Kennedy

Reporter is Enemy of the State for Reporting

Kennedy

First, lets put 793d on record, so everyone can see it …

It's interesting that you should choose to examine only a single paragraph of the section to which I referred, instead of the entire section. Other paragraphs, such as c and e, seem more relevant. The application for a search warrant doesn't specify a particular paragraph of the section being violated.

Application
§ 793
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Gravitymaster

************Keep it up and they might remove your posts.
:):D

and audit his taxes

Nah, we will have to wait until a Republican gets the Presidency and sics the IRS on liberal groups and alphabet news organizations. Then he will get outraged.

IMHO none of them, liberal, conservative, middle of the road... should be exempt from taxes.

Every $ not paid by a tax exempt organization has to be covered by another taxpayer.

Talk about missing the point. :S

Perhaps, but I see that last comment as very Libertarian of our dear professor and the REAL issue (root cause). We shouldn't even have this type of exception - it's set up for abuse. it's designed for abuse. at it's very core, it's unfair.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Kennedy

IMHO none of them, liberal, conservative, middle of the road... should be exempt from taxes.

Every $ not paid by a tax exempt organization has to be covered by another taxpayer.

I happen to agree with you, but we have to deal with the law as it is, not as we wish it to be. If you want it changed, work to get it changed. Until then, the law needs to be applied as written and equally to all parties.

also true -

your reply - urgent and short term - address the abuse and preferential injustice

his reply - real fix and long term - stop picking winners and losers in the first place

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

quade

***I wonder how long it will be before citizens will be charged with treason for bad mouthing the government.

We have a LONG way to go before that. A really, really, fucking long way. Like a trip to the Andromeda Galaxy kinda long.

Take a look around at various web sites dedicated to bashing politics; both sides.

Do you see -any- sign of restraint let alone action?

Trust me. Things said off the cuff and without a thought or care in this country could easily get you killed in other "civilized" countries.

A LONG fucking way to go.

Bush was pretty effective in cordoning off, and roughing up protesters. In fact, in Pittsburgh, they arrested many and they were blocks from the IMF meeting. Plus we have have hate crimes laws, where speech is a part of the laws. Believe me, all our rights are under attack. The ability to defend ourselves and our speech.

quade

***I wonder how long it will be before citizens will be charged with treason for bad mouthing the government.

We have a LONG way to go before that. A really, really, fucking long way. Like a trip to the Andromeda Galaxy kinda long...

...trust me. Things said off the cuff and without a thought or care in this country could easily get you killed in other "civilized" countries.
quade

It's downright Nixonian.

That's downright hyperbolic.

Aside: I got a pretty good chuckle out of this...

quade

Prove it.

http://www.breitbart.com/InstaBlog/2013/05/22/Rep-Throws-the-Book-the-Constitution-at-Former-IRS-Chief

Rep. John Mica (R-FL) literally waved the Constitution at former IRS Commissioner Douglas Shulman at a House Oversight Committee hearing on the IRS scandal Wednesday, arguing that the IRS had suppressed the freedom of speech of Americans.
"You closed them down for 27 months," he told Shulman, holding up a poster of a timeline in his other hand.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

How were they "closed down"? As far as I know, they were perfectly capable of getting their messages out, but with some uncertainty as to the tax status of their "profits".

Speaking of which, why do organizations on either side even care about taxable status? Even if they were not granted tax exempt status, shouldn't all of their receipts go toward their expenses, thereby negating any signifant taxable "profit"? I can understand that they might raise more money one year with the intention of spending it the following year, but I suspect there's an accounting tool that could handle that (off-setting previous year gains with subsequent year losses). I don't know, whether you're for or against a woman's right to abortion (e.g.), any donations made to you in support of that position should be spent getting that message out, thus no taxable proceeds should remain.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

jcd11235

***First, lets put 793d on record, so everyone can see it …

It's interesting that you should choose to examine only a single paragraph of the section to which I referred, instead of the entire section. Other paragraphs, such as c and e, seem more relevant. The application for a search warrant doesn't specify a particular paragraph of the section being violated.

Application
§ 793

It's funny that you completely miss what the FBI was investigating. Did you bother to read the application? The reporter is called a coconspirator and/or aider and abetter of a violation of 793d. You can't just up and try another section of the law when you can't support your position. Read it. The alleged crime is violation of 793d.

