regulator

Glock Vs. Springfield Armory

airtwardo

That said ~ 6 months to a year after you lug around whatever super coolio auto feeder it is you finally choose...if you're like me, you'll end up with something like this;

http://smithandwessonguns.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/smith-wesson-340-pd-scandium-titanium-357-magnum.jpg

Super lightweight, accurate with stopping power, simple & reliable. The 125 gr. .357 SJHP has been the top of the pyramid for one shot stopping for as long as I can remember.

It has a laser in the grip, and not being a squarish lump... it fits nicely in front of or behind my hip bone.

Many times I forget I'm even wearing it...never had that problem with the Glock! ;)

A 12oz 357?:o
What is the recoil like?B|
I used to get a sore wrist from doing 100 rds in a day with a stainless Ruger Security Six.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

A 12oz 357?:o
What is the recoil like?B|
I used to get a sore wrist from doing 100 rds in a day with a stainless Ruger Security Six.

It's a 'fast' sharp recoil for lack of a better term...

It does have some kick but it's different than with a light large bore auto, I can get back on target much quicker.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I stick with military calibers. My theory is, even if everything goes to shit, I can always steal ammo from the government.

To your request, go to a store and handle each one. They are all excellent weapons. If they meet your requirements, pick up each one repeatedly and bring it to bear. If one of them consistently fits your hand such that the sights quickly and easily line up on the target without you adjusting your grip or trying to find the front sight, it's probably your keeper.

My instructor in the police academy was an incredible shot with a handgun. He had a philosophy that has always stuck with me. He took his hat off and placed it over his chest COM. He said he only had to hit a target that size. More accurate was nice, but not necessary. All he really needed after that level of accuracy was speed.

Whichever pistol puts you on target fastest is the one you want in a bad situation.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

I have the Springfield XDs in a .45. Got if back from the recall before Thanksgiving

I feel it handles the .45 +p round as well as some 1911.'s

Slim and compfortable to carry. and if 6 rounds are not enough one can get the larger magazine and add to the grip lenghth
I really am impressed with this new design

As ar many
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

beowulf

SA is just as good as Glock. You really need to go to a range and rent both and see which you like better.

+1

It boils down to what fits you, the shooter!
Abraham Lincoln

sfzombie13

as far as stopping power for a pistol, the judge is hared to beat. the new rounds i saw that are made for self defense are pretty awesome, but a good 3" magnum slug is hard to beat. they are a little large for concealed carry, but i am going to get one at tax time this year.

the three inch magnum with the steel disks is a nasty load as well
Abraham Lincoln

beowulf

There are a lot of reasons to avoid shooting someone. One that wasn't mentioned is that even if you are justified you are highly likely to have to defend your actions in court. That could easily lead to bankruptcy. Or if it goes to a jury they could return a bad decision and you may end up in prison. Pulling that trigger must be a last resort when life is on the line and there is no other choice.

One of the things I recommend is having video available the the greatest extent possible if you have a firearm around. If you adhere to procedure line and verse, you can then address any claims to the contrary with a simple 'go to video.'

There are cheap dash cams out there, and having a lapel camera that you wear any time you have a firearm can save a hell of a lot of grief in the long run.

It is easy to follow procedure, but it can be very difficult to prove it if you do not plan ahead.

BSBD,

Winsor

winsor

***There are a lot of reasons to avoid shooting someone. One that wasn't mentioned is that even if you are justified you are highly likely to have to defend your actions in court. That could easily lead to bankruptcy. Or if it goes to a jury they could return a bad decision and you may end up in prison. Pulling that trigger must be a last resort when life is on the line and there is no other choice.

One of the things I recommend is having video available the the greatest extent possible if you have a firearm around. If you adhere to procedure line and verse, you can then address any claims to the contrary with a simple 'go to video.'

There are cheap dash cams out there, and having a lapel camera that you wear any time you have a firearm can save a hell of a lot of grief in the long run.

It is easy to follow procedure, but it can be very difficult to prove it if you do not plan ahead.

