regulator

Nancy Pelosi should keep her mouth shut

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi says the word “Redskins” is a slur that the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office should not protect.

“We all respect freedom of speech, but the trademark office has rejected names which are considered offensive and they should do it now,” Pelosi told the National Congress of American Indians, via the Huffington Post. “They can keep their name on the team, but when it comes to all the stuff — that’s serious money. So I think that is one path that we can go.”

The NFL and its teams have trademarks that prevent unauthorized sellers from selling merchandise with team names, colors and logos. Losing the trademark on the name would allow anyone to print knockoff Redskins gear and cost the team and the league millions of dollars a year in merchandising.

Dan Snyder may not be willing to change the Redskins’ name because some Native Americans are offended by it, but he would likely change his mind on the subject if losing the trademark affected the team’s profitability.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/13/nancy-pelosi-says-redskins-should-lose-their-trademark/related/

Since when did this cunt earn enough credit to made decisions for a privately owned NFL franchise?

Dan Snyder may not be willing to change the Redskins’ name because some Native Americans are offended by it, but he would likely change his mind on the subject if losing the trademark affected the team’s profitability.

They can't force him to change the name of his team, I bet that drives them wild. There may be some Native-Americans that would bee offended if they were to change the name of the team. Pete Roselle, (deceased [:/] ) and Paul Tagleableau
Best-
Richard

Nothing makes an angry conservative even angrier than one of those "loud mouth women" :D Damn bitches, why don't they just go back into the kitchen?! And you are totally right bro, how dare some damn CUNT say anything bad about a FOOTBALL team!

But the thing is.. it's not up to you to decide whether its a slur or not, and the general consensus among civilized people is that redskin is sure as shit a slur. If you don't like it, maybe you should go back to whatever European country you came from?

On a serious note, you need real counseling for your anger/women issues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR-tbOxlhvE

I have no idea how nations native to North America view it. I know there is a vocal group that has an issue with such names. I would not be surprised to find they really just want money out of it, but I have no idea. I just find money is often at the root of these kinds of things.

Personally, I always viewed the names of the Atlanta Braves, Washington Redskins, etc. a reference to the fierce warrior spirit and honorable traditions of native nations. I never saw it as a slur. How could it be? Would you name your team "drunk-ass has-beens" to inspire them?

If I owned the team, I would probably really piss the vocal group off with an official statement. I would explain how the name and associated references were meant to inspire the team. How it was meant to remind them of the fighting spirit, nobility, and proud warrior culture that characterized the native nations. I would then regretfully announce that the team name was changing because those once proud people were now ashamed to acknowledge that heritage and send forth their most fierce warrior, Nancy Pelosi, to represent them.

If the nations don't care to be remembered as inspirational, then let them have their wish.

Keep in mind, that would only be if the nations truly stand behind those who view things like Pelosi. I'm not at all convinced they do. I have no data.

My .02

ETA: Googled a question as to whether Native Americans consider Redskins a slur. This is what came up first. It cites a survey that showed 90% do not. Not definitive, but I find it is generally hard to get 90% of any group to agree the sky is blue. Pretty persuasive.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/10/08/how-many-native-americans-think-redskins-is-a-slur/
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

davjohns

Personally, I always viewed the names of the Atlanta Braves, Washington Redskins, etc. a reference to the fierce warrior spirit and honorable traditions of native nations. I never saw it as a slur. How could it be? Would you name your team "drunk-ass has-beens" to inspire them?

Absolutely!
Here is a list of slur words used to describe various ethnic groups.
How many of these words have been used as team names? (other than "Redskin")

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_slurs
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

It's Ms "You have to pass it to see whats in it".

Just what we would expect it seems to me
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

ryoder

Absolutely!

There's a pretty well-known team called the "New York Yankees." "Yankee" or "Yank" is a pretty well-known worldwide pejorative (sort of the equivalent of "Limey" or "Kraut." And has been and remains pejorative in parts of the country.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

lawrocket

Absolutely!

There's a pretty well-known team called the "New York Yankees." "Yankee" or "Yank" is a pretty well-known worldwide pejorative (sort of the equivalent of "Limey" or "Kraut." And has been and remains pejorative in parts of the country.

Bzzzt! Terrible analogy example, on several levels. Try another one.

There's the Giants. I can't tell you how that slur upsets "big and tall" people. Then you have the Chiefs. That glorification of the power elite really annoys the rank-and-file members of the tribe. Of course, the name Braves annoys the Chiefs. If only we could find names that don't mean anything and can't be placed in any logical order of increasing importance. That sounds like something Pelosi could really sink her teeth into.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

[Reply]Terrible analogy example, on several levels. Try another one.

Why? I'm open to explanation.

My belief is that it is subject to lines being drawn. And different people draw them in different places. Perhaps in twenty years people will start saying that the term "Vikings" is bad.

I can see a team name like the Lafayette Coonasses being objectionable by lots of people and being rabidly supported by self-identifying coonasses around Lafayette and elsewhere.

But as I've also stated with regard to auto names, we'll name a rugged car a "Cherokee" but not name an economy car a "Jew." Because there are lines.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

skinnay

Nothing makes an angry conservative even angrier than one of those "loud mouth women" :D Damn bitches, why don't they just go back into the kitchen?! And you are totally right bro, how dare some damn CUNT say anything bad about a FOOTBALL team!

But the thing is.. it's not up to you to decide whether its a slur or not, and the general consensus among civilized people is that redskin is sure as shit a slur. If you don't like it, maybe you should go back to whatever European country you came from?

The name has an expiration date. And Pelosi is hardly the ringleader here - one of ESPN's main football columnists has for years referred to them as the "Potomac Drainage Basin Indigenous Persons" and the NYT Sports page (yeah, stop laughing) also won't use Redskins any more.

Nancy Pelosi is an idiot. Her gender has nothing to do with her being an idiot. She just happens to be an idiot who is female. If a male acted the same way Pelosi acts (you know there is no shortage of them who are out there), they too are idiots regardless of their gender. So why are all the Progressives here attempting to make this thread into a gender issue thread? What a joke.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over