Kennedy

Reporter is Enemy of the State for Reporting

‘Co-Conspirator’: Fox News Reporter James Rosen’s Private Emails Given To Justice Dept. By Google

As a result of Fox News Channel’s State Department reporter James Rosen’s 2009 investigation into the government’s response to North Korea’s repeated provocations, it was reported on Monday that the Department of Justice tracked Rosen’s movements as well as subpoenaed telephone and email records. According to the DoJ’s subpoena, Google surrendered Rosen’s emails, who is described as “an aider and abettor and/or co-conspirator,” to the government.

“Rosen was not charged with any crime, but it is unprecedented for the government, in an official court document, to accuse a reporter of breaking the law for conducting the routine business of reporting on government secrets,” declared New Yorker reporter and CNN contributor Ryan Lizza.

That's right boys and girls. The DOJ under Obama are now calling reporters enemies of the state for doing their job. Reporting the news gets you labelled as “an aider and abettor and/or co-conspirator,” to foreign governments.

ETA:
Report: Justice Department targeted TWO Fox News Channel reporters and a producer for talking with government sources
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Reading the DOJ vs James Rosen document...

I mean, you did actually read the document before swallowing the article hook, line and sinker? Yes?

Here.
http://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/702199/d-o-j-versus-james-rosen.pdf

So, the reporter used typical spy recruitment tactics to ASK for a top secret (actual honest to fuck TOP SECRET) file. Mr. Kim then gave it to him.

And you wonder if this investigation was justified?

Really?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

It's the new black. Take someone or some organization that you don't like. Call that person or organization a "threat to national security." [I]Carte blanche means that arbitrary and capricious are expected.

Uh oh...

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Yes. I read the document. It says the reporter was doing his job. You know, the one protected by the first amendment. There's a reason why we don't have any laws that criminalize printing classified information. The crime is sharing government secrets with unauthorized recipients. Wow, I thought you were hypocritical for not caring about the second amendment. It seems you are fairly consistent. You don't support the first either. I bet you're even wishy washy on the fourth.

The guy giving up secrets is a criminal. The guy receiving them is not. That's called being a reporter. When you find yourself supporting an administration that bastions of left, right, and center disapprove of, in what appear to be pushing limits d constitutional power, do you ever wonder if blind party allegiance is affecting you reason?
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Kennedy

The guy giving up secrets is a criminal. The guy receiving them is not. That's called being a reporter.

Depends on which secrets he's "reporting" on.

So what great social injustice was this guy fighting for that required him to coerce a government employee to hand over a top secret document? Oh, wait...it's WASN'T a whistle blowing case? It was just leaking a top secret document?

Guess what? That ain't protected.
quade -

What's your solution? Make it illegal for reporters to ask sources for information or documents? I happen to appreciate the free press, even when I can't stand some of them.
witty subliminal message
1*

normiss

Speaking of which, how's Mr. Assange doing these days?
;)

Still evading an arrest warrant in Europe somewhere related to sexual assault, as far as I know. Not facing any charges in American court.

ETA: apparently he's still holed up in the Ecuadorean embassy in London. Manning on the other hand (the source) is in custody awaiting court martial.
witty subliminal message
1*

Kennedy

What's your solution? Make it illegal for reporters to ask sources for information or documents? I happen to appreciate the free press, even when I can't stand some of them.

I also appreciate a free press, but I also appreciate the necessity and importance of keeping top secret intelligence briefings out of the hands of unauthorized persons until the information in them is no longer relevant and can be declassified.

Or . . . do you think it's appropriate and we should allow any and all top secret intel to be handed out and printed? Does that even vaguely make sense?

If a top secret intelligence briefing made its way to North Korea through Fox News and that jeopardized members of the US military, do you think that's "just reporting"? Seriously?
quade -

quade

***What's your solution? Make it illegal for reporters to ask sources for information or documents? I happen to appreciate the free press, even when I can't stand some of them.

I also appreciate a free press, but I also appreciate the necessity and importance of keeping top secret intelligence briefings out of the hands of unauthorized persons until the information in them is no longer relevant and can be declassified.

That's why they do background checks for access to classified info and materials. That's why it's a crime to leak the info. That's why NDAs are so serious. You block the flow, you don't have to worry about where the flow might go.

quade

Or . . . do you think it's appropriate and we should allow any and all top secret intel to be handed out and printed? Does that even vaguely make sense?