BSBD,

Winsor

very very good advice

I have a camera that looks like a remote for a car
Will record 6 hours of audio and color video
Abraham Lincoln

If I may...

I will once again suggest that, should you find yourself in a position where you were forced to kill someone, talk with an attorney before you talk to the police.

Whatever the circumstance; whether you have evidence or not; no matter what...you just killed someone. You need a breather. You need sound advice. You need to make sure YOU know what happened before you try to explain to someone else what happened.

After my first AFF jump, my instructor told me to go get a Coke, take a little time, go over the dive in my head, then we would talk. I realized that immediately on hitting the ground, i couldn't remember much about the dive. A while later, it came back to me. When discussing it with the instructor, it was clearer still.

Use the same technique right after any intense experience when you can.

As the philosopher White once said, "At that point, I had the right to remain silent; but I lacked the ability."

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

davjohns

If I may...

I will once again suggest that, should you find yourself in a position where you were forced to kill someone, talk with an attorney before you talk to the police.

Whatever the circumstance; whether you have evidence or not; no matter what...you just killed someone. You need a breather. You need sound advice. You need to make sure YOU know what happened before you try to explain to someone else what happened.

After my first AFF jump, my instructor told me to go get a Coke, take a little time, go over the dive in my head, then we would talk. I realized that immediately on hitting the ground, i couldn't remember much about the dive. A while later, it came back to me. When discussing it with the instructor, it was clearer still.

As the philosopher White once said, "At that point, I had the right to remain silent; but I lacked the ability."

More very very good advise.

I have videos from flexyourrights.org
The lawyer there supports exactly what you say
The police are NOT your friends
What you say WILL be used

He says that even if you have done nothing wrong and absolutley in the right, you have nothing to gain and everyting to loose talking to the police without a lawyer
Same for allowing searchs of your vehicle

Good advise davjohns
Abraham Lincoln

Buy a pistol that you will carry if carrying a pistol is what you want to do. I have a keltec in a pocket wallet print holster with me anytime I wear clothes with pockets. I have plenty of other options depending on the days activities, but the little keltec is always there. (assuming not a prohibited area)

A pocket pistol is a much better self defense weapon than a .45 in the safe or out in the car, not many cool points though.

chutem

Buy a pistol that you will carry if carrying a pistol is what you want to do. I have a keltec in a pocket wallet print holster with me anytime I wear clothes with pockets. I have plenty of other options depending on the days activities, but the little keltec is always there. (assuming not a prohibited area)

A pocket pistol is a much better self defense weapon than a .45 in the safe or out in the car, not many cool points though.

I agree with the carry it or it is no good point
I do not agree that a pocket pistol is the best
It may be the best for you and that is what counts
It may not be the best for me

I use a couple of different carry holsters
White Hat holsters deap conceal
http://www.whitehatholsters.com/iwb-holsters/
And a Sneaky Pete
http://www.sneakypeteholsters.com/springfield-xds-45-sneaky-pete-holster-belt-clip/
Covers a viriaty of situations and both have trigger covers which is important to me
Abraham Lincoln

chutem

Speaking of a pocket pistol
Have you seen this one?

I am not recomending it or debating its usfulness
I just became aware of it and thought I would share

http://www.doubletapdefense.com/
Abraham Lincoln

A bit pricey, but I like it. Of course, I liked the COP four barrel .357 when it came out. Then, reviews trashed it. Poor quality control. Hope this one is better.

beowulf

There are a lot of reasons to avoid shooting someone. One that wasn't mentioned is that even if you are justified you are highly likely to have to defend your actions in court. That could easily lead to bankruptcy. Or if it goes to a jury they could return a bad decision and you may end up in prison. Pulling that trigger must be a last resort when life is on the line and there is no other choice.

The following story is a great CASE IN POINT.

am sure this story was run here back when it happened back on Sept 17 2012. Crystal Scott was driving to work when she got into an altercation with Jonathan Ables and escalated into a road rage incident. The two after cutting each other off a couple of times along with brake stabbing each other finally made contact with Ables rear ending Scott and the two of them pulling into a gas station.

