1 1
quade

Russian legislators approve troop deployment in Ukraine

Southern_Man

I'm just not sure we have any moral grounds to stop him.

I don't think the US has any moral basis to tell any country to stop interfering in any other country's affairs.

I think it depends on a number of factors. I just don't see any valid ones coming into play in this case yet.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Southern_Man

I don't think the US has any moral basis to tell any country to stop interfering in any other country's affairs.

Yeah I think the "Bush Doctrine" blew any moral ground we may once have had right off the planet.[:/]

Southern_Man

100% Spot on

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

quade

I think it depends on a number of factors. I just don't see any valid ones coming into play in this case yet.

Well there's the standard ones...

• President is on low popularity ebb - so may try to boost his standing.. especially with the Military (who he is currently reducing)

• Economy in the toilet - change the story on the front page (bit late for this one tho)

• Holy war .. nope doesn't apply here - too bad .. helps to have the loonies on your side

• Stick it to the Commies - Get the right wing loonies on your side nope doesn't apply here - too bad,there's no commies left any more

• Hey got it ... They have WMDs .... well [doh] yeah but they also have a standing army that knows how to fight and aren't a bunch of simple goat heards armed with flint-locks this time ... best we back off then:P

(.)Y(.)
    Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

The last Crimean War (1853-56) led to very far reaching consequences; among them:

Introduction of modern nursing

Diplomatic alliances that led inexorably to WWI (and thence to WWII and the cold war)

Sale by Russia of Alaska to the USA in order to pay off its war debts.

Fall of the British "Aberdeen" government.

Eventual decline and end of the Ottoman Empire and Austro-Hungarian Empire.

Seems to me that history teaches that we need to be VERY careful about the Crimea.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

The last Crimean War (1853-56) led to very far reaching consequences; among them:

Diplomatic alliances that led inexorably to WWI (and thence to WWII and the cold war)

Seems to me that history teaches that we need to be VERY careful about the Crimea.

...not to mention a poem that I was forced to memorize and recite in high school. For the sake of future students everywhere, ...stay the hell out of there!

muff528

...not to mention a poem that I was forced to memorize and recite in high school. For the sake of future students everywhere, ...stay the hell out of there!

Tennyson, no doubt.

lawrocket

Doesn't matter. The President has made a statement that there will be consequences. So we're stuck.

Now we either do something and probably look bad. Or not do anything and look even worse.

Just like Bush with South Ossetia and Abkhazia.

Basically there is nothing the US or its allies can do, just like there wasn't in 2008.

Russia has a veto at the UN. It supplies most of Europe with its natural gas. It also has plenty of natural resources. So embargo won't fly, and we certainly aren't going to invade Russia.

kallend

***Doesn't matter. The President has made a statement that there will be consequences. So we're stuck.

Now we either do something and probably look bad. Or not do anything and look even worse.

Just like Bush with South Ossetia and Abkhazia.

Basically there is nothing the US or its allies can do, just like there wasn't in 2008.

Russia has a veto at the UN. It supplies most of Europe with its natural gas. It also has plenty of natural resources. So embargo won't fly, and we certainly aren't going to invade Russia.

What many people fail to realize is these people have long memories... they are still working out crap that started over 100 years ago.. lots of payback has been a hallmark of Russian existence.

quade

The US seems to have fallen into the trap of trying to be the police force of the world recently. Your government seem to expect that they need to intervene in every squabble - whether they have a good reason to or not...

From what I've seen so far this is a good one to sit out. I haven't seen any legal reason anyone else should get involved yet.

If Russia starts a coup or murdering Ukranian citizens, then fine - an international action should be taken. But for now the US needs to rally support of everyone else in case action is needed rather than making an attempt solo.

That comment by Obama seemed like a rookie mistake to me. It was obvious that Putin would ignore it.

Aaagh. crap, from my local news correspondent in Crimea interviewing some pro Russian person, I just found out that there were NATO funded rebel camps in my back yard, supporting riots in Kiev etc.
    Russian Fed. propaganda machine is even stronger than the one brainwashing soviet troops during the cold war.

shropshire

That wold be CIA not NATO:P NATO can't fund it's self let alone 'secret' camps

Pity NSA and GCHQ waste so much time prying into the lives of ordinary people that they appear to be taken by surprise by stuff like this.

quade

Russian legislators approve troop deployment in Ukraine

MOSCOW -- Russia’s upper house of parliament unanimously approved a request by President Vladimir Putin to deploy armed forces on “the territory of Ukraine” to protect Russian military assets and Russian citizens living there.

Source; http://www.latimes.com/world/worldnow/la-fg-wn-russian-legislators-approve-troop-deployment-in-ukraine-20140301,0,5534961.story

Question: is there any legitimate reason the US should get involved?

30 years ago we'd be concerned with the spread of communism, but that's not an issue since Russia isn't communist now.

We'd also be concerned if Putin was a dictator, but regardless of his beating up some people against him, Russia as a whole seems to be doing quite well compared to before the wall fell.

This is the right decision by the president and the board of the federation.
    Many Russian citizens in solidarity with him.
    As for the statements of Obama and other politicians - the dog barks, but the caravan moves on.

Amazon

Yeah I think the "Bush Doctrine" blew any moral ground we may once have had right off the planet.[:/]

Yep! And the same goes for the UK sadly.
    When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
    Lucius Annaeus Seneca