brenthutch

Trump won because...

Well, he called her a nasty woman, criminal, ugly, sick, and a whole lot of other stuff.
There wasn't a whole lot of honor to run around here. One candidate started in the pigpen, but the other one jumped in.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

Well, he called her a nasty woman, criminal, ugly, sick, and a whole lot of other stuff.
There wasn't a whole lot of honor to run around here. One candidate started in the pigpen, but the other one jumped in.

Wendy P.

I don't know how it was for you, but around here (Green Bay WI TV market), the whole thing was really negative. From the local (state legislature) to House & Senate to Pres.
The "Action Groups" were really negative from the start, but the candidates themselves got pretty ugly by the end ("I'm XXX and I approved this ad). For the last week or so, all of Clinton's ads were pretty much Trump soundbites (all the nasty ones) and the statement that he wasn't fit to hold the office.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I live in Massachusetts. No one advertises here; it's a foregone conclusion. Kind of like when I lived in Texas (although Houston was a changing place).

Watching from the sidelines, like I said, it seemed she jumped right in, but he was always willing to up the ante, and she was always willing to go along. What a shit show.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

Wendy P.

She said that before he got the nomination, when the smart money was on Jeb. (Her husband's golf partner's son)

wmw999

One candidate started in the pigpen,

this makes me chuckle

"He started it"
"She started it"

when the SOP for the last couple decades is the pigpen, that position just doesn't fly

It's step #1 of the playbook - and regardless who did it first, or who did it more (or who each side THINKS did it worse/first) - the protest votes against those tactics will always go against the career politicians as it's perceived to be them that created the atmosphere

now, in reality, it's probably the public (demand) and the media (supply) that let it happen and encouraged politics to play out/evolve this way - Billvon's point that the any decent policy speeches get little to no press is dead on - across the board. If you want to hear a good speech from 'your' candidate, probably easy enough to find plenty, but it won't be provided to you. Those don't sell

the public is so busy brainwashing themselves, at least no one has to do it for them any more

now back to more insistence of "MY candidate didn't start it, and even if they did, the OTHER candidate is so much worse"

there's a ton of commentary about social media, self affirmation culture, etc etc etc. the 60 Minutes focus group story. more, that really has some insight. It not a surprise at all. But stepping out of the bias box to observe it and noting everyone is part of it is the hard part apparently....

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

brenthutch

(Her husband's golf partner's son)

I like that Bill and George are such good friends. They know stuff that only the other does and it seems sincere and real.

and.....it'll be less than a couple months before Donald and family are playing with Hillary's little grandbaby and she and Bill smiling on....one big happy power collective all in the same control room. (Ivanka and Chelsea are buds)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

now back to more insistence of "MY candidate didn't start it, and even if they did, the OTHER candidate is so much worse"

You do remember that you were doing exactly that just a few days ago, right?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

wmw999

Wendy P.

And she called me a deplorable...
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

normiss

While the votes are still being tallied and the Electoral College doesn't actually vote until December 19th.....Ms. Clinton is leading by over 800,000 votes.
:S

And that means exactly nothing.

Had the rules been different the campains would have been different.

And for all anybody knows the outcome may have been the same.

Trump won!

Get over it.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

***Well, he called her a nasty woman, criminal, ugly, sick, and a whole lot of other stuff.

Wendy P.

And she called me a deplorable...She said half of Trumps supporters were "in a basket of deplorables". Which means half were not. If you feel you're in the deplorable basket, it's because you choose to put yourself there.

Don

jakee

nope - you must have hit your head. do you know who my candidate was even?

brenthutch

We are going to have the hottest First Lady in the world!

If only that benefited anyone besides the person she sleeps with.

In fact, it's a huge detriment to most females who don't rate high enough of the Trump scale of "beauty" and therefore worth.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

rehmwa

nope - you must have hit your head. do you know who my candidate was even?

No, but you were oh so very clearly claiming that one candidate did more negative campaigning than the other. In fact, you said the whole election hinged on it.

So why is it ok for you to talk about it, but just partisan bickering for anyone else to talk about it?

jakee

you were oh so very clearly claiming that one candidate did more negative campaigning than the other

no I didn't - but don't let that stop you

(I said regardless of how it went, fair or not, the protest vote would go against the 'insider'. I also commented on those that acted like it was purely one sided as well. that's about it)

rehmwa

***you were oh so very clearly claiming that one candidate did more negative campaigning than the other

no I didn't - but don't let that stop you

(I said regardless of how it went, fair or not, the protest vote would go against the 'insider'. I also commented on those that acted like it was purely one sided as well. that's about it)

Yeah sure that's about it... if you ignore the stuff you said that I'm specifically referring to:S

rushmc

***Well, he called her a nasty woman, criminal, ugly, sick, and a whole lot of other stuff.

Wendy P.

And she called me a deplorable...

Very perceptive of her.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

CanuckInUSA

If someone is unaware of how corrupt, dishonest and evil the Clinton's are, well that's just sad and a product of the corrupt and dishonest media.

It's interesting how people react to the pluses and minuses of the two candidates. Everyone has them. (Just using your post as a starting point.)

Some right wing people say the left wing people just didn't understand the desire for change in the Washington power structure. That's why Trump won, they say. But It's not that some of us aren't aware of problems in that regard.

The negatives of Trump so totally disqualify him to be president in our minds. Sure, Hillary may be a sleazy power hungry Washington politician, and more so than most, but at least she's a reasonable politician and able to act like a rational human being.

(There may be some personality issues involved too -- Some on the left may not like people who act like big loudmouthed egotistical macho jerks. But what if someone like that is an effective leader at the same time? Ok, some on the left might think, maybe it's ok for a drill sergeant or a mafia don or Hells Angels leader, but not for a normal leader in society.)

So if Trump is just an unfit human being for the job, it doesn't matter whether there might be some interesting ideas he has, some things that whether good or bad are within the range to be debated or discussed rationally.

(While I might be identified as being on the left, there are plenty of times I might have thoughts that aren't politically correct and want to be able to discuss them rationally and not be shot down for voicing them. It is easy to both be concerned about the right and the far left at the same time.)

I'm not sure that the worst things said about Hillary really are true, and maybe I'm uneducated on the matter. But what Trump says still disqualifies him -- whether it is the things he says of people, or the endless ignoring of facts. (And we're not talking about just the occasional oversimplified misstep, as nobody can be entirely correct about everything all the time. Ah, one can long for the innocent era of Dubya Bush's verbal goofs!)

To exaggerate as a mental test case: Even if one gives the right wingers the benefit of the doubt by thinking the worst of both candidates, Trump still doesn't seem like the right choice. If one did believe Hillary to be really evil, then it's almost like you had two candidates who are suspected murderers in their spare time. One keeps quiet about it and otherwise tries to act normal, while the other brags about it and flaunts it. Do you pick the person who at least goes about their workday normally, or the one who flaunts it too?

It will be interesting to see how much of Trump's words are things he really will try to follow up on, versus being the words of a snake oil salesman for a hooked crowd. And how much he really can push through Washington.