1 1
quade

Russian legislators approve troop deployment in Ukraine

quade

This just in...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOO2kAdlo-8

Here's a thought, maybe if the US does diplomacy first and threatens sanctions that's possibly a better way of dealing with things than rushing in with military force and escalating things.

Ultimately its a European problem... let them deal with it. They have been getting away with us protecting them for way too long.
Our deficit is directly related to being the WORLD cop for way to long.

Let the EU defend themselves, although we could probably be persueded to sell them a few goodies that are really good at blowing up Russian shit.;)

Nelyubin

Not so Sir, I believe that our PM Mr Cameron has already raised an eyebrow at Mr Putin. Furthermore he is preparing to 'Tut' loudly at the UN (I hear he may even go as far as accompanied eye rolling).

Mr Cameron should consider how to pay foreign debt.

Quite right Nelly, France is looking good, not to far off, better weather good tourism decent brie. Maybe we should invade them. I shall suggest it to him over tea and scones this afternoon.Wow. Britain has a military base in French soil? I did not know.
irony

Not yet ;)
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

mirage62

Funny, I re-read the title thread to make sure what it said. I thought maybe it was "Russia invades, due to America's mistake"

It seems to me that no matter what happens some people here can turn anything and make it a discussion as to what America - and generally during Bush term - has done wrong.

Russia is invading another country. So many of you have stood on your soap box and condem America for the mistakes of this.

Where are the howl's at what Putin is doing?

What are you talking about??
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Amazon

***This just in...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOO2kAdlo-8

Here's a thought, maybe if the US does diplomacy first and threatens sanctions that's possibly a better way of dealing with things than rushing in with military force and escalating things.

Ultimately its a European problem... let them deal with it. They have been getting away with us protecting them for way too long.
Our deficit is directly related to being the WORLD cop for way to long.

Let the EU defend themselves, although we could probably be persueded to sell them a few goodies that are really good at blowing up Russian shit.;)

Wrong this is a Russian problem, let them deal with it. Ukraine is not part of the EU it is part of the former USSR. Russia wants to protect its ethnic population in the Crimea while protecting its southern access to the Black sea and three major oil pipelines from a revolution in which the vanguard of which are anti Russian neo Nazis, I can't say I blame them.
John Kerry's speech yesterday was a total joke, full of hypocrisy, blatant lies and naivety. Mostly aimed not at Russia but at the American people with string bullshit about fighting tyranny, yet no mention of banning Russian as a language throughout the Ukraine. I hope the American people don't suck that shit unthinkingly through the straw of the media.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

John Kerry's speech yesterday was a total joke, full of hypocrisy, blatant lies and naivety. Mostly aimed not at Russia but at the American people with string bullshit about fighting tyranny, yet no mention of banning Russian as a language throughout the Ukraine. I hope the American people don't suck that shit unthinkingly through the straw of the media.

Do you think Putin's press conference statements were true?

- Dan G

I think there was a mixture of truth and falsehoods required to achieve his goal of protecting Russia's interests in the region. I'm not saying that I agree with his methods but I do understand that he is doing what is best for his country. The media coverage we have been getting in the west however is very one sided and ignores genuine issues surrounding the Ukrainian crisis and genuine grievances and concerns that Russia has.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I think there was a mixture of truth and falsehoods required to achieve his goal of protecting Russia's interests in the region. I'm not saying that I agree with his methods but I do understand that he is doing what is best for his country. The media coverage we have been getting in the west however is very one sided and ignores genuine issues surrounding the Ukrainian crisis and genuine grievances and concerns that Russia has.

So you condemn Kerry's speech as full of blatant lies and hypocrisy, but you're okay with Putin's blatant lies and hypocrisy? Having legitimate interests in Ukraine doesn't excuse an armed invasion (unless you believe Putin that no Russian troops are on the ground, just local defense forces that happen to look exactly like Russian troops without their insignia on).

I'm not sure what Western media coverage you're been watching, but what I've seen on Al Jazeera America and NPR has been pretty balanced.

