azdiver

opinions on doing a mr bill stunt

some skydivers i jump with want my sister to do a mr bill with them incase u dont know what it is they plan to exit at 13k feet one person hangs on to the harness of the other person as they exit as soon as they are clear of the plane one pops there chute while the other hangs on, then the second person climbs up the persons and gets on their shoulders then jumps off. sounds simple but i can imagine all the possibiliteis of something going wrong and someone get killed
light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

I hate it when people reply like this, but I'd recommend that you do a search. Do one both here and on Skydiving Movies. There have been a lot of hot threads about the jumps and enough videos of them going wrong to dissuade her from trying one. Frankly, your S&TA may not even allow one.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

How much experience does your sister have? Skydivers are famous for bringing new females into jumps that are way too dangerous for their skills.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Sounds like a really great time, until something goes terribly wrong!

Isn't skydiving thrilling enough without doing stupid shit?

If it were my sister, friend of just someone on the internet I have never met before, I would advise against it.

Then freewill takes over...
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Personally I would recommend against this unless she is not looking forward to another birthday.

Why would anyone do something stupid? When we are already taking on added risk with all else that can go wrong. Yes, there is enough said here to make people understand that its just not right to do...

So dont do it....
Kenneth Potter
FAA Senior Parachute Rigger
Tactical Delivery Instructor (Jeddah, KSA)
FFL Gunsmith

sounds simple but i can imagine all the possibiliteis of something going wrong and someone get killed

Mr Bills are fun if done correctly.

And, have you ever thought this can happen even if she's doing a solo?

Be safe
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Don't know how many jumps your sister has or how hot she is ;) but honestly, stunts can really increase the risk and hence should only be attempted by jumpers with a fair amount of experience.

As for this particular stunt, I have tried it 4 times and never quite managed to stay on for the entire deployment. However, I did get a nice black eye from one attempt.
Rigger, Skydiver, BASE Jumper, Retired TM

have you ever thought this can happen even if she's doing a solo?

A solo Mr. Bill? Good for a skitzo with 2 personalities...

For more personalities? A solo 10 stack...

Someone could get killed even when doing a solo skydive.....

Not just by trying a Mr Bill :S

Be safe
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Personally I would recommend against this unless she is not looking forward to another birthday.

Why would anyone do something stupid? When we are already taking on added risk with all else that can go wrong. Yes, there is enough said here to make people understand that its just not right to do...

So dont do it....

Good God, it's a Mr. Bill, not a blindfolded low pull contest.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Good God, it's a Mr. Bill, not a blindfolded low pull contest.

I agree. (the caveat here is that it's pretty stupid to try when the first deploy is a high performance canopy - but under a typ old 7 cell, etc, it can be pretty fun and not too dangerous - unless you're an idiot and try to land it, but no one would try that:P)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

is she the hanger or the deployer in their wet dreams????

But seriously, I did one when I had abotu 120 jumps, and was the deployer, I had a safire 179 at the time and it went great...watching the person do a back layout off my toes was pretty cool as well...

but we got lucky in our stupidity for the time being anyway....

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

it can be pretty fun and not too dangerous - unless you're an idiot and try to land it, but no one would try that:P)

Yeah, never would happen...

http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=1654&string=Mr%20Bill

besides what could go wrong???? :S

http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=1437&string=Mr%20Bill
:P
Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

if its done right, with appropriate gear and experience, its a lot of fun.B|

if something goes minorly wrong, someone might have a reserve ride or an injury.

if something goes majorly wrong, two people could die.:|

its up to you to decide if the risks equal the rewards.

I have attempted it twice. First time I was the sluggo, and it didn't work. I got a nasty lineburn on my neck.
2nd time I was the mr. bill and it went great.

MB 3528, RB 1182

I guess I had doen Mr. Bill jumps from the standard viewpoint. But now that I am much older feel these are dangerous to do and at 37 would not even think of it.

My Mr. Bill jumps were jumping static line with MC1 parachutes were three of where contected together and the 3rd man contected to the UH-60. First man exits usually the lightest and the next one goes about a secound later and the next (last one) being the heavest... Parachute snap hook connected to the D-ring of the harness.
I was usually the 2nd man out.. Usually as done it twice once out of OV-10 and the last time UH-60. Now that we think of this it was ever amazed the jumpmaster ever let us do this... but then again when your riggers everyone leaves you alone.....

Unless you decide to take a MT1 out at 1500 feet and get that caught on video, well then the punishment was a letter in your file... Was there but did not do it...
Kenneth Potter
FAA Senior Parachute Rigger
Tactical Delivery Instructor (Jeddah, KSA)
FFL Gunsmith

It's fun when done correctly, but can go bad quickly. We had a jumper who broke his femur when he tried to do one and his main opened too quickly. (And landing a reserve with a broken femur is not that fun.) We had a few other that had massively unstable deployments - one got the main risers wrapped around the Mr. Bill. (Consider how you would deal with a horseshoe attached to the _other_ guy.) Fortunately they cleared with little more than some riser burns.

All in all it's considerably more risky than a regular jump, and the risk should be considered before trying it.

I think I replied to one of these threads a few days ago or something. If you talk to people at your DZ who have done them, and have experience doing them, its not something that is unreasonable and can be fun. There are added risks though, just like everything else in skydiving. When you introduce complexity you introduce added risk.

That said, I was outside video on 2 recently and they went off without a hitch. They were done by reasonably competent skydivers and everyone involved had a good time.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

...and this is dorkzone.com, not a dropzone filled with real skydivers, hence some of the responses

Ah, the voice of reason:S

It is a higher risk jump. If people are willing to take that risk, I hope they are smart enough to take extra precautions.

I have 10-15 of them, both as a Sluggo and as a Bill.

If it were not for me listening to Winsor, one of them that seemed like a good idea, might have killed me.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334