Supposedly Ables was so mad he ran up on Scott and started kicking her car and banging on the window in a violent manner. Scott feared for her life EVEN though Ables never made entry into Scott’s car. Scott shot Ables through the driver’s side window and killed him. During the whole incident she supposedly was on the phone with 911.

The next call she made was to her pastor who in turn got ahold of an NAACP lawyer and rushed out to the scene to complicate things.

The stories of witnesses and Scotts just didn’t line up but (IMO) because the NAACP lawyer was there along with the pastor they decided not to arrest Scott and let a grand jury decide her fate even though the Texas state law says you can’t instigate a fight and then claim self-defense after a shooting.

Scott was indicted with murder 5 months later for the shooting death of Jonathan Ables! Will she get away with it, not sure but one thing is clear; just because you have a gun doesn’t mean you can use it and walk away with clean hands

davjohns

If I may...

One thing I always remember is that in the case of a Police Officer shooting incident, the officer is not interviewed about it for a specific time period (2 or 3 days?) and must be done so in the presence of a Police Union attorney.
This isn't an option, it is mandatory.

A good CCW course will cover what to say. To the attacker, to bystanders/witnesses and to the cops.

If the course you (general you, not just aimed at Dave) took didn't cover this, spend a few bucks and talk to an attorney about it.
And make sure you have his card in your wallet right next to your carry permit.

In general, you say "he attacked me, there is the evidence, I will sign a complaint against him, I will make a statement at the appropriate time and under the appropriate circumstances. But this has been a nerve shattering experience, and I'm not willing to answer any further questions or make any further statements until I have a chance to consult with my attorney."

And then SHUT UP and call your lawyer.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

rushmc

***Buy a pistol that you will carry if carrying a pistol is what you want to do. I have a keltec in a pocket wallet print holster with me anytime I wear clothes with pockets. I have plenty of other options depending on the days activities, but the little keltec is always there. (assuming not a prohibited area)

And a Sneaky Pete
http://www.sneakypeteholsters.com/springfield-xds-45-sneaky-pete-holster-belt-clip/
Covers a viriaty of situations and both have trigger covers which is important to me

Maybe I was not clear, a pocket pistol (in your pocket) is better than a large bore pistol out in the car or in the safe (not with you when you need it). I did not intend to insinuate that a pocket pistol is a better weapon in a side by side comparison. Main point, If you want to carry buy something you will carry.

On a side note I just purchased a Howa 1500 in .308 today.;)

>A good video on general CCW concerns of 9mm vs .40 vs.45 (or rather,how silly it all is)

Yep,all the common pistol rounds are very weak.
Even the big magnum rounds are weak compared to most center fire rifles.
A regular old 150gr 30-30 round produces more muzzle energy than a 44mag. I think the 500 magnum will beat the standard 30-30 but not by much,and the 500 is a hand full to shoot.

Agreed. But concealing and carrying my 41lb .50BMG is just so awkward. And it makes my winky look small.

chutem

******Buy a pistol that you will carry if carrying a pistol is what you want to do. I have a keltec in a pocket wallet print holster with me anytime I wear clothes with pockets. I have plenty of other options depending on the days activities, but the little keltec is always there. (assuming not a prohibited area)

And a Sneaky Pete

Maybe I was not clear, a pocket pistol (in your pocket) is better than a large bore pistol out in the car or in the safe (not with you when you need it). I did not intend to insinuate that a pocket pistol is a better weapon in a side by side comparison. Main point, If you want to carry buy something you will carry.

On a side note I just purchased a Howa 1500 in .308 today.;)

I think it was me that was not clear
I agree totally with you
In the car does not do you any good
My point was buy what you will carry
But what I carry is obviously different that what you carry

On your purchace
My last one was an Alexander Arms AR15 chambered in 6.5 Grendel. A 18" Satern cut stainless barrel. Got Vortex Viper 2 x 10 PST glass on top
Nice rifle out to 800 yards
Abraham Lincoln