- Dan G

Skyrad

******Doesn't matter. The President has made a statement that there will be consequences. So we're stuck.

Now we either do something and probably look bad. Or not do anything and look even worse.

Just like Bush with South Ossetia and Abkhazia.

Basically there is nothing the US or its allies can do, just like there wasn't in 2008.

Russia has a veto at the UN. It supplies most of Europe with its natural gas. It also has plenty of natural resources. So embargo won't fly, and we certainly aren't going to invade Russia.

Not so Sir, I believe that our PM Mr Cameron has already raised an eyebrow at Mr Putin. Furthermore he is preparing to 'Tut' loudly at the UN (I hear he may even go as far as accompanied eye rolling). If that fails the USA and Uk combined will draw a line in the sand, and if Mr Putin has the temerity to cross it together we will be forced to draw another line in the sand. (Following which we will beg him not to cross it and if he does will he please not cut off our gas as we have sod all military left and no public appetite for any form of confrontation following a decade of vanity wars).

Well, Ukraine has dropped out of the "Top 5" stories on Google News today, so it seems the eyebrow raising and tut-tutting were enough without the eye rolling.

Today it's all about Oscar Pistorius and a student suing his her parents over college costs.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

***Her.
;)

Fixed.She should be. Otherwise, she'll probably reproduce.

Don

DanG

So you condemn Kerry's speech as full of blatant lies and hypocrisy, but you're okay with Putin's blatant lies and hypocrisy? Having legitimate interests in Ukraine doesn't excuse an armed invasion (unless you believe Putin that no Russian troops are on the ground, just local defense forces that happen to look exactly like Russian troops without their insignia on).

I'm not sure what Western media coverage you're been watching, but what I've seen on Al Jazeera America and NPR has been pretty balanced.

Again.
1) In the Crimea, Russia has military bases. Russia has the right to place on the bases in the Crimea 25,000.
2) The pictures on the internet is not a form of the Russian army.

Nelyubin

Again.
1) In the Crimea, Russia has military bases. Russia has the right to place on the bases in the Crimea 25,000.
2) The pictures on the internet is not a form of the Russian army.

I am betting they are not Ukranian troops on Ukranian soil..

Do you have ducks in Russia??

Do they quack and waddle and look like ostriches??

Do you have ducks in Russia??

It's easy to understand why Russia has military bases in Crimea. It was once Russian territory and even when Khrushchev gave Crimea to Ukraine, he did it in a time when Ukraine was still part of the Soviet Union. If America can have a military base on Cuba, Russia can have military bases in Crimea. No need to talk ducks here.

Now it is clear Putin is just kicking sand in Obama's and the rest of NATO's face here. Putin knows NATO will not do anything with these Russia troop movements into Crimea. Obama, Kerry and the rest of the Western leaders can make all the financial treats that they want. But at what cost? Do they really want to reopen the Cold War. There is major BS going on on both sides of the fence here. It really sucks for the people of Ukraine, but Ukraine is not a NATO member and there was a reason why NATO rejected the idea of Ukraine joining the alliance. Who knows what Putin's end game is, only time will tell. But as long as this does not escalate beyond Crimea, nothing really bad will happen. Russia will once again have control of a territory it once had control over. But all the members of NATO really do need to re-evaluate the alliance now. Not so much why the alliance exists. That is a no brainer, we know why NATO exists. But each NATO member state needs to re-evaluate their own commitment to their own defense. Relying on the US to save the day could very well back fire one day.

Now you want to know what's really messed up? If China was to move on Taiwan in a similar manner to what Russia is doing. If the US was to come to Taiwan's aid, the US tax payers would end up funding both sides of the conflict. Now that is messed up. :o

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Andy9o8

***You're right, it's not Ukrainian army.
This defense units of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!
quack.???? Dear, I did not give you an excuse for personal insults.
Possibly it is your personal signature?
Then it is pleasant to get acquainted.

Learn to read in other languages.
On the Internet a lot of information available.