I also noticed that you completely ignored the resort of my post. Do you have anything to say about conspirator vs aider and abetter vs solicitor? The FBI agent was wrong. Soliciting violation of 793 is not a crime. Conspiracy to violate 793 is a crime because 793g says so. No part of the law makes soliciting violation of 793 a crime.

Which brings us back to why the agent felt the need to call the reporter a conspirator. He didn't need to make the reporter party to the crime in order to seize email records. If he wasn't sending a message, then what the hell was he doing?
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

rushmc

***Prove it.

http://www.breitbart.com/InstaBlog/2013/05/22/Rep-Throws-the-Book-the-Constitution-at-Former-IRS-Chief

Rep. John Mica (R-FL) literally waved the Constitution at former IRS Commissioner Douglas Shulman at a House Oversight Committee hearing on the IRS scandal Wednesday, arguing that the IRS had suppressed the freedom of speech of Americans.
"You closed them down for 27 months," he told Shulman, holding up a poster of a timeline in his other hand.

I was unaware waiving a document was proof of violation.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Kennedy

Any chance you guys can take IRS stuff over to, I don't know, maybe the IRS thread?

Not to argue but
The two threads are totally related
As the actions against the conservative groups by the IRS and against the reporters by the DOJ had the same goal
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

***Any chance you guys can take IRS stuff over to, I don't know, maybe the IRS thread?

Not to argue but
As the actions against the conservative groups by the IRS and against the reporters by the DOJ had the same goal

Says you, but no.
quade -

quade

******Any chance you guys can take IRS stuff over to, I don't know, maybe the IRS thread?

Not to argue but

Says you, but no.

:D:D

There we have it
Close it down
Quade has settled it all

:S
Abraham Lincoln

rushmc

***Prove it.

That may be the silliest comment yet on this topic. Paying tax suppresses freedom of speech - NONSENSE, the guy's an idiot.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

That may be the silliest comment yet on this topic. Paying tax suppresses freedom of speech - NONSENSE, the guy's an idiot.

:D:D:D

About paying taxes????:D

Nope

The silliest comment on the topic is just above my post

:D:D
Abraham Lincoln

jcd11235

***The reporter is called a coconspirator and/or aider and abetter of a violation of 793d.

Yes, which appears to have been the case, among other violations.

Defend your position. Explain how the reporter conspired with the leaker. Keep in mind that asking someone to commit a crime is not conspiracy. I'll wait.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Kennedy

******The reporter is called a coconspirator and/or aider and abetter of a violation of 793d.

Yes, which appears to have been the case, among other violations.
Defend your position. Explain how the reporter conspired with the leaker. Keep in mind that asking someone to commit a crime is not conspiracy. I'll wait.

Now, maybe I read it wrong, that's not impossible, but when I read the warrant it appears as if the government insider gave the reporter his log in credentials and the reporter accessed the government site and read the documents that way.

That would mean the reporter was actively engaged in the crime.

Again, I might be wrong, but doesn't being actively engaged in a crime with another person make him a co-conspirator?
quade -

[Reply]As far as I know, they were perfectly capable of getting their messages out, but with some uncertainty as to the tax status of their "profits".

Uncertainty regading tax status would be enough to scare the bejeezus out of most people. Speak up and maybe face IRS sanction? Yeah - who wants to take that risk? I'm sure the IRS will be quite deferential.

As Jon Stewart said, I didn't think "I'm sorry" worked with anything IRS related.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

You do realize a 501(c)(4) doesn't have to ask permission from the IRS before doing business as tax exempt.

http://www.finance.senate.gov/newsroom/ranking/download/?id=e67b4d42-c368-48fb-bc87-720f62c86ad4

In other words . . . NOBODY'S freedom of speech was denied at any point whatsoever.

The companies could do EVERYTHING without ANY permission from the IRS.
quade -

quade

You do realize a 501(c)(4) doesn't have to ask permission from the IRS before doing business as tax exempt.

http://www.finance.senate.gov/newsroom/ranking/download/?id=e67b4d42-c368-48fb-bc87-720f62c86ad4

In other words . . . NOBODY'S freedom of speech was denied at any point whatsoever.

The companies could do EVERYTHING without ANY permission from the IRS.

Everything being reported shows you to be wrong
Abraham Lincoln