Nice strawman. Has anyone suggested that?

I don't like the idea of criminalizing the press sharing information. It's their job. I like things as they stand. Sharing classified information is a crime if you are sworn to protect it. It's not for anyone else. If you hack in and copy it, you're guilty of the hack, but not do sharing it. If you break in and steal it, that's burglary. If someone hands or to you, you're not.

That's the way it should be. I see no need to make it any more insane about classified material.
witty subliminal message
1*

Kennedy

I don't like the idea of criminalizing the press sharing information. … Sharing classified information is a crime if you are sworn to protect it.

The leak of classified information absolutely should have been investigated. The reporter(s) who obtained the information should absolutely not be charged with a crime.

Fortunately, it appears that's exactly how the matter was handled. The leak was investigated, identifying the leaker, and the reporter was not charged with a crime.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

jcd11235

***I don't like the idea of criminalizing the press sharing information. … Sharing classified information is a crime if you are sworn to protect it.

The leak of classified information absolutely should have been investigated. The reporter(s) who obtained the information should absolutely not be charged with a crime.

Fortunately, it appears that's exactly how the matter was handled. The leak was investigated, identifying the leaker, and the reporter was not charged with a crime.

Right, they will just turn it over to the IRS and let them deal with the reporter.

I am in complete agreement with this.

And I even used to have a clearance :D. How scary is that!

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

quade

***The guy giving up secrets is a criminal. The guy receiving them is not. That's called being a reporter.

So what great social injustice was this guy fighting for that required him to coerce a government employee to hand over a top secret document? Oh, wait...it's WASN'T a whistle blowing case? It was just leaking a top secret document?

Guess what? That ain't protected.

1. Depends? Can you differentiate which secrets are "protected" and which aren't?

2. Is "social injustice" a requirement?

"So, the reporter used typical spy recruitment tactics to ASK for a top secret (actual honest to fuck TOP SECRET) file. Mr. Kim then gave it to him."

So where's the crime? Oh, yeah. It's already been pointed out to you.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

And he wasn't charged with a crime, which has also already been pointed out.

Previously the Republicans, including many vocally on this site, were constantly harping on the Obama Administration for being soft on classified leaks. Now that it comes to light that they have been aggressively investigating leaks, some of the same people are up in arms about that.

I've said all along, there are some people, and some "news" outlets, that would find a way to criticize Obama if he cured cancer.

- Dan G

I've said all along, there are some people, and some "news" outlets, that would find a way to criticize Obama if he cured cancer.

Well duh -- think of what that would do to the population explosion :o:P

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

jcd11235

***I don't like the idea of criminalizing the press sharing information. … Sharing classified information is a crime if you are sworn to protect it.

I totally agree

But know this, this reporter is now listed as a co-conspiritor. They could file charges at any time if they wish
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

DanG

And he wasn't charged with a crime, which has also already been pointed out.

Exactly
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

quade

***The guy giving up secrets is a criminal. The guy receiving them is not. That's called being a reporter.

So what great social injustice was this guy fighting for

even better, it ok to use spy tactics as long as it's a cause that Quade agrees with

you've been on a really serious roll lately

edit: nevermind - Pops already responded to it well.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

rushmc

But know this, this reporter is now listed as a co-conspiritor. They could file charges at any time if they wish

nonsense, Obama's team doesn't use intimidation to shut down free speech.....

that's just silly

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

The DOJ under Obama are now calling reporters enemies of the state for doing their job.

No they're not.

Reporting the news gets you labelled as “an aider and abettor and/or co-conspirator,” to foreign governments.

No it doesn't.

Two points: first, reporters can break the law in pursuit of a story and be prosecuted for it. Freedom of the press does not give carte blanche to commit offenses such as bribery, phone hacking etc. Whether or not that is the case in this instance, there may have been a legitimate suspicion that an offense had been committed.

Second, neither the administration nor the DOJ have accused the reporter of being an enemy of the state or of conspiring with foreign governments, nor have they implied it. If you think the actions actually taken are damaging to the administration at face value then you should not feel the need to add such (what I will charitably call) gross embellishments. I wonder why you do?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

DanG

And there are some people, and some "news" outlets, that would find a way to praise Obama if he started WWIII.
"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

rushmc

I totally agree

This agrees with what NPR has been reporting this morning.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

I totally agree

This agrees with what NPR has been reporting this morning.

Good news
I had not heard NPR but many other outlets are reporting this
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln