. There are atheists in foxholes.

BSBD,

Winsor

winsor

***Praying is a complete waste of time.

Perhaps, but it may also achieve some of the effects of meditation - to reset perspective and mindset.

Donald Lopez, a WWII ace with the Flying Tigers and the USAAC, had a take that I find interesting. During flight training, the cadets would look at the sky on the way to the flight line, saying "come on Dave, just a couple of hours more clear weather." Quite who or what 'Dave' was was never specified.

Lopez noted that upon occasion, such as being jumped by numerous Japanese aircraft and trying to ruin their afternoon's target practice, he found himself saying "okay, Dave, I could use some help here."

There have been a couple of times when flying where panicking seemed appropriate, but I managed to keep flying the plane. Perhaps having a discussion with 'Dave' might have helped get past being scared shitless, but it did not occur to me at the time. There are atheists in foxholes.

BSBD,

Winsor

When the human spirit communicates from the heart with God's spirit for the sake of the soul words or names are not important. Words are only human symbols. God understands the groanings of the heart.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

jaybird18c

I think it's interesting that it makes you cringe. Do you have the same visceral reaction to others of different religions who may display or communicate their faith?

Absolutely. If you choose to worship an imaginary friend in the sky be my guest. When you are part of a business function keep it to yourself. It has no place there.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Of course you'll be saying that to the next Muslim who takes his prayer time at work or the next Orthodox Jew who wears his Kippah to the next corporate dinner, right? Maybe, even tell the Muslim how silly Muhammad was? Or really, isn't it just Jesus who chaps your ass?

DanG

Uh, no. As much as you want non-religious people to secretly be anti-Christian to stoke your feeling of persecution, it's not true.

And yet, there is something about the name of Jesus, the Christ.

And yet, there is something about the name, Mohammed.

And yet, there is something about the name, Buddha.

And yet, there is something about the name, Jehovah.

And yet, there is something about the name, Ganesh.

- Dan G

Actually, your post made my point. For whatever reason, modern conservative Christians have this desperate need to feel persecuted. They seem to get a sense of purpose by thinking everyone else is out to get them, even though Christians are a majority in most if not all Western countries.

Most non-religious people (who actually are still persecuted) just want to be left alone. The reason you may see us criticizing Christianity more than other religions is simply because Christians are the ones forcing their religion down our throats the most often.

- Dan G

DanG

Actually, your post made my point. For whatever reason, modern conservative Christians have this desperate need to feel persecuted. They seem to get a sense of purpose by thinking everyone else is out to get them, even though Christians are a majority in most if not all Western countries...

Well, when any group has held power and privilege for a long time, they get used to it.

And when they are forced to treat those they have held power and privilege over as equals, they feel persecuted.

If it's a group that they consider very inferior to themselves, then they feel it more.

When the Evangelicals are forced to treat Muslims as equals, they hate it.

When bigots are forced to recognize that a Black man is president, they hate it.

When sexists are forced to face the possibility of a woman as president, they hate it.

So they make up stories, blow small incidents waaaaaay out of proportion, scream 'you are persecuting me" and pass laws that protect and justify their discrimination ("protection of religious freedom, anyone?) and generally act like assholes.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Airdvr said the topic of conversation at the Tuesday networking lunch concerned racoons and the damage they can cause. The female attorney, obviously just participating in the discussion, describes her own experience. Apparently she was in her home, in a room, and praying, as Christians do, when she heard the noise. Should she have lied, making up some other story so as not to offend anyone with Jesus? Why should she have to? Why does it offend people who don't believe, as it obviously does, any more than talking about racoons?